Senior Bowl week

Lurker

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

None of the OTs distinguished themselves in pass pro today.   It's just too tough to evaluate them in a game setting with only a week of practice...

Agree. The best OTs were not there though. The top 4 in this class are all juniors. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I saw liberty a few times and he had some drops and can be moved off his spot in press

Isn't a polished route runner and doesn't play special teams so I'm thinking high of round 3 but probably round 4-5

He isn't super athletic for NFL terms but is really good at contested catches and that brings a Red zone quality

Thank you for the intel.

Love his size, but it’s not enough to be big he has got to play big.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

K Tyler Bass could be an option, big leg accurate. Hauschka rebounded this year but he is getting old, wouldn't hurt getting his replacement.

I'd rather draft Hot Rod if we're going after a kicker.  I think the Bills won't waste draft capital on a kicker though and will sign a younger FA to compete with Hauschka in training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd rather draft Hot Rod if we're going after a kicker.  I think the Bills won't waste draft capital on a kicker though and will sign a younger FA to compete with Hauschka in training camp.

I agree with that in if they draft a kicker they have to be planning on keeping him.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Wide Receivers were unspectacular today, too bad Pittman didn't play. Quartney Davis looked good, but I wasn't floored by him.

Although it is true that today's QB play was inconsistent. Man I thought Patterson was bad but the QB from Colorado was atrocious.

The DB from Lenoir-Rhyne made a statement today.

The DE's or Edge players brought a lot of good pressure today.

That was not a touchdown for Gandy-Golden. He Robert Royal'd it.

Bills sent Dan Morgan to visit Lenoir-Rhyne earlier this season 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why am I not surprised.

Also, I thought the running game in today's Senior Bowl was very good. Sorry I don't remember their names, but the RB's from UCLA & Memphis did good today.

I also liked the RB from Florida too.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Why am I not surprised.

Also, I thought the running game in today's Senior Bowl was very good. Sorry I don't remember their names, but the RB's from UCLA & Memphis did good today.

I also liked the RB from Florida too.

Josh Kelley is the UCLA kid. I had him as a 3rd or 4th round guy but think with the spate of backs deciding to go back to college he might even be in play sooner than that. 

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of players the Bills met with during Senior Bowl week? So far I’ve found this.

Michigan EDGE Josh Uche

Utah EDGE Bradlee Anae

Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk

Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool

Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

Arizona State RB Eno Benjamin

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/nfl-draft-2020-who-have-the-buffalo-bills-met-with-at-senior-bowl.html%3foutputType=amp

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My biggest take away watching bits of this and all of the Shrine game last week is that this is not a deep defensive draft. Not sure how many guys you are going to find after round 3 who have any chance of making an impact. I think the Bills probably want to take a pass rusher somewhere in their first 3 picks but if I was them I'd be happy to go offense the rest of the way from round 4 on. 

This lines up with Beane's comments at the Senior Bowl, when he was comparing this draft to last year's.  They may try to use a 3rd to move up higher in Rd. 1 to grab the best edge (If they can't get one in FA), and then use the late round picks to get back into 3rd.  There's plenty of quality WRs in Rd. 2.  I think they have too many draft picks for the roster needs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kyle Dugger would be a perfect fit in McD's scheme.   

With our safeties getting older, he could come into a petfect mentoring situation like we've seen at so many other positions...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

Kyle Dugger would be a perfect fit in McD's scheme.   

With our safeties getting older, he could come into a petfect mentoring situation like we've seen at so many other positions...

I think to get him the Bills would have to be willing to spend their 2nd rounder on him or be willing to move up back into the 2nd or to the top of the 3rd. This is not a good DB class after the top 3 or 4 guys and so a guy like Dugger who can play but is a bit of a LB/S hybrid and went to a D-II school who might normally be available as late as early day 3 is going to get pushed up boards by at least a round. 

53 minutes ago, GG said:

This lines up with Beane's comments at the Senior Bowl, when he was comparing this draft to last year's.  They may try to use a 3rd to move up higher in Rd. 1 to grab the best edge (If they can't get one in FA), and then use the late round picks to get back into 3rd.  There's plenty of quality WRs in Rd. 2.  I think they have too many draft picks for the roster needs.

Rounds two and three are where playoff teams pull away from the also rans, IMO.  Good drafting here is what moves organizations forward.

I'd like to see Beane use some of his draft capital to move up or land extra picks in the second and third rounds, which wouldn't be as costly as moving up in round one--and could really plug a number of holes, rather than one big one.    There were 4-5 guys in the Senior Bowl who'll go right around there who would add a LOT to the Bills in 2020 (and beyond). 

I agree, it will also be tough for guys drafted after the 4th to make the team.   So I hope we see some wheeling and dealing of those day three picks...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Rounds two and three are where playoff teams pull away from the also rans, IMO.  Good drafting here is what moves organizations forward.

