Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
T master

Running Backs A Dime a Dozen & Is It a Passing League ?

Recommended Posts

What ever "expert" goes around saying that RB's are a dime a dozen & that the NFL is a passing league had their so called "Expert analysis" put to the test these games in these play offs ! 

 

They all say it & every year around this time  (we will probably see it in the SB the team) the team that wins has the better running game of the 2 teams playing & the old adage that defense wins championships still stands true ! Heck if you want to you can take it all the way back to our beloved Bills 4 SB games, the Bills had one of the most high powered offenses of that time if not the most high powered O in the league & good D & a running game derailed them .

 

Yesterday & leading up to the games we saw yesterday it was shown that a good running back with good field vision & good defense can dominate a game ! Jimmy G only threw 8 times in that game & i for one believe if the Titans would have stuck with their running game a bit more & not given up on it they too would have had a closer out come at the end of the game but when they got down they panicked like most do & completely abandoned their game plan that got them to where they were .

 

Cudo's to Shannahan for recognizing what was working & riding that horse all the way to victory . I think because the 9 ers have a stronger running game & a better D than the Cheif's they will come out on top at the big game & the so called experts will once again be proven wrong that it is not just a passing league & you need more than that to be a complete team or a championship team ! 

 

Even Mahomes had more success when he him self started running the ball because the Titans at times had his passing game shut down to where he had to take off & he did which wound up giving them a few more plays to draw from to help them win that game ! 

 

If we look back at the past SB champs each had a good running game the past 2 Pats wins & the Eagles had a good running game & the 2 teams shared a running back in 2 different wins when Lagarrett Blount played for each team that won their respective SB's .

 

So as it is with the "Experts" saying one thing & it turning out to be another, once again they seem to know as much as we the fans do, sure they watch more football than we do & have more access to tape & such but their analysis is like ours over all just a bit more informed guess at what it takes to win in the NFL !! Sure a good passing game is exciting but you need it all to win when it counts most !! 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the league has been trending back towards a balanced attack for a few years now. Spread options, RPO, and traditional I formation play action. How many more games would the Bills of won this year if they had put the ball in the right backs hands? Call me old fashioned but balance is how you win. Running and passing. Mahomes displayed great awareness yesterday of when it was time to use his legs verse his arm. 
 

I will also say that yesterday, Tenn should not of abandoned running Henry when they went down 28-17 with over half of the fourth quarter left. I believe they came out and did three straight passing plays after the Chiefs scores to go up 28-17. Punted the ball to Chiefs and the game was over. Vrabel and Tenn panicked and paid for it. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep, the league has been trending back towards a balanced attack for a few years now. Spread options, RPO, and traditional I formation play action. How many more games would the Bills of win this year if they had put the ball in the right backs hands? Call me old fashioned but balance is how you win. Running and passing. Mahomes displayed great awareness yesterday of when it was time to use his very verse his arm. 
 

I will also say that yesterday, Tenn should not of abandoned running Henry when they went down 28-17 with over half of the fourth quarter left. I believe they came out and did three straight passing plays after the Chiefs scores to go up 28-17. Punted the ball to Chiefs and the game was over. Vrabel and Tenn panicked and paid for it. 

The Titans knew that the Chiefs were able to move the ball and score. They got off to a great start but the Chiefs figured them out and took control and then the lead. The Titans had every reason to panic.

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passing efficiency is still the number one indicator of how good teams are. what you see in the title games is that other factors come into play because the teams that can't pass efficiently are sitting on the couch. the NFL is still a passing league in the sense that you have to get the ball down the field efficiently using the passing game if you want a chance to be pretty good. it doesn't mean that you have to throw the ball 57 times a game.

 

The season every team in the top 7 and passing efficiency made the postseason and the only two teams outside of the top 12 that made it in we're Philadelphia who was 13th and buffalo.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league always trends to something nobody wants to truly talk about:

 

You need:

 

1. Great coach

2. Be great at something (QB, passing, running, defense) and I mean truly elite

 

And you have a great chance to make a SB

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bills have all the pieces in place to replicate what San Fran is doing.

 

With a stronger commitment to running the ball, and a continued effort to keep the defense as one of the best in the NFL the Bills could be an elite football team next year.

 

I think they need to ask Allen to do a lot less, run the ball more with their backs, and continue to upgrade both lines. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, the Bills need to resolve the RT situation that has been killing them for years.

 

It killed them against Houston in the playoffs.

 

A simple move of Ford to LG and making Conklin or D.Williams a HIGH priority in FA is all that is needed.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The need to have a workable running game doesn't mean running backs are not a dime a dozen.  Perhaps that phrase a bit too strong, but the point is you don't need to break the bank for a RB.  You need a stable of young, hard runners and a high caliber OL.

 

I wonder what the odds were yesterday of Mostert having 3 times the running yards of Henry?   

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Niners running scheme much the shannahans broncos trumps the need for an "elite" back. The Niners found backs that succeed in an outside zone blocking scheme and understand it. Henry doesn't succeed due to scheme, his success comes from being a pure freak athlete. Id take scheme over 1 dominate runner, but both are not the norm. Only one team runs it like the Niners, and only 1 player runs like Henry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

First, the Bills need to resolve the RT situation that has been killing them for years.

