Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan in Portland

Double down on defense and O-line

Recommended Posts

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 


lots of different ways to win. what SF did was just one way. That said, if the Bills were to go your route I wouldn’t mind, mainly because I don’t think Allen is very good (yet.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How original. Just heard this on the broadcast. Glad I could read it here!

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 


you could argue two heavily invested in passing games reached the big game just as easy. You know, if you were trying to cherry pick a point.
 

which is kind of the thing- super bowl teams tend to be good all over. That’s how you get the best record in the regular season, bye and home field etc... 

 

we can invest like that for a bit. We wasted a year of it here though.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why Im glad Beane is the GM and not us. He has a plan and is following it. Fans have a plan and it is whatever worked 5 minutes ago. TRUST THE DANG PROCESS! Sorry for the caps @Hapless Bills Fan

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fansince88 said:

This is why Im glad Beane is the GM and not us. He has a plan and is following it. Fans have a plan and itbis whatever worked 5 minutes ago. TRUST THE DANG PROCESS! Sorry for the caps @Hapless Bills Fan

 

It’s not a thread title, All Good!

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good team would triple down, and skip WR, TE and RB all together. 

 

 

I’ll trust them to use our resources wisely. As always, win the LOS and the game gets much more winnable. 

 

OK, kinda kidding on the skipping WR, TE and RB, but DEAD SERIOUS about winning the LOS.  

 

 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

 

We had a top-3 defense this past season.  We have been focused on building D since McDermott and Beane arrived.  If we still need to add FOUR front 7 defenders , fundamentally we don’t have the talent and coaching evaluation to succeed.

 

In McDermott’s scheme with 4-3, the add I believe would be pass-rushing DE, not OLB.  Yes, if they can’t resign Shaq we need to replace him, and I believe they will look to add a DE in the draft.

 

Has Ford ever played LG?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they can easily get pieces.

 

If you want to talk about legit stars, they need one at receiver and one at edge defender

 

This hasn't changed

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We may need to add as many as four to the front seven:  (2) DE/edge if Shaq leaves, (1) if he stays; (1) 1-tech DT, slide Harrison Phillips over to the 3-tech; and possibly (1) OLB if Vosean Joseph isn't the answer, or anyone else on the roster

 

IMO, this regime is weak on the D-line; they say they want QB sacks and pressure, but they're not investing enough to get that.  Then there is rush defense troubles, which starts with the D-line.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How often does copycatting work? Follow your own path. We have a good one. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SF traded a 2nd rounder (IIRC) for Sanders and drafted another in the 2nd round in 2019.

SF has a pro-bowl TE.

SF has three good RBs that can all start.

SF is good in the trenches.

 

KC has three RBs that can all start.

KC has a pro-bowl TE.

KC has several playmakers at WR.

KC is good in the trenches.

 

The formula is clear.  It's nothing new.  Good coaching and a decent QB are table stakes.  After that, it takes a solid team, that is good in the trenches, that has enough playmakers, and that has solid depth.

 

Dear Bills,

Go Get `Em!

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has changed.  Step back from the ledge everyone.  This league is such a copycat league it's kind of crazy.  Everyone is gonna want to replicate what the Niners have done.  Shanahan is the NEW Mcvay.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

Nothing has changed.  Step back from the ledge everyone.  This league is such a copycat league it's kind of crazy.  Everyone is gonna want to replicate what the Niners have done.  Shanahan is the NEW Mcvay.  

 

It's more about how the 49ers are built, from the lines out.  Not necessarily running more; they ran to expose GB and Pettine's weakness in rush D.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Wow, what happened to all the "We need WR's!" talk?

 

Most forgot Ray Ray is still on the practice squad. 

  • Haha (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all...I agree with this philosophy MOST of the time

 

but

 

There comes a time when you have to allocate the resources to the weapons..we have been sparingly doing that.....the two teams going to the Super Bowl have WEAPONS.....

 

Deebo Samuel a HUGE part of his teams win

 

The Chiefs?   Needs I say more?

