The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, GG said:

So much for that vaunted national strategy to combat the virus. 

I'm going to assume they told him his national lockdown was also unconstitutional.  

I mean the D Governors will oblige.  And then blame the R states for not and they're the reason why people are dying and "cases!" are spiking.  Without a care in the world for the incalculable damage they are causing society.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, B-Man said:

Seems about right...........

Gary Varvel Comic Strip for September 07, 2020

That is perfect. Sharing this widely this morning!

9 hours ago, GG said:

So much for that vaunted national strategy to combat the virus. 

So wait, a candidate admits he was wrong about some dumb “mandate,” and he’s not given credit for showing an ability to listen and change course? The horror of trying to set good examples. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectious-positive-pcr-test-result-covid-19/

During our Open Evidence Review of oral-fecal transmission of Covid-19, we noticed how few studies had attempted or reported culturing live SARS-CoV-2 virus from human samples.

This surprised us, as viral culture is regarded as a gold standard or reference test against which any diagnostic index test for viruses must be measured and calibrated, to understand the predictive properties of that test. In viral culture, viruses are injected in the laboratory cell lines to see if they cause cell damage and death, thus releasing a whole set of new viruses that can go on to infect other cells.

We, therefore, reviewed the evidence from studies reporting data on viral culture or isolation as well as reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), to understand more about how the PCR results reflect infectivity.

5 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

During our Open Evidence Review of oral-fecal transmission of Covid-19, we noticed how few studies had attempted or reported culturing live SARS-CoV-2 virus from human samples.

This surprised us, as viral culture is regarded as a gold standard or reference test against which any diagnostic index test for viruses must be measured and calibrated, to understand the predictive properties of that test. In viral culture, viruses are injected in the laboratory cell lines to see if they cause cell damage and death, thus releasing a whole set of new viruses that can go on to infect other cells.

We, therefore, reviewed the evidence from studies reporting data on viral culture or isolation as well as reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), to understand more about how the PCR results reflect infectivity.

The key take away is that the PCR test often does not detect  infectious virus.

This is especially true when having to multiply the genetic sample 45 times to create 35 TRILLION copies just to trigger a positive result

• Thank you (+1) 1

....LMAO...how shocking....as soon as GOP Gov Kristi gave the green light, I NEVER anticipated such researchers' (COUGH) objective findings......now if it was renamed the "Sturgis BLM Peace Rally", over/under on cases is six..............

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally linked to 20% of US coronavirus cases in August: researchers

More than 460,000 people attended the 10-day rally

By Evie Fordham | Fox News

Nineteen percent of the 1.4 million new coronavirus cases in the U.S. between Aug. 2 and Sept. 2 can be traced back to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally held in South Dakota, according to researchers from San Diego State University's Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies.

That's more than 266,000 coronavirus cases attributed to the 10-day event, which more than 460,000 people attended despite fears it could become a so-called super-spreader event.

"We conclude that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally generated public health costs of approximately $12.2 billion," the researchers wrote in a paper. "This is enough to have paid each of the estimated 462,182 rally attendees $26,553.64 not to attend."

The event took place from Aug. 7 to Aug. 16 in the town of Sturgis, which has a population of roughly 7,000 people.

The researchers said the rally increased coronavirus cases by approximately six to seven per 1,000 population in Meade County, home to Sturgis.

"These results suggest that in contrast to prior large gatherings that have been studied (i.e., Tulsa and BLM protests), in the case of Sturgis, the local resident population appeared to participate in the events," the researchers wrote. "This raises the possibility that the local population may be at risk for COVID-19 spread, especially if mitigating strategies (i.e., mask-wearing, interacting closely with only household members, avoiding crowds) were not undertaken."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-coronavirus-cases-south-dakota

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

More fun with testing

The Coronabros will swear up and down that the PCR test is highly sensitive and accurate.

The process may be foolproof- but GIGO still applies "garbage in garbage out"

https://vaccineimpact.com/2020/censored-covid19-pcr-tests-are-scientifically-meaningless-everything-weve-been-told-about-covid-is-a-hoax/

summary from the article

We need to know where the RNA for which the PCR tests are calibrated comes from.