 

It killed them against Houston in the playoffs.

 

A simple move of Ford to LG and making Conklin or D.Williams a HIGH priority in FA is all that is needed.

 

 

D Williams was horrible this season, Carolina moved him all over to find him a spot, I think he finished the season at LG. He's not been the same since 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still a passing league. The greats are retiring and probably not replaceable in the near future.

 

Because of that it will start to balance out. Not because it's not a passing league, but because Rivers is in decline, Brady, and others retired. All that's left for elite is Brees and Mahomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While SF didn't pass often - they managed to get the ball to their Running Back or (WRs that ran the ball) in space, and they were hitting the line of scrimmage at full speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The need to have a workable running game doesn't mean running backs are not a dime a dozen.  Perhaps that phrase a bit too strong, but the point is you don't need to break the bank for a RB.  You need a stable of young, hard runners and a high caliber OL.

 

I wonder what the odds were yesterday of Mostert having 3 times the running yards of Henry?   

 

But i ask what ever happened to getting into the rhythm of the game as far as the RB is concerned ? Even Derrick Henry said in a interview that he gets stronger as the game goes on & when they quit using him yesterday game over !!

 

I remember when most all the RB's would show that as the game progressed they would get in that groove & their game would come to them or they would see the field or openings better but given todays RB by committee thing they can't get into any kind of groove or rhythm of the game to where Mostert was there & when the Titans stopped running it they took getting in the groove away from Henry if that makes sense at all ...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills have all the pieces in place to replicate what San Fran is doing.

 

With a stronger commitment to running the ball, and a continued effort to keep the defense as one of the best in the NFL the Bills could be an elite football team next year.

 

I think they need to ask Allen to do a lot less, run the ball more with their backs, and continue to upgrade both lines. 

I just don’t want to draft a quarterback 7th overall and ask him to do less. I could draft a guy in the 3rd for that. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

300 yard passing games!!! Yay

 

The 49ers were knocking on the door of a 300 yard rushing game. THAT is a good recipe for success! You won’t lose a game like that very often. 

 

 

.

Edited by Augie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills have all the pieces in place to replicate what San Fran is doing.

 

With a stronger commitment to running the ball, and a continued effort to keep the defense as one of the best in the NFL the Bills could be an elite football team next year.

 

I think they need to ask Allen to do a lot less, run the ball more with their backs, and continue to upgrade both lines. 

Aaron Rodgers 21 of 39 for 326, 2 TD. WOW REALLY? A 300 yard passer, throwing 39 times... that lost!

 

Jimmy Garoppolo 6 of 8 for 77 yards WTF? and they won 37 to 20? But, but it's a passing league? Niners RB Raheem Mostert 29 carries for 220 yards

 

As others have put it, the Bills need more pieces, they need a better offensive line at certain positions. They need some better WRs, and a more dedicated OC to actually running the ball when needed. 

 

Mostert is only 5'10'' 205 lbs, so you don't need a Derrick Henry monster of a RB. The 49ers had three RBs on their roster and none were 1000 yard rushers in 2019. You just need to put some really good talent in front of him to block properly. That means using some first and second round picks on the O line. Utilizing the right run scheme too.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to have a defense that isn't bad. You have to have an offense that's good. You have to have a couple superstars that can take over a game, preferably on both sides of the ball. You need coaches that can scheme you to a win.

 

I don't think running vs passing or offense vs defense is the real issue here.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Aaron Rodgers 21 of 39 for 326, 2 TD. WOW REALLY? A 300 yard passer, throwing 39 times... that lost!

 

Jimmy Garoppolo 6 of 8 for 77 yards WTF? and they won 37 to 20? But, but it's a passing league? Niners RB Raheem Mostert 29 carries for 220 yards

 

As others have put it, the Bills need more pieces, they need a better offensive line at certain positions. They need some better WRs, and a more dedicated OC to actually running the ball when needed. 

 

Mostert is only 5'10'' 205 lbs, so you don't need a Derrick Henry monster of a RB. The 49ers had three RBs on their roster and none were 1000 yard rushers in 2019. You just need to put some really good talent in front of him to block properly. That means using some first and second round picks on the O line. Utilizing the right run scheme too.

There’s only so many shanahans to go around. I can’t even think of a back who was not amazing in the zone blocking run scheme they use. If it was easy to do I’m sure more teams would copy. The offensive line doesn’t need to be high picks, they can run that scheme with most linemen after enough practice. It’s really impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard on the radio that SF’s RB Mosart had less than 400 yards total in five years leading up to this season.....

A Dime a dozen when your O line zone blocks like that.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T master said:

What ever "expert" goes around saying that RB's are a dime a dozen & that the NFL is a passing league had their so called "Expert analysis" put to the test these games in these play offs ! 

