The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Interesting. Do you suppose they're calling all confirmed cases those that have been tested? ...

all confirmed cases, tested, yes. all tested, confirmed, no. 

Edited by Foxx

48 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is it really too much to ask these media idiots to not refer to an official tournament by its silly nickname (in all caps....as if that was the name of the tournament)?

3 hours ago, GG said:

Figures the pandemic would get you out of the fox hole.  What's up at CDC?

There's no way he could stay away from this much hysteria and idiocy!

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Three months I've been tracking this.  Since two weeks before this thread started.  Still haven't found a single number, reliable or otherwise, for the morbidity rate of nCOVID-19.  It's ridiculous.  The mortality rate varies only by how much testing a country does - more testing, less deaths.  That's a clear indication that no one has any ***** idea what's going on.

I hit Costo two weeks ago for non-perishables, figuring everyone was about to go nuts over this.  And a couple weeks ago, someone asked me if they should take their planned trip to Costa Rica last week.  I said "Sure, you'll be fine.  It'll be the week of the 13th that the ***** hits the fan."  I mention that only because my predictions have nailed all of this so far.  So I'll make this prediction: this will all start to unwind and get back to normal probably just after Easter.

Mostly, this is not nearly as big a crisis as people are acting.  It's a big problem for the elderly, infirm, and immunocompromised, which is no small thing - I'm self-quarantined since yesterday, because my sister-in-law who lives with us has COPD, and if I bring the Kung Flu home, I probably get a bad cold, but it will kill her.  But other than that, and supply chain disruption (i.e. groceries, gasoline)...in a year, we're likely to look back on this and snicker at the overreaction.

I will mark down your prediction but a flu that you don't that you have and are communicable for many days is very concerning as it could have a huge infection rate far greater than a normal flu and even if it is only 50% more deadly (and I have seen rates ranging for morbidity rates from 1-3% compared to .1% for the regular flu) than a normal flu could still easily result in millions of deaths and a huge taxing burden on healthcare systems. 

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

When all this is over, should China pay a price?

...um okay....they're blaming us for a worldwide smear campaign......wasn't Wuhan the epicenter and they tried to hide it??.........MADE IN CHINA has a new meaning...

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Because the Trump administration is really nailing this.

They're doing fine. 

What you're seeing is the faults of the state itself -- the very institution the left wishes to give more power and control to. This should serve as an excellent example of why that's a terrible idea.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They're doing fine. 

What you're seeing is the faults of the state itself -- the very institution the left wishes to give more power and control to. This should serve as an excellent example of why that's a terrible idea.

...politicizing it is their ONLY focus........look at the unrelated pork in the House coronavirus package........typical crap, which BOTH sides are perennially guilty of...........

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Because the Trump administration is really nailing this.

They nailed it when they shut down travel from China at the end of January.  Unfortunately they didn't shut down all travel and many cases came in from unexpected sources.

Just now, njbuff said:

Did the Trump administration create this virus? I guess I missed that.

No but they created a response to the virus that was dismissive and slow to act that could have potentially caused more damage than there needed to be. If you think the response of denial denial denial was great then you are just working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is great and everything negative is always someone elses fault or their was nothing he could do. 

58 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Interesting. Do you suppose they're calling all confirmed cases those that have been tested?

Also, nearly 65% of deaths have occurred in one area of china (presumably where Wuhan/Ground 0 is) is that simply due to the timeline? It seems disproportionate and with China there's always that question of available resources/what the government might be doing (not to mention the overall lack of trust in the statistics reported by the government)  

Also, for those in the know: The majority of cases seem to be well north of the equator... Is that due to countries in South America and Africa not having as much exposure to foreigners, or is there more to that?

I understand a lot of this stuff is unknown, just wondering what others have seen discussed!

Regarding China, with the amount of air pollution and the sheer volume of people who still smoke, overall, their lungs are not exactly in tip-top shape. This virus hits the lungs hard, so they are already facing an uphill battle from the start.

And regarding your observation about cases north of the equator being far greater, the seasons south of the equator are also opposite of ours, so the warmer weather is probably playing at least a part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

They nailed it when they shut down travel from China at the end of January.  Unfortunately they didn't shut down all travel and many cases came in from unexpected sources.

I think Trump crafting a narrative that this was fine and nothing to worry about (in an attempt to cover the stock market) is what created a lot of the bad response. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

No but they created a response to the virus that was dismissive and slow to act that could have potentially caused more damage than there needed to be. If you think the response of denial denial denial was great then you are just working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is great and everything negative is always someone elses fault or their was nothing he could do. 

Wrong.

They took decisive action in January -- and were mocked for doing so by the same people now freaking out. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Three months I've been tracking this.  Since two weeks before this thread started.  Still haven't found a single number, reliable or otherwise, for the morbidity rate of nCOVID-19.  It's ridiculous.  The mortality rate varies only by how much testing a country does - more testing, less deaths.  That's a clear indication that no one has any ***** idea what's going on.