I'd like to see Beane use some of his draft capital to move up or land extra picks in the second and third rounds, which wouldn't be as costly as moving up in round one--and could really plug a number of holes, rather than one big one.    There were 4-5 guys in the Senior Bowl who'll go right around there who would add a LOT to the Bills in 2020 (and beyond). 

I agree, it will also be tough for guys drafted after the 4th to make the team.   So I hope we see some wheeling and dealing of those day three picks...

There might be some 4th round a later guys on offense who could have an impact - some high ceiling WRs that could be worth taking, guys who could fill the RB2 role, maybe a developmental tackle prospect. I just don't don't think there will be many on defense. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think to get him the Bills would have to be willing to spend their 2nd rounder on him or be willing to move up back into the 2nd or to the top of the 3rd. 

Yeah, he's not flying under the radar by any means:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article239622173.html

"Teams already knew he has potential. Dugger was visited in Hickory, N.C. this season by over 90 NFL scouts and at least one representative from all 32 teams..."

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I truly think a player to watch is Zack Baun. They call him Zack Sack, dude is 6’2” 240. I think an NFL club can easily get him closer to 250. Dude is quick off the ball, hard to block and is slippery. Wisconsin played him all over the field. Can drop back and stunt from a stand up edge rusher. 12.5 sacks senior year. Smart dude.

I get it, everyone wants a WR. This FO has made it clear they don’t believe in a true #1 WR is necessary in this league to be successful, they’ve said it. But also this defense is the heart and sole of the organization. Losing Lorax is a big deal. He was a more dynamic player then most give him credit for. The guy would line up over the OG and rush. The right LBs and a heavy DL rotation is what makes this defense work. Vosean Joseph is not Lorax replacement, won’t happen. Unless they just stop running most to all packages Lorax ran. OLB/Edge type players are not deep in this draft, especially ones who are good in pass coverage. 
Zack Baun is that guy. He’s gonna run a 4.6 40 yard dash, be one of the quicker edge type guys and he will move up the boards. He’s already being talked about as a 25-32 late round 1 guy.

Baun reminds me of a poor mans Vin Miller but better than Miller in the pass game.

Bills grab a legit WR at 54, maybe sneak up a couple spots (Ford) type move. Grab a CB in round 3.

People should really start watching, keeping their eye on Zack Baun...

10 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Baun reminds me of a poor mans Vin Miller but better than Miller in the pass game.

Bills grab a legit WR at 54, maybe sneak up a couple spots (Ford) type move. Grab a CB in round 3.

People should really start watching, keeping their eye on Zack Baun...

They need to replace Alexander and I think Baun's the kind of kid that could play that dual pass rush/coverage role.     His height and debate about his position could drive his draft spot down.   OTOH, it might be tough to throw him right into the fire like they did with Edmunds and Milano. 

With almost three months to go, we'll learn a lot more about where these kids stack up...  

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

They need to replace Alexander and I think Baun's the kind of kid that could play that dual pass rush/coverage role.     His height and debate about his position could drive his draft spot down.   OTOH, it might be tough to throw him right into the fire like they did with Edmunds and Milano. 

With almost three months to go, we'll learn a lot more about where these kids stack up...  

Like any rookie, he’s gonna have growing pains.

Lorax was listed at 6’1” 245. This kid is just as big as Lorax with easy potential to gain 5-10 lbs of muscle under a NFL team.

When it’s all said and done, because of his ability to put him in many schemes from all over the field and his ability to rush the passer, he may not make it to 22. This kid is an NFL player and fits the Bills perfectly. A position we need, rely upon and could also be BPA.

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Like any rookie, he’s gonna have growing pains.

Lorax was listed at 6’1” 245. This kid is just as big as Lorax with easy potential to gain 5-10 lbs of muscle under a NFL team.

When it’s all said and done, because of his ability to put him in many schemes from all over the field and his ability to rush the passer, he may not make it to 22. This kid is an NFL player and fits the Bills perfectly. A position we need, rely upon and could also be BPA.

I agree.   

And given McD's defensive bias, I can see them going there rather than at WR--which is what 90% of the fan base expects.

What do you think of Josh Uche?   He's another guy with the movement skills to play both roles in McD's scheme?

Edited by Lurker

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I agree.   

And given McD's defensive bias, I can see them going there rather than at WR--which is what 90% of the fan base expects.

What do you think of Josh Uche?   He's another guy with the movement skills to play both roles in McD's scheme?

Uche is a great Edge guy. He rarely drops in coverage if at all, that’s not his role. I see him being a 3-4 OLB that just always keeps the edge or rushes the passer. I watch Uche at the Senior Practices in person and felt he’s more of a speed rusher only but not the fastest. Nowhere near as slippery as Baun. Uche will be limited.

