Double down on defense and O-line

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’m for this, but the reason the Niners are so successful offensively is because of 1. Shannys running scheme, and 2. Kittle. 

Kittle is the best blocking TE in football, has sure thing hands, and can a run a crisp route. 

The Niners seem to struggle a bit more when they don’t have him at 100%.

In other words, we should try to find our Kittle (please be it Knox) 

I agree Kittle is a huge part of the Niners offense.  TE is an important position, just look at both Kittle and Kelce who are game changers and need to be accounted for on the field at all times.  Couple that with speedy wr's - Deebo Sanders and Hill, and you'll have mismatches somewhere.  Knox has shown he can be a productive TE, but is he the mauler that can throw huge blocks one play and be speeding down the middle of the field the next play?  We shall see.

To what the OP said.  Need a Right Tackle (kick Ford to guard), a true #2 RB, another quality WR and our offense should get better.  Not too difficult via FA and a WR deep draft.  

Defense needs edge rush help, another outside LB and a true #2 CB along with improving CB and Safety depth.  

Overall, we need to follow our own blueprint and not copy the "flavor of the day".  Many different blueprints have won the Super Bowl - the "Greastest Show On Turf" Rams, to the balanced Giants, to the defense heavy Bucs.  And of course the patsies who win with balance and an ever changing lineup.

7 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I think the Bills should load up on WR’s and TE’s, much like the Chiefs did, and especially before the Bills have to pay Allen over a $100M contract extension. With all the weapons Mahomes has at his disposal, it’s almost impossible for defenses to stop the Chiefs offense. 

There is a lot to agree with, but it also takes execution and scheme and something which you can't coach... brass ones.

Did you see the 41 yard pass at the end of the game on 3rd down yesterday? That is Reid's confidence in his players and scheme.

In other words Mariota on the Titans with weapons wasn't the same team under Tannehill. The scheme changed and the players looked elite.

On the other hand Bridgewater gets to sit behind Brees, learn, and under that scheme play very serviceable. I guarantee you if you remove Bridgewater and put him on the Bengals he would be horrible.

Schemes, coaching, and yes players are important. I say the 2 most important pieces are scheme and QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They've invested a lot in the defensive line.... with all the investment I still wouldn't even consider it a good unit. 

If this is the case, we're in a lot of trouble regarding player evaluation and coaching.  We just got a new D-line coach and I expect reinforcements on the d-line, as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If this is the case, we're in a lot of trouble regarding player evaluation and coaching.  We just got a new D-line coach and I expect reinforcements on the d-line, as well.

If you're prioritizing Dline over Oline and offensive playmakers, you're utterly ignoring the side of the ball that clearly needs the most attention.

Allen's development into a franchise qb is also keyed into increasing the talent around him. There's really not any aspect of the team more important than securing the franchise qb, so unless one is a member of the dismal group that already "knows" Allen is not a good qb, it makes more sense to primarily address the offense.

Edited by Dr. Who

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

JMO, but if we don't invest more in OL, the run game, and receiving targets we're not liable to find out if Allen can be very good or not.

People generally seem to under-estimate the effect having that extra fraction of a second makes to a QB.

I think we saw that today in Aaron Rodgers.

Having a run game that must be respected and having a better OL all around are, IMO, key to being able to develop and evaluate a young passer.

Way to go. OL makes every pos better in so many ways. Obtain an established WR cuz I don’t want another Zay Jones situation. 
when josh has so much time he stands there and doesn’t move his feet, it gets me fully torqued 

1 hour ago, Plano said:

We should draft ALL Wide Receivers in the draft.

Every. Single. Pick.

What makes you think mcbeane knows how to draft WRs at all

I agree.

The Bills share a heck of a lot more similarities with the 49ers than they do the Chiefs.

Continue upgrading the defense, upgrade the offensive line, add another running back and run it 40 times a game like the 49ers do.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree.

The Bills share a heck of a lot more similarities with the 49ers than they do the Chiefs.

Continue upgrading the defense, upgrade the offensive line, add another running back and run it 40 times a game like the 49ers do.

Except of course, the league average offensive ppg is 63.5, the 49ers average exactly that, and they run on average 31 rush plays per game.

But don't let facts interfere.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except of course, the league average offensive ppg is 63.5, the 49ers average exactly that, and they run on average 31 rush plays per game.

But don't let facts interfere.

True.

I feel like the last time I checked rushing attempts per game was mid season and I feel like they were right up there with Baltimore.

I stand fully corrected. 

I guess I'd like us run it with our running backs as much as they do. This year we only ran it with our backs 22 times a game with our backs which isn't enough in my opinion. 

Ideally I think our backs touch it 28-30 times a game and Allen adds in 4-6 runs. 

Edited by jrober38

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

True.

I feel like the last time I checked rushing attempts per game was mid season and I feel like they were right up there with Baltimore.

I stand fully corrected. 

I guess I'd like us run it with our running backs as much as they do. This year we only ran it with our backs 22 times a game with our backs which isn't enough in my opinion. 

Ideally I think our backs touch it 28-30 times a game and Allen adds in 4-6 runs. 

I dunno, I think this is just a backhanded way of saying you think Allen sucks at qb and is best as a glorified rb.

You're wrong about that.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If you're prioritizing Dline over Oline and offensive playmakers, you're utterly ignoring the side of the ball that clearly needs the most attention.

Allen's development into a franchise qb is also keyed into increasing the talent around him. There's really not any aspect of the team more important than securing the franchise qb, so unless one is a member of the dismal group that already "knows" Allen is not a good qb, it makes more sense to primarily address the offense.

I believe we still have pieces we need to add to the D-line and O-line, especially the right side; those are a priority, before a skill position.  I'm aware we need a WR1 and a RB to alternate with Singletary.  We have enough cap space and draft picks that we should be able to address these needs this off season.  So saying offense first, then defense if we have time and resources is not the correct way to go about filling in gaps.