The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

8 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

I don’t know posters here well enough to know if anyone has any real insight but it is a question that has bothered me.

There has been a worldwide drive to develop a vaccine to get us all out of this pandemic.  With several nations and companies working on this vaccine now, we have seen a few shining successes, a few fairly successful, and some announced failures that will result in significant delays.

Why aren’t financial arrangements being made to allow the manufacture of the highly successful vaccines by the other companies, at least in the short term to get us past crisis mode?  I realize that different processes may be involved and manufacturing facilities cannot be put in place in a matter of weeks but it seems when some companies are predicting yearlong delays, what is preventing such arrangements?

That would require that the current administration take the pandemic seriously, which they never did except for a few short weeks back in the early spring.  Since then, Trump and his minions have pretended it's no big deal, including now when 15-20 k Americans are dying weekly of the coronavirus, as they continue to hold Christmas parties despite public health warnings against gatherings of almost any kind.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a friend who's been waiting in a holding room at a hospital for going on 19 hours because they can't get him a recovery room at any of 3 local hospitals. Has a broken wrist and the docs figure he's "ok" waiting a couple days.

This is the part of the pandemic where the system can't keep up. 

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I have a friend who's been waiting in a holding room at a hospital for going on 19 hours because they can't get him a recovery room at any of 3 local hospitals. Has a broken wrist and the docs figure he's "ok" waiting a couple days.

But the republicans here in this board kept telling me Hospitals are not overwhelmed...

Federal officials have said they expect to be able to vaccinate the bulk of the U.S. population by the middle of next year, but recent setbacks have challenged those estimates. Pfizer has told the federal government that it may not be able to provide an additional 100 million doses to the United States before the middle of next year because of agreements it has with other countries. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Federal officials have said they expect to be able to vaccinate the bulk of the U.S. population by the middle of next year, but recent setbacks have challenged those estimates. Pfizer has told the federal government that it may not be able to provide an additional 100 million doses to the United States before the middle of next year because of agreements it has with other countries. 

I’d say the bigger hold up is that the bulk of the population doesn’t seem to want it, more so than vaccine availability. Latest poll numbers I’ve seen show a 50/50 split and that number has done nothing but drop over the months of this pandemic. I’m not sure how much a public education campaign can help, but that’s where the feds and local DOH are certainly going to need to start. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, shoshin said:

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

But the republicans here in this board kept telling me Hospitals are not overwhelmed...

Hospital utilization is very uneven depending upon the area.    In areas with relatively low community spread like where I live in Chautauqua County the hospitals can function normally, but in areas with higher community spread like in and around Buffalo, the hospitals are stressed as evidenced by not doing elective surgery.   In some parts of the country, the conditions are much worse; emergency care has to be rationed so that patients like shoshin's friend who aren't in life threatening situations get shuffled to the end of the line.   The biggest issue that's emerging now is the lack of medical personnel.  Hospitals can expand their capacities by adding auxiliary facilities in tents or annex buildings but they can't add more doctors and nurses because there aren't any to be had.   Governors -- including Cuomo -- are asking retired medical personnel to return to help with the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d say the bigger hold up is that the bulk of the population doesn’t seem to want it, more so than vaccine availability. Latest poll numbers I’ve seen show a 50/50 split and that number has done nothing but drop over the months of this pandemic. I’m not sure how much a public education campaign can help, but that’s where the feds and local DOH are certainly going to need to start. 

The latest poll which came out yesterday has number of people willing to be vaccinated has grown to about 63% up from around 55-58% in October. I think that people are feeling more confident that the vaccine wasn't rushed to get it out before the election.   That the Brits have already started vaccinations without significant issues also makes people more amenable to vaccination.   The surging pandemic has probably also made people more willing to be vaccinated. 

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The latest poll which came out yesterday has number of people willing to be vaccinated has grown to about 63% up from around 55-58% in October. I think that people are feeling more confident that the vaccine wasn't rushed to get it out before the election.   That the Brits have already started vaccinations without significant issues also makes people more amenable to vaccination.   The surging pandemic has probably also made people more willing to be vaccinated. 

Heading in the right direction then at least. I also wonder how many people will actually make a doctors appointment and go in for these two shots. It’s one thing to say you will, but people are also inherently lazy and, as we have seen, quite selfish. 

TBT:

“But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”

However, Fauci also cautioned states against reducing social distancing measures too quickly, adding they must take “very significant precautions.”

“In general, I think most of the country is doing it in a prudent way,” he said. “There are obviously some situations where people might be jumping over that. I just say please proceed with caution if you’re going to do that.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/dr-anthony-fauci-says-staying-closed-for-too-long-could-cause-irreparable-damage.html

Saint Fauci,

May 22, 2020

Of course I think this was all orchestrated from the get go so.  A lot of privileged people that didn’t care what 18 months of "distancing" and closed schools would do to society are about to become extremely wealthy.  

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I liked the idea one of the Senator's had of tying the stimulus money to getting vaccinated.  You'd see the 20 through 40 crowd run to their local pharmacy/doctor's office to get there $1600 tax free check.  That would accelerate the herd immunity.  It would have to wait until the vulnerable get it first of course.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I liked the idea one of the Senator's had of tying the stimulus money to getting vaccinated.  You'd see the 20 through 40 crowd run to their local pharmacy/doctor's office to get there $1600 tax free check.  That would accelerate the herd immunity.  It would have to wait until the vulnerable get it first of course.