I’m really curious to see these 2 guys stacked next to each after the combine is done, numbers wise. Cause Baun is going round 1, guaranteed. Uche I feel is a round 3 guy with maybe a chance to get to round 2. He doesn’t offer anything but a speed rush. We will see.

I was excited to see Terrell Lewis from Alabama. After watching him in drills, seeing how stiff he is in movement. How long and lanky he is. I’d just take him off my board to never be enticed. He’s a bust, bet on it...

Edited by CEN-CAL17

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based solely on the 1 on 1's, I'd rank them like this:

Tier 1:

• Denzel Mims
  • Van Jefferson

Tier 2: 

• KJ Hill
  • Michael Pittman
  • Chase Claypool

Tier 3: 

• Antonio Gandy-Golden
  • Quartney Davis

Tier 4: 

• Jauaun Jennings
  • Devin Devurney
  • James Proche
  • Collin Johnson
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, CEN-CAL17 said:

Uche is a great Edge guy. He rarely drops in coverage if at all, that’s not his role. I see him being a 3-4 OLB that just always keeps the edge or rushes the passer. I watch Uche at the Senior Practices in person and felt he’s more of a speed rusher only but not the fastest. Nowhere near as slippery as Baun. Uche will be limited.

I’m really curious to see these 2 guys stacked next to each after the combine is done, numbers wise. Cause Baun is going round 1, guaranteed. Uche I feel is a round 3 guy with maybe a chance to get to round 2. He doesn’t offer anything but a speed rush. We will see.

I was excited to see Terrell Lewis from Alabama. After watching him in drills, seeing how stiff he is in movement. How long and lanky he is. I’d just take him off my board to never be enticed. He’s a bust, bet on it...

I just watched Uche vs Iowa, the vid showed every play he was on the field. He made zero plays in the game.  He tried to speed rush or bull rush every time, and was easily stopped by the OT, no secondary moves. He did help collapse the pocket once or twice but never even got near the QB. He ended up on the ground 5 times, and surprisingly dropped into coverage 5-6 times too. I haven't seen any of his other games, but was very unimpressed by the Iowa tape, he was invisible.

19 minutes ago, 947 said:

I just watched Uche vs Iowa, the vid showed every play he was on the field. He made zero plays in the game.  He tried to speed rush or bull rush every time, and was easily stopped by the OT, no secondary moves. He did help collapse the pocket once or twice but never even got near the QB. He ended up on the ground 5 times, and surprisingly dropped into coverage 5-6 times too. I haven't seen any of his other games, but was very unimpressed by the Iowa tape, he was invisible.

Uche only played 20 snaps vs Ohio state and he wasn’t injured. I think he only played on obvious passing situations or something? He played 6 snaps in the 2nd half 

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

After attending the Senior Bowl practices myself I walked away impressed by...

Quartney Davis, his route running was pretty solid, but he was physical and fought for the ball when he had too, you could tell this kid was scrappy, had an edge to him.  He looked to be solid in build, legs were thick and looked strong.  Soft hands and never had double catches.  Id compare him to Jarvis Landry.  I was impressed with this kid.  Then he had the best Senior Bowl game statistically and if you watched the game there were times he was wide open but the QB didn't have time.

I think this kid will be successful in the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes end of round 2 or early round 3 at latest.  Then you watch his highlight film and the kid makes plays, contested catches against top tier schools being A&M is in the SEC....  I'm putting Bryan Edwards, Quartney Davis, Michael Pittman in that late round 2 to early round 3 range.  Pick 50-75 range.

23 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Based solely on the 1 on 1's, I'd rank them like this:

Tier 1:

• Denzel Mims
  • Van Jefferson

Tier 2: 

• KJ Hill
  • Michael Pittman
  • Chase Claypool

Tier 3: 

• Antonio Gandy-Golden
  • Quartney Davis

Tier 4: 

• Jauaun Jennings
  • Devin Devurney
  • James Proche
  • Collin Johnson

Being at the Senior Bowl practices....  Ill tell you Quartney Davis was more impressive than all the Tier 2 guys you have listed.  Van Jefferson was solid, but doesn't have the strength Davis has, Davis has a strong lower body, thick. soft hands and is physical, quick off the ball, not a lot of wasted movement in and out of routes(like Pittman and Claypool) would fight for every pass and come away with the ball on bad throws, hes scrappy for sure.  Had the best Senior Bowl game statistically. 

To be honest I didn't see a single weakness with Quartney Davis, where so weaknesses were obvious in others...

Mims not really a physical guy, not the quickests, good hands, best WR there to highpoint the ball for sure, great at stacking DBs and shielding but at times got thrown off his route, play over.

Jefferson- skinny kid, quick for being 6'2". Route running was probably the best at the Senior Bowl.  But often his setups in and out of his breaks would slow him up, trip him up and stumble.  Hand were good, but not really physical.