 

They all say it & every year around this time  (we will probably see it in the SB the team) the team that wins has the better running game of the 2 teams playing & the old adage that defense wins championships still stands true ! Heck if you want to you can take it all the way back to our beloved Bills 4 SB games, the Bills had one of the most high powered offenses of that time if not the most high powered O in the league & good D & a running game derailed them .

 

Yesterday & leading up to the games we saw yesterday it was shown that a good running back with good field vision & good defense can dominate a game ! Jimmy G only threw 8 times in that game & i for one believe if the Titans would have stuck with their running game a bit more & not given up on it they too would have had a closer out come at the end of the game but when they got down they panicked like most do & completely abandoned their game plan that got them to where they were .

 

Cudo's to Shannahan for recognizing what was working & riding that horse all the way to victory . I think because the 9 ers have a stronger running game & a better D than the Cheif's they will come out on top at the big game & the so called experts will once again be proven wrong that it is not just a passing league & you need more than that to be a complete team or a championship team ! 

 

Even Mahomes had more success when he him self started running the ball because the Titans at times had his passing game shut down to where he had to take off & he did which wound up giving them a few more plays to draw from to help them win that game ! 

 

If we look back at the past SB champs each had a good running game the past 2 Pats wins & the Eagles had a good running game & the 2 teams shared a running back in 2 different wins when Lagarrett Blount played for each team that won their respective SB's .

 

So as it is with the "Experts" saying one thing & it turning out to be another, once again they seem to know as much as we the fans do, sure they watch more football than we do & have more access to tape & such but their analysis is like ours over all just a bit more informed guess at what it takes to win in the NFL !! Sure a good passing game is exciting but you need it all to win when it counts most !! 

I’m not sure what you were watching yesterday afternoon, but I watched the 49ers dominate the NFC championship game with an undrafted RB who is with his SEVENTH NFL team.  If any game supports the idea that running backs are a dime a dozen, it was that one.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Aaron Rodgers 21 of 39 for 326, 2 TD. WOW REALLY? A 300 yard passer, throwing 39 times... that lost!

 

Jimmy Garoppolo 6 of 8 for 77 yards WTF? and they won 37 to 20? But, but it's a passing league? Niners RB Raheem Mostert 29 carries for 220 yards

 

As others have put it, the Bills need more pieces, they need a better offensive line at certain positions. They need some better WRs, and a more dedicated OC to actually running the ball when needed. 

 

Mostert is only 5'10'' 205 lbs, so you don't need a Derrick Henry monster of a RB. The 49ers had three RBs on their roster and none were 1000 yard rushers in 2019. You just need to put some really good talent in front of him to block properly. That means using some first and second round picks on the O line. Utilizing the right run scheme too.

It never fails......  Yep an incredible performance on the ground and they kept scoring & scoring, forcing turnovers & 27-0 at half.

 

However during the Regular season they also had 4-300 yard passing games......  Something the Bills have had 0 in the 50 games McD has coached.....

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Aaron Rodgers 21 of 39 for 326, 2 TD. WOW REALLY? A 300 yard passer, throwing 39 times... that lost!

 

Jimmy Garoppolo 6 of 8 for 77 yards WTF? and they won 37 to 20? But, but it's a passing league? Niners RB Raheem Mostert 29 carries for 220 yards

 

As others have put it, the Bills need more pieces, they need a better offensive line at certain positions. They need some better WRs, and a more dedicated OC to actually running the ball when needed. 

 

Mostert is only 5'10'' 205 lbs, so you don't need a Derrick Henry monster of a RB. The 49ers had three RBs on their roster and none were 1000 yard rushers in 2019. You just need to put some really good talent in front of him to block properly. That means using some first and second round picks on the O line. Utilizing the right run scheme too.

 

I mean the 49ers would have made the 1970's Bills happy back when they had OJ seeing only 8 passes thrown...

 

I think at the end of the day its specific to each team you are up against and what you feel the best way to beat them is.  GB had 0 answers for stopping the 49ers on he ground and they didn't have any real reason to throw the ball.

 

Passing has been down since it peaked a few years ago recently with more teams focusing on running the ball and using uptempo to keep nickel personnel on the field when they have the advantage and running it against them repeatedly.  So yes it is still a passing league for the most part but teams are figuring out how to use that to their advantage by running the ball very effectively due to many of the changes that have been made by a lot of teams personnel wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mannc said:

I’m not sure what you were watching yesterday afternoon, but I watched the 49ers dominate the NFC championship game with an undrafted RB who is with his SEVENTH NFL team.  If any game supports the idea that running backs are a dime a dozen, it was that one.

I agree. What was more important was the scheme and the work of the oline. Mostert ran through a ton of gaping holes. He had the speed and shiftiness to finish the job, but 85% of the credit has to go to the oline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not sure what you were watching yesterday afternoon, but I watched the 49ers dominate the NFC championship game with an undrafted RB who is with his SEVENTH NFL team.  If any game supports the idea that running backs are a dime a dozen, it was that one.

 

It also supports what Shanahan said...that he is the perfect back for HIS SYSTEM.  A back may be great for a specific system but then suck in others.  This is more common than you think and why some players only seemingly succeed in one system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...