The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

In 2017, the Flu took an estimated 80,000 lives in the US. 
In Canada it killed 300. 

I believe that’s a 22X rate higher in the US (per 100,000 people). 

is that a reporting issue?

is it because the US is more densely populated?

granted 2017 was a very bad year but...

even this year if we have 25,000 deaths in US compared to 300 expected in Canada, it’s still way out of whack. 

Anyone have the answer?

(smartass in me says it’s poutine)

Edited by Bakin

13 minutes ago, Bakin said:

In Canada it killed 300. 

even this year if we have 25,000 deaths in US compared to 300 expected in Canada, it’s still way out of whack. 

Anyone have the answer?

Poutine, or this:

milk.jpg

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

In Canada it killed 300. 

Anyone have the answer?

What about the older people, those with poor immune or disabilities and other stuff. (highest death rate with this virus). They have no say in this? Jesus Christ people don't care about them. Only about politics. It's soo damn sick.

14 hours ago, bbb said:

From the CDC website:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Can somebody tell me why I don't remember widespread panic, the markets crashing, events being cancelled left and right - and Obama being blamed?  

It's due to the way the rest of the world is reacting to this virus.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, bbb said:

From the CDC website:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Can somebody tell me why I don't remember widespread panic, the markets crashing, events being cancelled left and right - and Obama being blamed?  

The Markets had just crashed the year before and never got back to the level at the time of the H1N1... Hard to crash when the market was already bottomed out. 

Twitter was not as main stream as it is now, Twitter did not explode until around 2012.

People did blame Obama just like when anything happens the president always gets blamed no matter who is in office.

They learned from t he mistakes they made from the last pandemic and now you see the steps they are trying to take to not make it another one.

You're welcome.

Edited by Hardhatharry

19 hours ago, Foxx said:

"soar"

Cuomo declares state of emergency in New York as state coronavirus cases soar to 76

Gov. Cuomo declared a state of emergency Saturday to deal with the worsening coronavirus crisis, as the number of cases jumped to 11 in the Big Apple — including a Queens taxi driver — and 76 across New York.

Saturday’s numbers more than doubled the cases in the city, which stood at five on Friday, the governor said at a noon press conference. There were 21 new cases outside the city, from 44 the day before, he said.

“We are testing aggressively, said Cuomo. “The more positives you find, the better.” ...

my libido soars every time he gives a press conference (so, every ten hours)

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bakin said:

In Canada it killed 300. 

Anyone have the answer?

The data I see shows canada had a death rate of 20.2 per 100k in 2017. Similar to US death rate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/434445/death-rate-for-influenza-and-pneumonia-in-canada/

INFECTION: 

At least 28 coronavirus cases in New York are linked to one man — a 50-year-old attorney who works near Grand Central Terminal. Here’s what we know.

DO TELL: Travel restrictions may have slowed COVID-19 outbreak.

RESPONDING TO EPIDEMICS REQUIRES FLEXIBILITY. REGULATION TAKES AWAY FLEXIBILITY. 

A Self-Inflicted Crisis: Overregulation has played a dangerous role in America’s coronavirus outbreak.

It’s troubling that community spread in Washington State and other parts of the U.S.—possibly affecting hundreds to thousands of individuals—wasn’t detected sooner. 

Overregulation of diagnostic testing has played a major role in this delay.

For weeks, the CDC operated the nation’s sole diagnostic laboratory for coronavirus, while testing in the rest of the world proceeded apace. Test protocols using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) were publicly available shortly after Chinese researchers published (or described) the sequence of the virus in mid-January. The World Health Organization (WHO) used a freely available German procedure to create a test kit, shipping 250,000 tests to 159 laboratories worldwide. Since early February, the WHO has facilitated specimen transfer to referral laboratories.

In China, labs have tested thousands of patients each day. By February 23, the Chinese government had approved ten test kits, and production capacity reached 1.65 million tests per week. Meantime, South Korea has more than 500 testing sites and has screened over 100,000 people, reportedly testing 10,000 individuals per day and pioneering “drive-through” testing facilities. This enhanced testing capability is a key reason why the country has reported over 5,100 cases—the second-largest, outside China—including larger numbers of patients with mild illness, as reflected in a case fatality rate less than 1 percent. As of March 3, the U.K. had tested nearly 14,000 cases.

By contrast, the U.S. had performed a paltry 472 tests by March 2. Further, CDC testing criteria have precluded recognizing community spread because of requirements stipulating recent travel to China or exposure to an infected person. Adherence to these guidelines delayed testing in the first probable case of community transmission, in Northern California, by four days.

The CDC has not covered itself with glory here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

total%20cases%20US.jpg?itok=K025yOai

So NYC, Seattle, and Northern California have the most cases.  Kind of odd that cities that have the most direct contact with Chinese nationals have the most cases ?

Next thing you know, we'll start seeing cases in places like New Orleans and Norfolk (where shipping comes into the United States), and Hawaii and San Diego where the Pacific Fleet operates

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

Because DJT was not POTUS

.....NO political blame capital then versus now....how shocking.......

The 2017-2018 flu season was severe for all populations and resulted in an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths. This is the highest number of patient claims since the 2009 flu season.

Seasonal flu worldwide kills up to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000 deaths a year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

So NYC, Seattle, and Northern California have the most cases.  Kind of odd that cities that have the most direct contact with Chinese nationals have the most cases ?

Next thing you know, we'll start seeing cases in places like New Orleans and Norfolk (where shipping comes into the United States), and Hawaii and San Diego where the Pacific Fleet operates

one reason why i posted the BDI. shows that shipping out of China is ramping up. disclaimer, i don't know if the virus is actually subsiding in China. 

• Like (+1) 1