The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, jrober38 said:

I can't.

One side says stay home for another 4-8 weeks and numerous lives will be saved.

The other wants to put lives in danger because they're bored.

Once people are dead they're dead. This is literally life and death for a lot of people, like yourself. 

"MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE ABOUT TO DIE!"

* Jrobber -- just a few weeks ago... 

2 minutes ago, Gary M said:

But was in necessary to fill in skate parks, ban the sale of garden seeds, arrest a surfer and chase a jogger?

That is what the protests are about, the authoritarianism is out of control.

Yes, I buy that, absolutely. There should be some oversight of what a Governor can get away with during a State of Emergency. People can protest overtly, or the politician can pay the price on Election Day. Either way, citizens must be able to express their voice, and so I won’t be criticizing them. 

And with that being said, I’m typing this from my dining room table instead of from my office. I see that there are places that need to go through this pain right now.  The mayor of the city in which I work is talking about remaining shut down into July.  I’ve got a rainy day fund, but I may be down to cat food tins by the time this is over, and I won’t be getting those rainy day funds back.  People without those funds can’t go into July without starving.  

I wont blast anyone on either side of this (Governors or protestors).

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, jrober38 said:

I can't.

Once people are dead they're dead. This is literally life and death for a lot of people, like yourself. 

I stay away from people, but I guess the point is here that I can't do it forever.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Again, we've been told to do this for 6 weeks now.

People are still dying. Nursing homes still being decimated by the virus all over the country. 

These are great ideas if every single person practices them, which will absolutely never happen. 

Do you understand the difference between cause and effect, and leading and lagging indicators?

Are you actually proposing imposing the same standard of behavior across the entire country because some nursing homes have awful sanitary conditions? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I can't.

Because they are bored? Talk about lacking empathy for those suffering financial hardship during this time.

You know who else is bored? Those many thousands of people waiting in miles long lines to get food from charity pantries, so that they can put food on their families table.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hedge said:

Because they are bored? Talk about lacking empathy for those suffering financial hardship during this time.

You know who else is bored? Those many thousands of people waiting in miles long lines to get food from charity pantries, so that they can put food on their families table.

It's a blue ribbon level post for stupidity. 

@jrober38 has been wrong about every single panic induced post he's ever made down here. On every topic. 

Because fear makes you dumb.

• Like (+1) 4

I recently returned to PPP after about a 12 month hiatus. 

I was still frequenting TBD on the football side and I saw this guy JRober's football posts and thought to myself "Man, this guy has some of the worst football takes"

I see that he is universally consistent on all topics with his takes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think you are gonna see more than a few suicides today.  The oil market has tanked (no pun intended).  People will not be able to cover losses, bankruptcies will happen... And, when all is said and done, the little guy is going to be out of business as the giant oil corporations end up with a near monopoly.  And think of all those jobs those small oil companies generate.

That is going to be the long term result of this lock down. Some would say that is an unnecessary loss of life due to lack of jobs that pay the bills, feed people, keep roofs over people's heads.

Capitalism works until it doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Hedge said:

The US has been one of the hardest hit countries in the world because their social programs are so horrible compared to the rest of the developed world. 

This is what you get when you have a government that's more interested in corporate bailouts and corporate tax rate cuts than they are about protecting their citizens. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

The US has been one of the hardest hit countries in the world because their social programs are so horrible compared to the rest of the developed world. 

:lol: :lol: 

Serious question... is there ANYTHING you are actually informed about? Any single topic? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, jrober38 said:

If the social programs are so horrible..................

then why does the rest of the world want to come here?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

If the social programs are so horrible..................

then why does the rest of the world want to come here?

I think "the rest of the world" is hyperbole.

Maybe people living in squalor in Central America, but certainly not the whole world. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is what you get when you have a government that's more interested in corporate bailouts and corporate tax rate cuts than they are about protecting their citizens. 

Holy lack of reasoning, Batman!  Not sure how you got that conclusion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

The economy collapses, people lose their houses, struggle to put food on the table, etc. 

... Kind of like what happens when you lock down the country out of fear for weeks on end? 

:lol: The fact you can't even see your own hypocrisy should be staggering, but it's not. It's perfectly on brand for you.

Just now, Doc said:

Holy lack of reasoning, Batman!  Not sure how you got that conclusion. 

Because he's completely irrational and driven by fear. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The press has a lotta China money. Congress has a lot of China money. Trump ordered an investigation and calls it the virus that came from China, says how the Chinese were not forthcoming, and how China must pay a price (especially if they knowingly unleashed this). Watch the pressers. It is Trump again the "msm."

