Grading Beane, McDermott, OC, DC, and JA

Bing Bong

The board seems all over the place on this one, so who are we crediting for our success this year? I wanted a topic specifically gathering our opinions on the big 5. Let's be respectful of others opinions as I feel there is a lot of disagreement here:

Beane: B- not in love with the offense he's assembled, especially our poor decisions with receivers although I understand he hasn't had much time to focus on it. Kudos for the defense but I have to give McDermott props on the secondary since he made most of it before Beane got on board and is a DB coach.

McDermott: A+++ the man I give full credit to for this year. Dude's a keeper. I strongly believe HC's should get the lion's share of credit for a good year (see Kitchens blowing it with a talented roster). Beane brings the talent, McDermott brought the winning culture. Not to mention his work on the secondary I mentioned in Beane's grade.

Daboll: D the offense just isn't up to snuff. I understand he's not working with much, but I always get frustrated every Sunday with something he does. Granted I don't know much about exactly what his contribution as OC brings to the table but IMO not a fan.

Frazier: A- fantastic job. Only thing i'd criticize is I want to see more blitz but what do I know? His unit has been fantastic this year.

Josh Allen: B a complete enigma. Every Sunday I alternate every series with being fed up with him.. and next series I'm amazed at a 3rd and long he completes. JA may be the most polarizing figure on here so I'll just leave this with an average grade and say while I want to see more.. he's been good enough and he's my franchise QB for now!

• Thank you (+1) 1

How much did you expect in one offsesason with 9 new starters on offense and multiple new backups/reserves? I mean c'mon bro, let's be realistic here. I know it doesn't matter in Madden and you can just plug and play anyone and not suffer any dropoff but this is real life and it matters---a LOT.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

How much did you expect in one offsesason with 9 new starters on offense? I mean c'mon bro, let's be realistic here. I know it doesn't matter in Madden and you can just plug and play anyone and not suffer any dropoff but this is real life.

The defense turned it around in one off-season last year. It's not unheard of to churn a competent unit. But I agree Daboll isn't working with too much.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

The defense turned it around in one off-season last year. It's not unheard of to churn a competent unit. But I agree Daboll isn't working with too much.

So they had 9 new starters or like 3 or 4 new starters?

By my count they had Star, Murphy, Edmunds and Wallace as starters that were new. Also Murphy only started 10 games last year and Start was rotational and only played on 1st and 2nd downs mostly.  A lot more manageable when you have players at every level of the defense that really know the scheme and can help the newcomers versus this year on offense where literally 2 or 3 people knew the scheme and some had position groups with 0 like RB and TE's

Not to mention the defense is helped a lot by players who are smart and flexible position wise and who play the scheme to near perfection. Almost never a busted coverage, almost never players out of position, etc.  Yeah sometimes they can gashed a little on run fits but they get those fixed.  The defense is also helped tremendously by the scheme they play which prevents deep throws and keeps everything in front of them so they can rally to the ball and tackle.  Ever see how many Bills defenders are around a ball on most plays compared to other teams? Sometimes it looks like they are playing with 12 or 13 players out there.

Edited by matter2003

Whatever happens I think we are setup for future success and should be competing for playoffs and more for the foreseeable future. That was a goal for our head office.

Remember the defense has had three years to gel together. I’m more excited about where this offense will be next year and beyond.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is an easy A. He turned the entire roster in 2 years, may have found his QB and has $90m+ in cap space. He’s the most responsible IMO.

McDermott is an A-/B+ from me. Culture is fantastic. Team is disciplined and prepared. Clock management and challenges still need work.

Daboll is a B- from me. He’s not creative enough in the red zone for me. I also think Josh needs to run early in games to get into the flow. 

Frazier is an A-. He’s done a nice job with a really talented defense. My only gripe is that I’d like them to attack a touch more.

Josh is a B-. He has shown flashes of what he can become. He needs to be more accurate and consistent. He’s taking the steps though. If he keeps on this trajectory he’s going to be a really good NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Poor decisions on receivers? 

Brown with a career year and Beasley very close to a career year.  And they cut bait with Zay.  I mean don't get me wrong, I do miss his levitation trick coming off the ground from a prone position, but still...

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think this fan base doesn’t know how to handle a playoff week.  I’ve read the most bizarre threads this week.  It’s like a meltdown.  

I'm just having a retrospective of possibly my favorite Bills season to date lol.

Of course we don't know how to handle it.. it never happens!

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Poor decisions on receivers? 