I hit Costo two weeks ago for non-perishables, figuring everyone was about to go nuts over this.  And a couple weeks ago, someone asked me if they should take their planned trip to Costa Rica last week.  I said "Sure, you'll be fine.  It'll be the week of the 13th that the ***** hits the fan."  I mention that only because my predictions have nailed all of this so far.  So I'll make this prediction: this will all start to unwind and get back to normal probably just after Easter.

Mostly, this is not nearly as big a crisis as people are acting.  It's a big problem for the elderly, infirm, and immunocompromised, which is no small thing - I'm self-quarantined since yesterday, because my sister-in-law who lives with us has COPD, and if I bring the Kung Flu home, I probably get a bad cold, but it will kill her.  But other than that, and supply chain disruption (i.e. groceries, gasoline)...in a year, we're likely to look back on this and snicker at the overreaction.

Yup;  keeping a close watch on the TP inventory.

Our company has been work from home all week and will be at least another 3.  That's bad enough, but it's really gonna suck when they close the schools sometime in the next two weeks.   

:death:

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Wrong.

They took decisive action in January -- and were mocked for doing so by the same people now freaking out. 

The man was telling everyone this was nothing to worry about for many weeks, he has one third of this country in his cult of personality and they thought the virus was just a media smear of him. He was literally tweeting out this was not big deal not that long ago. Once again you can't gaslight a health crisis. He ***** this up. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Spare me the fake fvcking outrage.

Nothing would have stopped people in this country from getting the virus.

Didn't Trump ban travel from certain parts of China at the beginning of the year.

Again, put the blame where it belongs.............. CHINA.

And again, spare me with your, and the other leftist pinheads on here, with your fake fvcking outrage.

The man was telling everyone this was nothing to worry about for many weeks, he has one third of this country in his cult of personality and they thought the virus was just a media smear of him. He was literally tweeting out this was not big deal not that long ago. Once again you can't gaslight a health crisis. He ***** this up. 

Again. Wrong. He was trying to not cause a panic publicly while taking actions he was roundly mocked for taking. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

...I'm scheduled to take my kids and daughter-in-law on vacation to Aruba next Sunday....I've given them the option to cancel.....zero penalty with hotel and Delta made my tickets good until 2/28/2021.......6 reported case in the Caribbean but zero in Aruba....flying through JFK is the only caveat.....BUT, majority of NYC cases are in New Rochelle, Westchester County....

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It's the President's job not to create panic. 

Keep blaming Trump, I guess that's what leftist's are good for.

Did you blame Obama for the swine flu or is this just outrage for a Republican President?

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm scheduled to take my kids and daughter-in-law on vacation to Aruba next Sunday....I've given them the option to cancel.....zero penalty with hotel and Delta made my tickets good until 2/28/2021.......6 reported case in the Caribbean but zero in Aruba....flying through JFK is the only caveat.....BUT, majority of NYC cases are in New Rochelle, Westchester County....

Complete air travel might be shut down by then so you might not have to worry about it.

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

According to the left, the US is the one who should pay the price because we stopped going out for Chinese food.

What's the real disease right now. Coronavirus or leftism?

My God these people are pizzing me off.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Again. Wrong. He was trying to not cause a panic publicly while taking actions he was roundly mocked for taking. 

Again you can't gaslight his many denials and attempts to cover the stock market. Does this sound like someone who was really on top of it and taking it seriously?2466104_ScreenShot2020-03-12at2_32_01PM.thumb.png.731d5fe05fcbd84fb9cde797c4bd7fad.png

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Complete air travel might be shut down by then so you might not have to worry about it.

...we are going to play it by ear for now.............not many other choices.....and even if I ate the air fare down the road, so be it...........

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's the President's job not to create panic. 

Keep blaming Trump, I guess that's what leftist's are good for.

Did you blame Obama for the swine flu or is this just outrage for a Republican President?

250,000 + hospitalized

10,000 + dead

What did the media do then?

DOWNPLAYED IT

What's the difference between now and then? 

Again you can't gaslight his many denials and attempts to cover the stock market. Does this sound like someone who was really on top of it and taking it seriously?2466104_ScreenShot2020-03-12at2_32_01PM.thumb.png.731d5fe05fcbd84fb9cde797c4bd7fad.png

How is that NOT trying to tamp down panic? That sounds like he's taking it very seriously, enough to communicate with the American people not to panic (and this was several months after he took action on this matter. 

You're way off here because you're still plugged into the MSM. They're poison for your mind.

• Like (+1) 2

...THANK GOD!....what a relief..."Dr Joe In The Know"........we can assuredly leave for Aruba next week.............

Biden lays out coronavirus plan, takes aim at Trump for 'severe shortcomings'

By Paul Steinhauser | Fox News

Former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday unveiled a plan to combat and overcome the coronavirus.

Biden – the clear front-runner in the Democratic presidential nomination race over Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont – also criticized President Trump's efforts to date to curb the spread of the virus, or COVID-19, in the United States.

“Downplaying it, being overly dismissive, or spreading misinformation is only going to hurt us and further advantage the spread of the disease. But neither should we panic or fall back on xenophobia,” Biden said in a speech from his hometown of Wilmington, Del.

“Labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration,” Biden said as he took aim at the president for calling the pandemic a “foreign virus” in an Oval Office address Wednesday night that’s been criticized for a number of misstatements.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-lays-out-coronavirus-plan-takes-aim-at-trump-for-severe-shortcomings

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...THANK GOD!....what a relief..."Dr Joe In The Know"........we can assuredly leave for Aruba next week.............

Biden lays out coronavirus plan, takes aim at Trump for 'severe shortcomings'

By Paul Steinhauser | Fox News

Former Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday unveiled a plan to combat and overcome the coronavirus.

Biden – the clear front-runner in the Democratic presidential nomination race over Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont – also criticized President Trump's efforts to date to curb the spread of the virus, or COVID-19, in the United States.

“Downplaying it, being overly dismissive, or spreading misinformation is only going to hurt us and further advantage the spread of the disease. But neither should we panic or fall back on xenophobia,” Biden said in a speech from his hometown of Wilmington, Del.

“Labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration,” Biden said as he took aim at the president for calling the pandemic a “foreign virus” in an Oval Office address Wednesday night that’s been criticized for a number of misstatements.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-lays-out-coronavirus-plan-takes-aim-at-trump-for-severe-shortcomings

Biden's plan is what Trump is already doing. That's the funniest part. 

(Minus the whole "xenophobia" schtick which the left can't resist)

Once a plagiarizer, always a plagiarizer. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Perspective.

DqeO.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

People can't just come together and figure this thing out.

It must be an election year................ or Coronavirus is really a severe case of TDS.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we are going to play it by ear for now.............not many other choices.....and even if I ate the air fare down the road, so be it...........

Common sense would tell you that if they shut down air travel, you ain't eatin the money.

But what the fvck do I know.

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

250,000 + hospitalized

10,000 + dead

What did the media do then?

DOWNPLAYED IT

What's the difference between now and then? 

How is that NOT trying to tamp down panic? That sounds like he's taking it very seriously, enough to communicate with the American people not to panic (and this was several months after he took action on this matter. 

You're way off here because you're still plugged into the MSM. They're poison for your mind.

There is a major difference between trying to give people accurate information and being in a state of complete denial. Trump was literally lambasting the media as blowing up a non-issue just several days ago. But now you want me to believe that Trump is super serious about this? Get the ***** out of here. You say that everyone has Trump derangement syndrome or just listens to the mainstream media. I don't have cable, don't watch cable or mainstream news, and I mostly get my news from the AP. I follow Trump on Twitter he was downplaying this for weeks. You can suck off Trump all you want all the time but a straight reading of his Twitter feed by anyone would show you a man with both too much time on his hands and in a serious state of denial. 

Also the Swine Flu was not as easily transmitted because it had a much shorter incubation period. It's not the same, quit trying to defend everything the guy from the Apprentice does. 

Edited by billsfan89

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

SMH....wonder if he even knows who wrote HIS Plan???..........quarantine this relic on Kerry's swiftboat for safe keeping.......

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

People can't just come together and figure this thing out.

It must be an election year................ or Coronavirus is really a severe case of TDS.

Common sense would tell you that if they shut down air travel, you ain't eatin the money.

But what the fvck do I know.

...only caveat bud for me is having to use them by 2/28/2021.....our year end (I'm a CFO) is 12/31 and I have a ton of stuff to prepare for our accountants' year end audit during the third week in February.....we went last year on 3/03 which was a schedule crusher for me...so I pushed it out to 3/22 this year.............

There is a major difference between trying to give people accurate information and being in a state of complete denial. Trump was literally lambasting the media as blowing up a non-issue just several days ago. 

That's NOT what he was arguing re the media or the DNC. You're back to the "it's a hoax" hoax, which never happened. Trump is imprecise in his language, that's a MAJOR flaw. But if you listen to full context, his meaning is always clear. The soundbytes don't give that, because that's not the goal of a soundbyte. 

The goal since 2017 has been to get rid of Trump by any means necessary. Weaponizing story after story after story. They've done it with this story which anyone who is honest can see. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

But now you want me to believe that Trump is super serious about this? 

I don't want you to believe me, you can see the evidence for yourself. He acted in January, and has had a competent team leading it for weeks now. 

. You say that everyone has Trump derangement syndrome or just listens to the mainstream media. I don't have cable, don't watch cable or mainstream news, and I mostly get my news from the AP. 

:lol: 

If you don't think the AP is part of the issue, then you haven't been paying attention to anything the past four years. 

AP is as establishment as it gets.

I follow Trump on Twitter he was downplaying this for weeks. 

He's tamping down panic. 

What good is panic in this situation. 

It's all about perspective. You WANT to read Trump's tweets that way, because you're emotional not rational. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...only caveat bud for me is having to use them by 2/28/2021.....our year end (I'm a CFO) is 12/31 and I have a ton of stuff to prepare for our accountants' year end audit during the third week in February.....we went last year on 3/03 which was a schedule crusher for me...so I pushed it out to 3/22 this year.............

You'll be fine.