The idea that China may not have knowingly unleashed the virus on the rest of the world is downright ludicrous. At the same time that China shut down all flights within China they were allowing people to fly from China to all other countries. There are no excuses for this. China deliberately allowed this virus to spread worldwide and kill 100,000's and send the world into a depression. 

***** China and the dragon they rode in on. 

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, jrober38 said:

I think "the rest of the world" is hyperbole.

Maybe people living in squalor in Central America, but certainly not the whole world. 

No, people in those countries who don’t have a defense budget but like the US to protect them are happy where they live — and like to throw shade on capitalism and the freedoms that the US permits it’s citizens to enjoy. When people in the US hear opinions like yours coming from people living in those countries, we mostly chalk it up to bitterness and lack of information.

Perhaps you should go to one of those countries. You sound bitter and underinformed. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE ABOUT TO DIE!"

* Jrobber -- just a few weeks ago... 

Lots of people have been wrong about lots of things with respect to this virus. I thought it was no big deal until about the night the NBA shut down. Even after that night, I would have guessed we were going to see 60 thousand dead maximum in this initial wave, which now will be low. And I thought schools would reopen 4-5 weeks after they closed. I am sure we can go back through this thread and find lots of people down-playing the impact of this even after that night. Beating the dead horse of people who have been wrong in this thread (remember the mini movement that masks were going to generate lots of armed robberies?!?!) would be a full time job. If there's something very clear about this pandemic, it's that none of us have predicted what will happen next, especially any forecast of deaths. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

The idea that China may not have knowingly unleashed the virus on the rest of the world is downright ludicrous. At the same time that China shut down all flights within China they were allowing people to fly from China to all other countries. There are no excuses for this. China deliberately allowed this virus to spread worldwide and kill 100,000's and send the world into a depression. 

No disagreement from me. What he said (diplomatically or not) and what he does,  will be the tell.

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The economy collapses, people lose their houses, struggle to put food on the table, etc. 

What’s happening worldwide has nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with STOPPING capitalism from continuing. 

It is an intentional recession.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, shoshin said:

Lots of people have been wrong about lots of things with respect to this virus. I thought it was no big deal until about the night the NBA shut down. Even after that night, I would have guessed we were going to see 60 thousand dead maximum in this initial wave, which now will be low. And I thought schools would reopen 4-5 weeks after they closed. I am sure we can go back through this thread and find lots of people down-playing the impact of this even after that night. Beating the dead horse of people who have been wrong in this thread (remember the mini movement that masks were going to generate lots of armed robberies?!?!) would be a full time job. If there's something very clear about this pandemic, it's that none of us have predicted what will happen next, especially any forecast of deaths. 

The point, with @jrober38 specifically, is that he's always wrong. 

He got this wrong. 

He got Trump/Russia wrong.

He got Trump/Ukraine wrong. 

He's driven purely by fear and a toxic swill of disinformation funneled into what's left of his brain by a corrupt media complex. 

He's had multiple opportunities to learn from his mistakes, but rather than doing so, he continually doubles down on them. Removing any doubt that he's a serious person, with any sense of reality or what's actually happening in the world on any given day. Highlighting his hysteria is a public service to those who might be feeling similar to him. It's intent is to show them how fear makes you stupid. And stupid people do stupid things.

Which, in a pandemic, is how you end up dead. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I can't.

If you think people want to go back to work because they are bored you have no business even being a part of this discussion. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is some serious deranged stuff.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

No, people in those countries who don’t have a defense budget but like the US to protect them are happy where they live — and like to throw shade on capitalism and the freedoms that the US permits it’s citizens to enjoy. When people in the US hear opinions like yours coming from people living in those countries, we mostly chalk it up to bitterness and lack of information.

Perhaps you should go to one of those countries. You sound bitter and underinformed. 

@jrober38 do I recall correctly that you are Canadian?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I early on said the mortality rates would be in between .25 to .5% when everywhere i was reading was saying between 2-4%. - Evidence is beginning to suggest this is the case.   

I also said early on that when the media and lots of other people said that Florida and the rest of the other non stay-at-home states was going to get hit really bad because they didn't do the stay-at-home orders was not going to end up being the case. Evidence is suggesting this to be the case.

I also said that the ventilator shortages that the media and some of the governors would never come about. Evidence has proven this to be the case.

I'm also going to say that the supposed testing issues is a red herring and is being promoted by governors who are deathly afraid to make the decision to gradually open up their economies and are going on the record as this being an issue so that if there does end up being any outbreaks, it will be used against the Federal Government.

Testing is just a component of a broader mosaic to help mitigate future outbreaks.  It's nowhere near the end-all-be-all that the governors/partisans politicians and media are making it out to be, as Dr. Fauci has said on a number of times.

We'll see whether or not this last one ends up being the case.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4