 

Our defense is already Super Bowl caliber....literally they are a top 5 D with most of them under contract.   Can you improve upon it?  Sure....pass rush is needed

 

What about this offense that scores like 14 points a game....our best targets are

 

- A fast WR that just had his best season....thats great....he is also small

- OUr best TE is a rookie

- Our best RB is amazing bu tlacks speed.....and needs to be platooned with another good back

- Our Offensive line was addressed heavily this past offseason.  Ty and Waddle can be the RT's

- We literally have no size at WR except for Duke who for some reason cant get on the field

- We just addressed DT with Oliver.....Luget was a find....Horrible Harry is coming back.

 

 

- WR....TWO of them in a draft that has good ones......a pass rusher.......a quality RB to back up DS......then best available player because their honestly are not a lot of open spots on this team.......resign our own players

 

Can we get a new ST's coach?

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We may need to add as many as four to the front seven:  (2) DE/edge if Shaq leaves, (1) if he stays; (1) 1-tech DT, slide Harrison Phillips over to the 3-tech; and possibly (1) OLB if Vosean Joseph isn't the answer, or anyone else on the roster

 

IMO, this regime is weak on the D-line; they say they want QB sacks and pressure, but they're not investing enough to get that.  Then there is rush defense troubles, which starts with the D-line.

There could be 4 additions.

And I would say they have invested. 
Draft:

Harrison Phillips 3rd Round Pick

Ed Oliver 1st Round Pick

 

Free Agents:

Trent Murphy 

Stat Lotulelei

 

Extended:

Jerry Hughes

 

 

-You could argue that you don’t agree with how they’re investing at D-Line, but they’re definitely putting valuable resources there.

 

And I would argue they have a set up in place.

Murphy is $9M/yr, but can be cut this off-season if they find a better option. 

Star is $10M/yr but can be cut after 2020.
Hughes is also expensive but can be cut after the 2020 season.

 

I do believe they’ll bring Shaq back.

I also believe they’ll spend another $8-$20M on a free agent (I’m not sure how hard they want to go, or who they like, so it could vary greatly, they could go after a Vic Beasley for $6-$8 per year, or Ngakoue for $18-$20 per year.)

 

i also believe they’ll draft an edge in round 1 or 2. 
 

They’ve made quality additions to this team at Corner, Safety, Linebackers. 

On offense they’ve re-done the entire group. And made the playoffs while converting an old expensive roster into a young cheap one.

 

I think it’s a good sign that they’ll make quality improvements on the edge this off-season as well. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

How often does copycatting work? Follow your own path. We have a good one. 

 

As long as that path includes bringing in a play maker at WR.

 

For the record, I like the path we're on. It's gonna come down to the QB, but that's true of every team (except the Dilfer Ravens).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

How often does copycatting work? Follow your own path. We have a good one. 


very good point. And the OP seems to have completely ignored what happened earlier in the day with KC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:


very good point. And the OP seems to have completely ignored what happened earlier in the day with KC. 

 

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if KC can do as good a job stifling SF's run game as they did on "King Henry", and also interesting to see what SF does with Mahomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m for this, but the reason the Niners are so successful offensively is because of 1. Shannys running scheme, and 2. Kittle. 

 

Kittle is the best blocking TE in football, has sure thing hands, and can a run a crisp route. 
 

The Niners seem to struggle a bit more when they don’t have him at 100%.

In other words, we should try to find our Kittle (please be it Knox) 

 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

We had a top-3 defense this past season.  We have been focused on building D since McDermott and Beane arrived.  If we still need to add FOUR front 7 defenders , fundamentally we don’t have the talent and coaching evaluation to succeed.

 

In McDermott’s scheme with 4-3, the add I believe would be pass-rushing DE, not OLB.  Yes, if they can’t resign Shaq we need to replace him, and I believe they will look to add a DE in the draft.

 

Has Ford ever played LG?

We had a top 3 defense in yards, not in performance. We need a defense that can rush the passer. I'm fine with targeting DE as the pass rusher, but I think those guys are harder to find than an OLB that can come off the edge. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:


lots of different ways to win. what SF did was just one way. That said, if the Bills were to go your route I wouldn’t mind, mainly because I don’t think Allen is very good (yet.)

 

JMO, but if we don't invest more in OL, the run game, and receiving targets we're not liable to find out if Allen can be very good or not.

People generally seem to under-estimate the effect having that extra fraction of a second makes to a QB.

 

I think we saw that today in Aaron Rodgers.

 

Having a run game that must be respected and having a better OL all around are, IMO, key to being able to develop and evaluate a young passer.

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...