It would certainly force the anti-vaxxers to put their money where their mouths are.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I also liked that proposal very much. They could tie it into the stimulus bill they already plan on working on. I thought it was a very clever idea when I saw it. You’d get 90+% compliance nearly overnight. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I like the idea of the Senators getting it first! Now THAT would be a show of leadership and confidence.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I like the idea of the Senators getting it first! Now THAT would be a show of leadership and confidence.

They will get it first... If they haven't gotten it already. Don't worry, the wealthy gets it even before people with health problems.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Plus, most are in the at risk category anyways.  Have the ex presidents get it and all the at risk Senators.  Maybe get a prominent athlete like Lebron or Mahomes to take it too.  Maybe some celebs like Clint Eastwood or Oprah.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

IFR per CDC estimates of 10x actual # of cases is now 0.19

CFR is 1.88 

And these numbers would continue to plummet but someone is about to make billions off a vaccine so critical I don't really need it until June.   

Joke.  

More Americans are dying of covid-19 and complications from it every day than died on 9/11 or  in the attack on Pearl Harbor.   Big joke.

More Americans have died of covid-19 and complications from in the 10 months since February, 2020 than died in battle during the 45 months of World War II.    Big joke.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

More Americans are dying of covid-19 and complications from it every day than died on 9/11 or  in the attack on Pearl Harbor.   Big joke.

More Americans have died of covid-19 and complications from in the 10 months since February, 2020 than died in battle during the 45 months of World War II.    Big joke.

And?

Edit:  Those people aren't dying "every day."

Edited by Big Blitz

We "counted" 100K deaths from March to May 22.

2 months.  

In the 6 plus months since, it's 200K.....allegedly.  

In a nation of 330 million people.  

Doesn't seem to be in the Spanish Flus universe.   

No one asking if perhaps virus is doing what viruses do and that's become less lethal but more contagious or should I just accept closing schools and 6 feet mandates as businesses close and kids (who are at 10x greater risk from flu) lives are forever destroyed bc of our inability to think?

The issue isn't masks (they aren't working bc the CDC even gives you the clue why right there on their home page but no one cares to ask) it's about a proper response.  Kids should be playing sports and in school.  Period.  You want to put a 12 to 5am curfew in (the virus only works nights apparently) then find do that in your big city and kill it.  We warned you in March when 15 days turned to 30.  

Edited by Big Blitz

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We "counted" 100K deaths from March to May 22.

2 months.  

In the 6 plus months since, it's 200K.....allegedly.  

In a nation of 330 million people.  

Doesn't seem to be in the Spanish Flus universe.   

No one asking if perhaps virus is doing what viruses do and that's become less lethal but more contagious or should I just accept closing schools and 6 feet mandates as businesses close and kids (who are at 10x greater risk from flu) lives are forever destroyed bc of our inability to think?

The issue isn't masks (they aren't working bc the CDC even gives you the clue why right there on their home page but no one cares to ask) it's about a proper response.  Kids should be playing sports and in school.  Period.  You want to put a 12 to 5am curfew in (the virus only works nights apparently) then find do that in your big city and kill it.  We warned you in March when 15 days turned to 30.  

Do you only think in terms of death?  What about overloading the hospital system?  What about longer term consequences of getting the disease.  Many people have complications that last months.  We don't know if some of the heart issues will be really long term.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Do you only think in terms of death?  What about overloading the hospital system? 

Yes.  Let the locality decide what to do but must show us the data.  ICU capacity, etc.

What about longer term consequences of getting the disease.  Many people have complications that last months.  We don't know if some of the heart issues will be really long term.

Yea don't really care.  Going to be years before you figure that out.  We do however know what the long term impact will be on our youth failing on average 2 courses or more.  Especially those not privileged enough to have parents let alone parents that can telework. 

Thats one of those goal posts that got moved around May when kids should have been in school.  

Edited by Big Blitz

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

Americans are dying at a 3000+ clip every day.  Daily Covid-19 deaths

2971 Americans died on 9/11/2001.   2403 Americans died on December 7, 1941.

On average, over 7,000 Americans die EVERY SINGLE DAY! Comparing Covid to Pearl Harbor is ludicrous. Our current health crisis is not a single event in a single town or place. Sheeesh

In my county. A 24 age passed away from covid RIP. Youngest by far in our county for deaths. 

24-year-old dies from COVID-19

The health department says the 24-year-old man experienced a "cardiac event and was unable to overcome his illness despite aggressive medical treatment."

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

Americans are dying at a 3000+ clip every day.  Daily Covid-19 deaths

2971 Americans died on 9/11/2001.   2403 Americans died on December 7, 1941.

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

On average, over 7,000 Americans die EVERY SINGLE DAY! Comparing Covid to Pearl Harbor is ludicrous. Our current health crisis is not a single event in a single town or place. Sheeesh

Just wait til he finds out 2.9M Americans died last year.  That's like...... 1000 9/11's!

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

A lockdown that only works if you never leave lockdown, doesn't work.

It works to reduce the level of virus to the point where widespread testing coupled with effective contact tracing and responsible quarantines on exposed individuals allows society to continue.  Unfortunately, we reduced the amount of virus somewhat and then just opened up without the latter mechanisms in place.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

It works to reduce the level of virus to the point where widespread testing coupled with effective contact tracing and responsible quarantines on exposed individuals allows society to continue.  Unfortunately, we reduced the amount of virus somewhat and then just opened up without the latter mechanisms in place.

We opened up? When? There’s been virtually ZERO changed in any significant public policy across California in nearly six months.