Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

 

McDaniel's bailed on Indy

Why would he accept Cleveland? 

Well, the owner in Indy does have a history and perhaps he knew something about Andrew Luck going forward.

 

To me, Cleveland remains about the most dysfunction organization in the league with no end in sight for those poor fans. 

 

Washington is a close second and now Carolina is closing that gap with new owner Tepper. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know who I “want” but some available OCs out there are ken whisenhunt, Jay gruden, hue, pat shurmur, Jim Caldwell, Todd Haley. You could also go after a college guy like Joe Brady.

 

First off I want Daboll to stay if possible.  I'm assuming of course that as more weapons are added and Allen continues to improve Daboll will quit tapping the breaks on the O.  Continuity in developing a young QB is important.  And IMO Daboll's positives at this point outweigh the negatives.

 

But if he were to go I would love adding Joe Brady as O-coordinator.  What he's done for Burrow & LSU is astonishing. 

 

I don't see Daboll leaving Buffalo to take the OC job at Cleveland.  He's been in Buffalo 2 seasons and he must be thinking he's on the brink of something special with Allen.  And given Buffalo's CAP room he knows he's getting more talent on the offensive side of the ball next season. 

 

I also think that there are now real questions about the long tern viability of Mayfield.  That Allen has moved ahead of Baker seems obvious to me.  And while Daboll might like a challenge do you really think he wants to go through fixing a broken young QB after working with a very RAW Allen?  Especially given the fact that Mayfield doesn't seem to be as agreeable as Allen? 

 

One final thought here is that if Daboll went to Cleveland and the Browns O got better would he really get the credit?  McDanial is highly regarded as an offensive guy and folks are going to whisper that it's really MCDanial and not Daboll.  In contrast any & all improvements in the Bills O is going to be credited to Daboll given that McD is a defensive guy.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:26 PM, london_bills said:

Watson didn't start off well but got better. Our QB was the opposite. 

That is Allen’s MO more often than not 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I want the Browns to get it right, but they really should be targeting Greg Roman as their HC.  Not only would his offense make Mayfield better overnight, it would also weaken the Ravens, which should be appealing to them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

 

First off I want Daboll to stay if possible.  I'm assuming of course that as more weapons are added and Allen continues to improve Daboll will quit tapping the breaks on the O.  Continuity in developing a young QB is important.  And IMO Daboll's positives at this point outweigh the negatives.

 

But if he were to go I would love adding Joe Brady as O-coordinator.  What he's done for Burrow & LSU is astonishing. 

 

I don't see Daboll leaving Buffalo to take the OC job at Cleveland.  He's been in Buffalo 2 seasons and he must be thinking he's on the brink of something special with Allen.  And given Buffalo's CAP room he knows he's getting more talent on the offensive side of the ball next season. 

 

I also think that there are now real questions about the long tern viability of Mayfield.  That Allen has moved ahead of Baker seems obvious to me.  And while Daboll might like a challenge do you really think he wants to go through fixing a broken young QB after working with a very RAW Allen?  Especially given the fact that Mayfield doesn't seem to be as agreeable as Allen? 

 

One final thought here is that if Daboll went to Cleveland and the Browns O got better would he really get the credit?  McDanial is highly regarded as an offensive guy and folks are going to whisper that it's really MCDanial and not Daboll.  In contrast any & all improvements in the Bills O is going to be credited to Daboll given that McD is a defensive guy. 

 

Wait, Wat?  Are you talking about Daboll going to Cleveland to be McDaniel's OC?  That's simply not going to happen.  Daboll is under contract to the Bills as their OC.  They are not gonna release him from that contract to go be an OC somewhere else.

 

Freeing a guy up to take a step and accept a better opportunity is one thing.  For a lateral move is something else.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not that I want the Browns to get it right, but they really should be targeting Greg Roman as their HC.  Not only would his offense make Mayfield better overnight, it would also weaken the Ravens, which should be appealing to them.  

I don’t Mayfield fits in a Roman offense in the slightest.  Guys like Roman and Daboll (who is a lot worse) are OCs at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

 

McDaniel's bailed on Indy

Why would he accept Cleveland? 

There’s no certainty that he will accept the Cleveland job.  That’s for obvious reasons.  But I do hear that he had legitimate reasons for bailing on Indy and that they are known by many in the NFL.  I don’t know the specifics on that as the person who told me wouldn’t divulge.  The Browns have two big things going for them with McDaniels though.  1) Haslam is willing to give him pretty much whatever he wants.  2) He is Northeast Ohio born and raised.  He’d love to return the team he grew up rooting for to glory.

 

We should all know what’s up by Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you think Daboll has sent the Browns a follow-up email yet?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

do you think Daboll has sent the Browns a follow-up email yet?

