The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, TPS said:

I don't know about my "wild dispersions"... ?

And, I'm not sure what there is to prove by suggesting people could go back and read posts from a month ago to see who was taking it seriously and who wasn't?  All that says is people can read and figure out on their own.  I wonder why you are taking that personally....?

Nice. Very cute of you to cast those dispersions without completely committing to accusing any specific people. If you are going to claim something why don't you provide a quote? Your posting lately has become very similar to Tiberius's posting. While he will outright lie and then refuse to back it up in any way you will insinuate, thinking that no one will require you to prove it. 

1 minute ago, GG said:

Have you seen the probability distribution of that 2-14 day symptomatic period?  If you have, you wouldn't be throwing out that figure to back whatever point you are making.  Hint, it's most certainly not a normal bell curve.  That's why for the vast, vast majority of cases, symptoms appear within 48-72 hours.   If people had known that and were told in early March to stay the ***** home if they were feeling even a hint of a sniffle, then US would be nowhere near the current situation.  Zero testing, 100% common sense advice.

Social distancing is also a great tool, but it's secondary to testing as just about everyone has a need to at least go to the grocery store, many people have to go to the pharmacy and unfortunately some people have to go to work.

10 minutes ago, GG said:

See the answer above - how often do you test the asymptomatic people?  

Testing helps with statistics.  It does little to stop the actual spread.  You don't need to go to a doctor to know you have the flu.  Most people still go to work when they get the flu.  This is the case that when you think you have the flu, stay away from everyone else.   This is actually what SK and Taiwan do very well, and the US doesn't 

In a way respectfully disagree. Respect you GG. Going to move on different things' part of this thread. But not discrediting you're info and knowledge. Don't want to arguments with you bring this topic down among many things. When has lots of solid info. Respect you man.

But  agree SK Taiwan agree doing a good job.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Social distancing is also a great tool, but it's secondary to testing as just about everyone has a need to at least go to the grocery store, many people have to go to the pharmacy and unfortunately some people have to go to work.

That is a non-sensical statement.  Are you saying that if you are symptomatic, you should go about your business unless you get tested?

Here's what's actually happening.  People in the NY tristate area are far more acutely aware of the symptoms.  People who show symptoms see a doctor, get tested and await the results.  In the interim, they all know to stay sequestered at home.   They did NOT do that up to 3 weeks ago. 

Now, tell me which part is the least helpful in slowing the spread of the disease in that scenario?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

That is a non-sensical statement.  Are you saying that if you are symptomatic, you should go about your business unless you get tested?

Here's what's actually happening.  People in the NY tristate area are far more acutely aware of the symptoms.  People who show symptoms see a doctor, get tested and await the results.  In the interim, they all know to stay sequestered at home.   They did NOT do that up to 3 weeks ago. 

Now, tell me which part is the least helpful in slowing the spread of the disease in that scenario?

Clearly not. There's no hidden meaning in my statements. You can take them as literal without any fear of subtext.

20 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Look, I'm happy to go back to the beginning on this as long as you actually care about the answers.

The virus has an incubation period of 2-14 days before symptoms present. A new study from the Netherlands think that there may be 25% of people that remain completely asymptomatic. If you have an interaction with anyone, you could pass the virus without feeling sick. Say you're a grocery store employee who works curbside and selects people's groceries, bags them and places them into their cart - you could unknowingly pass the virus on the groceries. If you're given a test when you exhibit symptoms,( or best case even if you dont), then local health officials could alert the people you came into contact with that they could be affected. Here in Austin during the early days of this (a few weeks ago) Health officials did exactly this and notified the public where that person was on what days at what times.

It's at least part of the reason why we only have 200 cases as the 11th largest city in the country.

Edited by BullBuchanan

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well your statement flies in the face of the scientific consensus and the evidence of the countries that have contained the problem better than us. What backs up those claims?

I'll give you South Korea, which seems like a real outlier at this point in comparison from the data from every other country.

Which other countries, with any significant numbers of cases, have fewer cases per capita and fewer deaths per capita or per confirmed cases?

3 hours ago, TPS said:

Maybe if some of the cult would admit that He might have made an error here or there...anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Maybe if you, a member of the Shark Gang would first admit a consequential error, eh? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8177201/China-COVERING-extent-coronavirus-numbers-FAKE-spies-tell-White-House.html?ito=push-notification&ci=12068&si=4621469

China's reporting on coronavirus is intentionally incomplete, three U.S. officials revealed in a Wednesday report, adding its government is underreporting statistics on both the death toll and number of cases.