Kelvin Benjamin still irks me. Disliked him in Carolina

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You graded Beane a B- over the offense he assembled?? 
He is a gm of the year candidate based mostly off of the offense he assembled in one offseason really. He hit homeruns on almost every signing and draft pick. 
They built an offensive line with 4 new players and depth. 
Not in love with Beasley and Smoke? Why? What more did you want to see from them? Besides coles few drops he’s been amazing. 
There are not many, if any success stories for an offense similar to what Beane just accomplished this season adding this many players on offense. I won’t worry about grades for the others until I see what they do for the postseason, because honestly a good showing changes everyone else’s grades. 
But Beane deserves an A or an A+ without a doubt regardless of the postseason. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

You graded Beane a B- over the offense he assembled?? 
He is a gm of the year candidate based mostly off of the offense he assembled in one offseason really. He hit homeruns on almost every signing and draft pick. 
They built an offensive line with 4 new players and depth. 
Not in love with Beasley and Smoke? Why? What more did you want to see from them? Besides coles few drops he’s been amazing. 
There are not many, if any success stories for an offense similar to what Beane just accomplished this season adding this many players on offense. I won’t worry about grades for the others until I see what they do for the postseason, because honestly a good showing changes everyone else’s grades. 
But Beane deserves an A or an A+ without a doubt regardless of the postseason. 

Also that McDermott appears to have control over the secondary, our best unit IMO. I've been tough on Beane so I get why some grade him better.

7 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'm just having a retrospective of possibly my favorite Bills season to date lol.

Of course we don't know how to handle it.. it never happens!

Kelvin Benjamin still irks me. Disliked him in Carolina

OK you got one.  Zay also even though he had a respectable 7 TDs last year.  But the key is they don't let the fact they made a mistake hinder them from improving.  They don't try and justify giving up a 3rd round pick to hold on to a player who isn't performing.  They don't try and justify holding onto a player who they drafted in the second round and traded up to go get from tying to improving if they think that is the right thing to do.  It's a very Belichik like way of managing the roster where it is based on production.  They will get the chance to respond and improve to the coaching they receive and if they still aren't making progress then they have to go. Started from year 1 and has been pretty consistent across the board even when they were really talented players.

I'm giving Beane a solid A.  It is not easy to:

1) Get rid of talented players and take huge dead cap hits the following year even though its what they truly believed needed to happen for the betterment of their team.

2) Draft and sign free agents and even UDFA's that are key contributors in so many places.

3) Find the right type of players who will all mesh together and have no ego's but want to play and win for each other in one of the ultimate "Me" sports.

4) Create one of the best cap situations in the NFL while making the playoffs in their first true "rebuilt" year where they started seeing the fruits of their labor.  They were a year ahead of schedule if you ask anyone to be honest at OBD.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

weak-sauce_o_2899137.thumb.jpg.86b8f8304e5b89cace04eb381cbcd124.jpg

20 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Beane: B- not in love with the offense he's assembled, especially our poor decisions with receivers although I understand he hasn't had much time to focus on it. Kudos for the defense but I have to give McDermott props on the secondary since he made most of it before Beane got on board and is a DB coach

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

OK you got one.  Zay also even though he had a respectable 7 TDs last year.  But the key is they don't let the fact they made a mistake hinder them from improving.  They don't try and justify giving up a 3rd round pick to hold on to a player who isn't performing.  They don't try and justify holding onto a player who they drafted in the second round and traded up to go get from tying to improving if they think that is the right thing to do.  It's a very Belichik like way of managing the roster where it is based on production.  They will get the chance to respond and improve to the coaching they receive and if they still aren't making progress then they have to go. Started from year 1 and has been pretty consistent across the board.

True I can appreciate that he's not too proud to cut bait. But fine I'm asking for other people's grade to guage what people think. Give us yours for us to pick apart. There's no pleasing everyone dude.. unless it's A+s across the board lol

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

weak-sauce_o_2899137.thumb.jpg.86b8f8304e5b89cace04eb381cbcd124.jpg

B's and up are good enough to stick with going forward for me. I probably lowered everyone a bit to make McDermott really stand out as I still believe he's far and away the man to give most credit to.

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

True I can appreciate that he's not too proud to cut bait. But fine I'm asking for other people's grade to guage what people think. Give us yours for us to pick apart. There's no pleasing everyone dude.. unless it's A+s across the board lol

I think the magnitude and depth of the hits far outweighs any of the misses. In addition to not only getting players that are good but also ones that buy into what is being taught here, the family atmosphere and the culture.  That stuff is all important or else you end up like Cleveland this year.  In addition to making the playoffs while setting us up for future success with nearly $90 million of cap space next year.  The off the field stuff might be even MORE important than what has happened on the field.

Look at the Rams...they went for one year of glory by trading away all their high picks and didn't get it.  Now they have cap hell and no picks for the next 2-3 years, not to mention an albatross of a contract they gave Goff that looks like one of the worst decisions ever made in the NFL. What are THEY going to do?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think the magnitude and depth of the hits far outweighs any of the misses. In addition to not only getting players that are good but also ones that buy into what is being taught here, the family atmosphere and the culture.  That stuff is all important or else you end up like Cleveland this year.  In addition to making the playoffs while setting us up for future success with nearly $90 million of cap space next year.  The off the field stuff might be even MORE important than what has happened on the field.