Particle purification — i.e. the separation of an object from everything else that is not that object,  is an essential pre-requisite for proving the existence of a virus, and thus to prove that the RNA from the particle in question comes from a new virus. (and not from existing common cold coronavirus already in the body)

The reason for this is that PCR is extremely sensitive, which means it can detect even the smallest pieces of DNA or RNA — but it cannot determine where these particles came from. (like from common cold generic material) That has to be determined beforehand.

Because the PCR tests are calibrated for gene sequences (in this case RNA sequences because SARS-CoV-2 is believed to be a RNA virus), we have to know that these gene snippets are part of the looked-for virus. And to know that, correct isolation and purification of the presumed virus has to be executed.

The article interviewed several science teams that conducted studies supporting the PCR tests for Covid. The science teams admitted that the electron-microscopic shots depicted in their in vitro experiments did NOT show purified viruses. In addition, nobody said purification was not a necessary step.

Thus, the genetic material being searched for in the ultra-sensitive, super- accurate PCR test has NEVER BEEN ISOLATED TO BE FROM THE COVID VIRUS. Garbage in, garbage out.

More likely, after multiplying the sample 35 TRILLION times,  the test is picking up genetic material of the common cold in everyone’s body- which is why most testing positive are not sick.    

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....LMAO...how shocking....as soon as GOP Gov Kristi gave the green light, I NEVER anticipated such researchers' (COUGH) objective findings......now if it was renamed the "Sturgis BLM Peace Rally", over/under on cases is six..............

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally linked to 20% of US coronavirus cases in August: researchers

Nineteen percent of the 1.4 million new coronavirus cases in the U.S. between Aug. 2 and Sept. 2 can be traced back to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally held in South Dakota, according to researchers from San Diego State University's Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies.

That's more than 266,000 coronavirus cases attributed to the 10-day event, which more than 460,000 people attended despite fears it could become a so-called super-spreader event.

"We conclude that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally generated public health costs of approximately $12.2 billion," the researchers wrote in a paper. "This is enough to have paid each of the estimated 462,182 rally attendees $26,553.64 not to attend."

The event took place from Aug. 7 to Aug. 16 in the town of Sturgis, which has a population of roughly 7,000 people.

The researchers said the rally increased coronavirus cases by approximately six to seven per 1,000 population in Meade County, home to Sturgis.

"These results suggest that in contrast to prior large gatherings that have been studied (i.e., Tulsa and BLM protests), in the case of Sturgis, the local resident population appeared to participate in the events," the researchers wrote. "This raises the possibility that the local population may be at risk for COVID-19 spread, especially if mitigating strategies (i.e., mask-wearing, interacting closely with only household members, avoiding crowds) were not undertaken."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-coronavirus-cases-south-dakota

Calling BS on this one.  3 months of protests cause ZERO spread of the virus per our political class and these researchers (per the article) but the Sturgis Rally infected ~1/4 of a million people?

All because ~150 people from near Sturgis tested positive for it?  

Something doesn't add up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Calling BS on this one.  3 months of protests cause ZERO spread of the virus per our political class and these researchers (per the article) but the Sturgis Rally infected ~1/4 of a million people?

Ask them to do the protests now... 

52 minutes ago, spartacus said:

More fun with testing

The Coronabros will swear up and down that the PCR test is highly sensitive and accurate.

https://vaccineimpact.com/2020/censored-covid19-pcr-tests-are-scientifically-meaningless-everything-weve-been-told-about-covid-is-a-hoax/

summary from the article

We need to know where the RNA for which the PCR tests are calibrated comes from.

Particle purification — i.e. the separation of an object from everything else that is not that object,  is an essential pre-requisite for proving the existence of a virus, and thus to prove that the RNA from the particle in question comes from a new virus. (and not from existing common cold coronavirus already in the body)

The reason for this is that PCR is extremely sensitive, which means it can detect even the smallest pieces of DNA or RNA — but it cannot determine where these particles came from. (like from common cold generic material) That has to be determined beforehand.

Because the PCR tests are calibrated for gene sequences (in this case RNA sequences because SARS-CoV-2 is believed to be a RNA virus), we have to know that these gene snippets are part of the looked-for virus. And to know that, correct isolation and purification of the presumed virus has to be executed.