The intelligence community handed over a classified report to the White House last week, one of the officials told Bloomberg News, and the report concluded that China's numbers are fake.

The coronavirus outbreak originated from Wuhan in the Hubei province of China at the end of 2019 – but China has only publicly reported 82,361 cases and 3,293 deaths as of Wednesday.

This would mean China is less impacted by coronavirus than the U.S., Italy and Spain.

So far, according to a Johns Hopkins University of Medicine world tracker of the virus' impact, there are more than 190,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. and more than 4,000 people have died.

The U.S. has the largest publicly reported outbreak of coronavirus in the world – skyrocketing this week starting over the weekend when deaths doubled from 1,000 to 2,000 in just one day.

'The reality is that we could have been better off if China had been more forthcoming,' Vice President Mike Pence said during an interview with CNN Wednesday afternoon, conceding that the nation has been more honest regarding coronavirus than other diseases over the years.

'I mean the reality is that China's been more transparent with regard to the coronavirus than certainly they were for other infectious diseases over the last 15 years,' Pence, who is heading the White House coronavirus task force, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. 'But what appears evident now is that long before the world learned in December that China was dealing with this, and maybe as much as a month earlier than that, that the outbreak was real in China.'

Ambassador Deborah Birx, the State Department immunologist advising the White House on its response to the outbreak as part of the task force, said that China's public reporting influenced how other countries responded to the outbreak.

'The medical community made -- interpreted the Chinese data as: This was serious, but smaller than anyone expected,' she said at the daily coronavirus press briefing Tuesday evening. 'Because I think probably we were missing a significant amount of the data, now that what we see happened to Italy and see what happened to Spain.'

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

COVID CONUNDRUM 

My best buddy is a sales guy.

He can certainly work from home but his boss is insisting that he come to the office everyday. His boss doesn’t believe in the seriousness of the virus, etc. 

My buddy is not sure what to do. 
I told him to just take a month off unpaid - he can do so as he’s not financially in a dire position - but not sure that’s the right advice. Any thoughts??

Yes, change careers. If he can't sell his boss on the policies that are being pushed by the various governments, then he really isn't much of a salesman. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Just like a Democratic Governor: Cant stand on his (or her, as the case may be in MI) own two feet and always begging for someone to help....

In a crisis like this. Regardless of politics. It's good to help people who need it. Going off topic Like in life, helping the older people or those need help in general. I don't bring in the politics card.  Just it is good to help people when people need it man.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

In a crisis like this. Regardless of politics. It's good to help people who need it. Going off topic Like in life, helping the older people or those need help in general. I don't bring in the politics card.  Just it is good to help people when people need it man.

Of course it is and, in spite of the extremes of political views, I am sure everyone is hoping for the best and willing to help where they can.

Well, maybe not Q-baby...:D

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

This thread has become a virus in itself.

And it was the lefties and/or Trump haters who came in here and infected it.

I get that you folks hate Trump and want to blame him on everything to no end, but, I have a simple question to the people who are blaming Trump over this..............

What are you doing to help your fellow citizens over this while saying Trump is doing nothing?

LMAO what a self sanctimonious bullcrap post this is. You and the rest of the "respected posters" would prefer an echo chamber of self serving Trump justifying drivel.  Normally that is the case (with a very few exceptions) in the PPP. For all you members of "respected posters squad"   LMAO It is so convenient now to deny yours and Don the Cons previous  "enlightened" views that have turned out to be WRONG.  What am I doing to help citizens? Staying home, working from home and reading the predominately Trump circle jerk that is the PPP when I need a good laugh.  The next time one of you trumpeteers admits he or you were wrong about ANYTHING would be an absolute first. 

Edited by ~Kostabi~
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'll give you South Korea, which seems like a real outlier at this point in comparison from the data from every other country.

Which other countries, with any significant numbers of cases, have fewer cases per capita and fewer deaths per capita or per confirmed cases?

The UAE is doing well so far. Right now 0.06% of our population is infected compared to 0.006% of theirs They are also one of the world leaders in testing. The bad thing is that the spread in Europe has been slowing while ours has been increasing. We're about to fall way behind countries we have a slight edge on today.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

Infographic: Coronavirus: Upward Trajectory or Flattened Curve? | Statista