Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Next you'll be yelling "All you Kids Get Off My Lawn"

The modern standard of suit for the well-dressed Gent features an open dress shirt or even a turtleneck.

The neck noose is passe'

As Norman Bates once said: "Conservative clothes never go out of style."

;)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Isn’t that how Pettine got the job? 

basically yes, everyone else turned the job down

Chan Gailey also fits into this category, only perhaps worse. 

In the 2010 off season Buddy Nix was hired as GM. Russ Brandon let it slip to the media that the Bills were willing to pay their next head coach 10 million per. This got the Bills interviews with both Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan. Even though Shanny had already agreed to a contract with the Redskins he wanted to listen to what Buffalo offered.

Naturally after the Interviews that amount of money was never offered to anyone. Once that word got out most everyone who had asked for an interview were no longer interested in the job. Even assistant coaches that were called were now declining interviews. 

Buddy Nix wanted to hire Marty Schottenheimer and Ralph Wilson said no. In all probability because he wouldn't be a puppet figure as HC and wouldn't let Wilson micromanage him like he did with others recently. It was known that Dick Jauron was on the phone to Detroit daily during the season.

After this Buddy Nix was getting desperate to find someone. Bill Cowher had stated in his interview that he would hire Gailey as his OC. At that time Gailey was out of the NFL as he was fired from the Chiefs as their OC two years previous. So, the Bills hire Gailey and promote him to head coach.

Talk about a reach,  in his 3 seasons in Buffalo as HC he never got better then 6-10. Some bills fans still love the guy...dunno why either. He had his choice between Fitz, Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm and chose Edwards. Gailey was lucky that Fitz was even on the roster or the team would have been worse than 6-10, much worse! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

I'd like to see Dabol stay and maintain continuity.  If he does go, I'd be curious to see if Dorsey's ready.  Bring Anderson back as QB coach if he's interested.

If not, who are legitimate OC candidates?

Shurmur, Hue, Kitchens (ducks for cover) 

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

So, if Daboll gets the Browns job, who do you think McD would hire as next OC?  The Dallas OC who just got fired would interest me.  Had the top offense in the league.

Kellen Moore? God, no. That would be horrible. I'd rather keep Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

So, if Daboll gets the Browns job, who do you think McD would hire as next OC?  The Dallas OC who just got fired would interest me.  Had the top offense in the league.

He had one of the top O-lines, QBs, RB, and WR...is what he had.

• Like (+1) 1

I think I'm to the point of rooting for this, despite the continuity disruption. Maybe he's been good for Josh, but it can also be argued that his gameday decisions have been a detriment. The offense is overly complex, based on statements from a few players, and I believe that is part of the execution issues (kind of like Roman's overprepping in his second year). Continuity that would remain intact includes Ken Dorsey, Jordan Palmer in the offseason, and a significant chunk of our offensive personnel. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think I'm to the point of rooting for this, despite the continuity disruption. Maybe he's been good for Josh, but it can also be argued that his gameday decisions have been a detriment. The offense is overly complex, based on statements from a few players, and I believe that is part of the execution issues (kind of like Roman's overprepping in his second year). Continuity that would remain intact includes Ken Dorsey, Jordan Palmer in the offseason, and a significant chunk of our offensive personnel. 

What do we know about Ken Dorsey's background? 

IF Daboll is hired, could Dorsey step up and then backfill with a new QB coach?

I realize I'm getting ahead of us here.  Obviously a lot of the guys in the locker room think very highly of Daboll, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way to do "more with less" and that part of that is on personnel decisions, play calling, and overall play design.

The Dolphins are trying to move in the direction of a simplified offense with similar terminology and concepts by moving on from Chad O'Shea.  O'Shea has a similar background in some ways to Brian Daboll: he spent 10 years as the Patriots WR coach before being tapped by former Patriots assistant Flores as his OC.

In a lot of ways early on, I saw echoes of Daboll in the Miami Offense.  It was said to be quite complex with Fitzpatrick needing to tell guys where to line up and what to do, and with Rosen floundering to master it.  I think O'Shea might be a guy who, like Daboll, is thoroughly inculcated in the Belicheck "give everything you have to preparation" trees without understanding the forest of "put your best strengths against their weaknesses" and tailoring to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.  Gailey also runs an E-P offense, but showed with Fitz and the Goonies and then with the Jets that he could do "more with less" and that he could simplify and streamline and then build complexity slowly.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IF Daboll is hired, could Dorsey step up and then backfill with a new QB coach?

I realize I'm getting ahead of us here.  Obviously a lot of the guys in the locker room think very highly of Daboll, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way to do "more with less" and that part of that is on personnel decisions, play calling, and overall play design.

The Dolphins are trying to move in the direction of a simplified offense with similar terminology and concepts by moving on from Chad O'Shea.  O'Shea has a similar background in some ways to Brian Daboll: he spent 10 years as the Patriots WR coach before being tapped by former Patriots assistant Flores as his OC.

In a lot of ways early on, I saw echoes of Daboll in the Miami Offense.  It was said to be quite complex with Fitzpatrick needing to tell guys where to line up and what to do, and with Rosen floundering to master it.  I think O'Shea might be a guy who, like Daboll, is thoroughly inculcated in the Belicheck "give everything you have to preparation" trees without understanding the forest of "put your best strengths against their weaknesses" and tailoring to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.  Gailey also runs an E-P offense, but showed with Fitz and the Goonies and then with the Jets that he could do "more with less" and that he could simplify and streamline and then build complexity slowly.

An educated guess on what could happen if Dabes gets a HC gig: Dorsey promoted to OC with Derek Anderson getting added to the staff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was a QB from 2003-2008. Scout for Carolina from 2011-2012, then became QB coach from 2013-2017. I don't know anything about his offensive philosophy, but I'd say he's probably as qualified as Kellen Moore was (not saying that's how he'd turn out, of course). I think I'd prefer that he stay at QB coach, but I wouldn't be overly ruffled if he got the nod. Assuming the vacancy presents itself.