The article interviewed several science teams that conducted studies supporting the PCR tests for Covid. The science teams admitted that the electron-microscopic shots depicted in their in vitro experiments did NOT show purified viruses. In addition, nobody said purification was not a necessary step.

Thus, the genetic material being searched for in the ultra-sensitive, super- accurate PCR test has NEVER BEEN ISOLATED TO BE FROM THE COVID VIRUS. Garbage in, garbage out.

More likely, after multiplying the sample 35 TRILLION times,  the test is picking up genetic material of the common cold in everyone’s body- which is why most testing positive are not sick.    

Please not this stuff again.

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Ask them to do the protests now... 

Would fully expect them to come to that same conclusion.  The protests were "mostly peaceful" after all AND the protesters had very 'little interactions with the locals.'  The locals' property on the other hand ...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

More fun with testing

summary from the article

I'm usually not one to crap on the source but c'mon dude. 

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Nice work, Trumpers.

6 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

His latest executive order is pretty funny.

WHEREAS, the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) arrived in New York predominantly from Europe, with over 2.2 million travelers coming in between the end of January and March 16, 2020, when the federal government finally implemented a full European travel ban;

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20260-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I know I know Fake Covid "tracking project."  The New York Virus takes off on Holidays.  Wait till Thursday!

Fyi we're approaching the supposed national I'm sure the goal post moved on that one to % positive number where we should be full open.  

Why “fake”? They do great aggregation work. 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

So now the Rona is retroactive and has no incubation period.... Carry on..... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I heard Cuomo is also considering a ban on boats and motorcycles. Can never be too safe when it comes to covaids.

And i'm sure it's all Trump's fault because he called it the China Kung Flu virus.... 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shoshin said:

Why “fake”? They do great aggregation work. 

The editorializing when it fits the Atlantic's narrative.  The use of "new record!" at times as if this thing has been around as long as Major League Baseball.  

Yes, they do a good job updating the numbers (although that guy that provides 7 day rolling averages updates and by region and he's now doing hospitalizations is better).  And while I obviously follow them like everyone else, I also think the daily counting the 24/7 death reports has been one of the most detrimental endeavors of all time.  Especially since the numbers are useless when goal posts keep moving and they've essentially told us there is no going back to normal and we need to live in harmony with nature.

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Most everything his posts is met by crickets.  Gee...I wonder why?  

Yup, cause if anyone thinks that Pelosi is going to allow a vote on anything that might make Trump look good is doing some really good hallucinogenic, illegal drugs.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Usually things that ignore math do not add up.

There are serious gaps in logic and statistics to arrive at their conclusion.   If Sturgis was a super spreader event, the numbers would be clearly evident in the daily case numbers.   Let's ignore the fundamental error of the dates used in the sample, which pick up higher daily Wuhan counts in the first week of August, before anyone associated with Sturgis got infected, but more importantly started the super spread.

No, no, the main problem is extrapolating 266k cases nationwide from the event, which defies basic trend analysis.   At the start of the rally, US was reporting about 63k 7-day moving average, which was about a week past the national peak of 68k.   You can make an argument that Sturgis lead to the slowdown of the accelerated decline that was evident in early August, as in the 2nd week of August 7-day avg case counts plateaued at about 55k, when they were dropping by about 1.5k per day in the first week of August.  But, in the following week, the cases resumed their previous downward trajectory.    If Sturgis was truly responsible for 266k additional deaths, the trendline would have looked completely different, and you would have seen an increase in the 7-day moving average.  Instead, the cases continued to drop at the previous pace from mid-august to the end and then plateaued (but was still on a downward trend).

Sturgis can be the cause of SOME increased cases, but that number is nowhere near 266k, and more importantly, there wasn't a commensurate increase in hospitalizations and deaths.

But great headline, though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, shoshin said:

So wait, a candidate admits he was wrong about some dumb “mandate,” and he’s not given credit for showing an ability to listen and change course? The horror of trying to set good examples. 

You have a knack of completely missing the main point.  The illegal part wasn't a specific dumb mandate, but any mandate from the federal government absent some kind of an emergency powers provision.

You can make an argument that trump & admin didn't set up better procedures for the states to acquire the needed equipment early on, but his quip to the states that "you are on your own" was following US laws.  It surely sounds cold-hearted  and insensitive, but that's how the US laws are set up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1