Right. I guess my point is I'm giving a lot of that culture to McDermott's job as HC. I'm probably just grading on a curve here to make McD stand out more, but Beane's been more than good enough to stick with. Not calling for his head or anything. Y'all be complaining about a B-..

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look at the Rams...they went for one year of glory by trading away all their high picks and didn't get it.  Now they have cap hell and no picks for the next 2-3 years, not to mention an albatross of a contract they gave Goff that looks like one of the worst decisions ever made in the NFL. What are THEY going to do?

I'd have called it worth it had they beaten the Patriots. Thought the GM was doing great until they resigned Gurley. Also quite a bit of bad luck with his injury.

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

3) Find the right type of players who will all mesh together and have no ego's but want to play and win for each other in one of the ultimate "Me" sports.

My philosophy is the HC makes them this way. Look at Randy Moss with Belicheck. Had he spent his whole career in NE I think we have a totally different opinion on his character.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane is an easy A. He turned the entire roster in 2 years, may have found his QB and has $90m+ in cap space. He’s the most responsible IMO.

McDermott is an A-/B+ from me. Culture is fantastic. Team is disciplined and prepared. Clock management and challenges still need work.

Daboll is a B- from me. He’s not creative enough in the red zone for me. I also think Josh needs to run early in games to get into the flow. 

Frazier is an A-. He’s done a nice job with a really talented defense. My only gripe is that I’d like them to attack a touch more.

Josh is a B-. He has shown flashes of what he can become. He needs to be more accurate and consistent. He’s taking the steps though. If he keeps on this trajectory he’s going to be a really good NFL QB.

I think this is fair and pretty close to where I am as well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Right. I guess my point is I'm giving a lot of that culture to McDermott's job as HC. I'm probably just grading on a curve here to make McD stand out more, but Beane's been more than good enough to stick with. Not calling for his head or anything. Y'all be complaining about a B-..

Because were in the playoffs with $90 mill in cap space and essentially an entirely new offense. This year alone he hit on Brown, Beasley, Morse, Knox, Singletary and a bunt single on Ford. That is a LOT to get right in one offseason and have come together.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jletha said:

Because were in the playoffs with $90 mill in cap space and essentially an entirely new offense. This year alone he hit on Brown, Beasley, Morse, Knox, Singletary and a bunt on Ford. That is a LOT to get right in one offseason.

Brown and Beasley should be the caliber recievers any team has. Correcting the group to league average isn't hard. Look at how McKenzie stood out last year. The group was so bad anybody most any practice squad player with a feel for football could stand out as a capable WR 

It's a step in the right direction

• Like (+1) 2

Beane A.     Totally revamped the roster with boatloads of cash and draft picks to continue to improve the team

McD A.  Changed the culture of the team and has got this team playing so well that it’s difficult to beat them

Daboll B-   Great schemes, each game is unique in that they change their identity for the game.  That has its pluses and minuses.   His play calling at times isn’t the best

Leslie Frazier A-   Hard to gauge his impact.  I just believe this is McD’s defense and has his footprints all over it

Josh Allen B.  I would give him a higher grade considering that he never played for a major program and was very raw coming in and has markedly improved his play.   He is an absolute gamer and the heart and soul of the offense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Brown and Beasley should be the caliber recievers any team has. Correcting the group to league average isn't hard. Look at how McKenzie stood out last year. The group was so bad anybody most any practice squad player with a feel for football could stand out as a capable WR 

It's a step in the right direction

Disagree. Look at some of the other WRs that changed teams and how they did: Beckham, Randall Cobb, Crowder, Tate, Adam Humphries, etc. Theres a lot of signings that DO NOT work for lots of reasons, culture is one of them. Of the FA WR signings I would say that Brown and Beasley have been the most successful since both exceeded or met their career best performances. That is very difficult to do in any FA signings, let alone two in the same year. Youre underselling the job he did in terms of bringing in talent and managing the cap.

I would say Beane almost deserves a higher grade than McDermott.

8 minutes ago, jletha said:

Disagree. Look at some of the other WRs that changed teams and how they did: Beckham, Randall Cobb, Crowder, Tate, Adam Humphries, etc. Theres a lot of signings that DO NOT work for lots of reasons, culture is one of them. Of the FA WR signings I would say that Brown and Beasley have been the most successful since both exceeded or met their career best performances. That is very difficult to do in any FA signings, let alone two in the same year. Youre underselling the job he did in terms of bringing in talent and managing the cap.

I would say Beane almost deserves a higher grade than McDermott.