Handwritten thank you card via snail mail would really stand out in the digital age. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

do you think Daboll has sent the Browns a follow-up email yet?

He asked for a follow up lunch

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns fans hate Daboll. Yesterday I was listening to Cleveland sports radio and a guy called in and said he didn’t want Daboll because when he was OC for the Browns, he came into his car dealership and was looking at a new vehicle. He talked to no one but spend considerable time looking at the car - he said he slid underneath the car to check it out in detail. Then he walked up to him and paid full sticker price for it and left with zero negotiation or discussion. The fan felt he was stupid.
 

I find this hard to believe simply because he would not fit underneath a car. 

  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

do you think Daboll has sent the Browns a follow-up email yet?


Vic Carucci (Who worked in Cleveland) said that Daboll was at the Browns for the entire day and then some.  He said that they don’t grant day-long interviews for people they aren’t interesting in 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Wait, Wat?  Are you talking about Daboll going to Cleveland to be McDaniel's OC?  That's simply not going to happen.  Daboll is under contract to the Bills as their OC.  They are not gonna release him from that contract to go be an OC somewhere else.

 

Freeing a guy up to take a step and accept a better opportunity is one thing.  For a lateral move is something else.

 

 

Agreed - unless they actually would prefer that he leave. Not saying they do (or I do). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:


Vic Carucci (Who worked in Cleveland) said that Daboll was at the Browns for the entire day and then some.  He said that they don’t grant day-long interviews for people they aren’t interesting in 

We shoulda hired Chan when we had the chance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it odd that Stefanski is interviewing this week when he has a game in a few days?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fact the Browns are moving forward with their other interviews means Daboll isn't the frontrunner.  If a guy blows you away you don't "complete the process" -- you make the hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eball said:

I think the fact the Browns are moving forward with their other interviews means Daboll isn't the frontrunner.  If a guy blows you away you don't "complete the process" -- you make the hire.

In this case, they can do whatever they want because they are the only opening left. I still don’t think Daboll gets the job unless everyone else turns it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YoloinOhio said:

they can do whatever they want because they are the only opening left

 

Ahh -- I hadn't considered that.  Never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the fact the Browns are moving forward with their other interviews means Daboll isn't the frontrunner.  If a guy blows you away you don't "complete the process" -- you make the hire.


Maybe but that’s not necessarily true. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

In this case, they can do whatever they want because they are the only opening left. I still don’t think Daboll gets the job unless everyone else turns it down. 


Like I said, they wouldn’t waste an entire day interviewing him, if the team wasn’t interested.  I think he has a chance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly just fulfilling the little known chipmunk requirement clause in the Rooney Rule

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Browns fans hate Daboll. Yesterday I was listening to Cleveland sports radio and a guy called in and said he didn’t want Daboll because when he was OC for the Browns, he came into his car dealership and was looking at a new vehicle. He talked to no one but spend considerable time looking at the car - he said he slid underneath the car to check it out in detail. Then he walked up to him and paid full sticker price for it and left with zero negotiation or discussion. The fan felt he was stupid.
 

I find this hard to believe simply because he would not fit underneath a car. 

 

That last sentence was writing gold.  I read it in Nick Offerman voice.  

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Browns fans hate Daboll. Yesterday I was listening to Cleveland sports radio and a guy called in and said he didn’t want Daboll because when he was OC for the Browns, he came into his car dealership and was looking at a new vehicle. He talked to no one but spend considerable time looking at the car - he said he slid underneath the car to check it out in detail. Then he walked up to him and paid full sticker price for it and left with zero negotiation or discussion. The fan felt he was stupid.
 

I find this hard to believe simply because he would not fit underneath a car. 

Egregious and uncalled for Yolo!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 10:39 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

Don't know about Cleveland but he needs to go somewhere.

 

I am not the biggest Daboll fan, I honestly wouldn't be sad to see him go if the Browns hired him (although it would prove Steven A Smith's theory that mediocre white coaches will always get hired.) But if the Browns or another org doesn't hire him, then I think we are stuck with him for 2020. I don't hate Daboll but he needs to adjust his philosophy and understand how to better play to Josh's and the team's strength. Which he has shown he can do but didn't for a lot of the time. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, Nihilarian said:

Well, the owner in Indy does have a history and perhaps he knew something about Andrew Luck going forward.

 

To me, Cleveland remains about the most dysfunction organization in the league with no end in sight for those poor fans. 

 

Washington is a close second and now Carolina is closing that gap with new owner Tepper. 

 

how could you leave out Jerry?   the NY Giants should also be in your list 

 

The new owner in Carolina should get a  mulligan for a bit 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dpberr said:

 

That last sentence was writing gold.  I read it in Nick Offerman voice.  


Sounds like he hates the BS car buying process.  Good for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...