They weren't signed as the consensus top 2 WRs like in Buffalo. The GMs were paying attention to their WR group before those signing depth players.. not starters.

I love Smoke and Beasley but they shouldn't be going up against the top CBs in the league. They're perfect as the 2 and 3. I'll happily give Beane an A in time if he can get the group to par. B is still waiting on him to wow me with the roster

19 minutes ago, jletha said:

Because were in the playoffs with $90 mill in cap space and essentially an entirely new offense. This year alone he hit on Brown, Beasley, Morse, Knox, Singletary and a bunt single on Ford. That is a LOT to get right in one offseason and have come together.

You forgot probably the best signing he made in Feliciano. Not splashy but a no doubt homerun. Just my 2 cents but he’s the nasty that really gets that line going. 
And Vosean just hiding away on IR as the forgotten man possibly making an impact next year. As fans we wanted a lot of shiny toys last offseason and we had no clue what he actually bought  us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

Beane A.     Totally revamped the roster with boatloads of cash and draft picks to continue to improve the team

McD A.  Changed the culture of the team and has got this team playing so well that it’s difficult to beat them

Daboll B-   Great schemes, each game is unique in that they change their identity for the game.  That has its pluses and minuses.   His play calling at times isn’t the best

Leslie Frazier A-   Hard to gauge his impact.  I just believe this is McD’s defense and has his footprints all over it

Josh Allen B.  I would give him a higher grade considering that he never played for a major program and was very raw coming in and has markedly improved his play.   He is an absolute gamer and the heart and soul of the offense

All in all I agree most with this one. I am not a hater on Daboll as many have been on this and other pages. That said, I like his scheme. I like his play designs. I do think he struggles as to when to call them though. But hey, if they all worked instead of not work he would be a genius. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

They weren't signed as the consensus top 2 WRs like in Buffalo. The GMs were paying attention to their WR group before those signing depth players.. not starters.

Beckham and Tate werent top 2 options? Jamison CRowder was signed as a depth guy? Uhh...

Just now, Rc2catch said:

You forgot probably the best signing he made in Feliciano. Not splashy but a no doubt homerun. Just my 2 cents but he’s the nasty that really gets that line going. 
And Vosean just hiding away on IR as the forgotten man possibly making an impact next year. As fans we wanted a lot of shiny toys last offseason and we had no clue what he actually bought  us. 

He is so hidden I have forgotten what position he plays. No, really!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jletha said:

Beckham and Tate werent top 2 options? Jamison CRowder was signed as a depth guy? Uhh...

Ugh Beckham did just as fine as Brown. And FOH with Randall Cobb and Giants and Jets offense lol. They were all dumpster fires. Never said Beane was. Brown was a flat out better FA than Crowder for anybody at the time. Enunwa beat out Crowder 

Smoke didn't join an offense with Jarvis Landry or Amari Cooper eh?

I love Smoke and Beasley but they shouldn't be going up against the top CBs in the league. They're perfect as the 2 and 3. I'll happily give Beane an A in time if he can get the group to par. B is still waiting on him to wow me with the roster

3 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Yes. I remember now. I remember thinking he would take over for.....oh whats his name....the guy retiring....?

Lol I’m not sure he’s capable of taking that spot. But he is possibly a Milano replacement if they were to let him walk at a later date. Not what I want, just looks to be the role Joseph would fit on this defense. 

3 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I love Smoke and Beasley but they shouldn't be going up against the top CBs in the league. They're perfect as the 2 and 3. I'll happily give Beane an A in time if he can get the group to par. B is still waiting on him to wow me with the roster

Wow you? You have extremely high expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

BB = B+ maybe higher as the season is not over, needs a year or two more to fix the offense through acquisitions.

SM = B maybe higher as the season is not over, needs to kick his OC in the asz to fix the offense, a bit stubborn in use and non use of players that do and don’t help the team.

BD = C+ sometimes a B, seasons not over so...,  play designs are good, but calls the wrong plays at times to the offenses detriment.

LF = B never sure if it’s him or SM that’s responsible for what the D is doing, 

JA this year, C- to A not always on him as the whole offense loses focus during games for to long before recovering, receivers drop far to many passes. Has two additional receivers on the team that could help him, but the coaches won’t activate and actually use them in a normal rotation.

That’s all I got, not enough motivation to go into more detail, just had a big lunch, kinda groggy, ??

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Lol I’m not sure he’s capable of taking that spot. But he is possibly a Milano replacement if they were to let him walk at a later date. Not what I want, just looks to be the role Joseph would fit on this defense. 

This would truly make me sad. Glad you got your sarcasm meter on. Good form my friend.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Wow you? You have extremely high expectations. 

Sure if an A+ is putting together the greatest show on turf over one off-season where does that put Beane..? A front office HC A and GM A is a 15-1 team. It's just my grading curve lol. B-/A is a great FO