Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, london_bills said:

And then duke williams drops a few balls in the game reminding us why he isn't that good. I wouldnt be suprised if Allen wanted duke in the line up. There are alot of things that happen, conversations that are had that we don't see. The credit for allen statistically improving from year one to year 2 does not just go to Josh Allen. It goes to the OC aswell. 

Also this is when the head coach steps in and reminds the OC of what he would like to see. If Daboll needs some assistance to not continue making some mistakes this when the CEO steps in. Mcdermott is a defensive coach but understands elements of offence due to playing offences. 

McD only knows conservative offense apparently.   We need a new OC.  And yeah,  Duke dropped balls, but Allen also threw 2 pick-6's that were dropped.  Why he is having a QB who is clearly rattled making throws to the outside like that is beyond me.   It's like Daboll ignores what is happening in the game and goes with pre-scripted play calling.  

• Like (+1) 1

There's an argument for not changing anything. Bringing in a new backup QB like fitz and better offensive talent, WR, Oline, RB. 

Draft all offense and a punter. 

Defence in free agency. 

See if washington would accept a low draft pick for peterson on a year deal to replace gore. 

Flipside is someone like shurmer has been a headcoach, could help mcdermott 

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He schemed McKenzie open for what would’ve been a 70 yard TD pass on 3rd and 3 in the second quarter, but Allen threw it at his feet from five yards away and McKenzie fell while catching it.  There is a lot to like.

I'm trying to figure out which play to McKenzie you believe fits this description.  McKenzie had 4 receptions.  The first was a jet sweep.   The second was a short checkdown for 4 yds.  The third was a successful 3rd and 9 conversion across the middle where protection broke down completely, Allen escaped from the pocket pursued hotly by 3 defenders, and led McKenzie for a pass that yes, was low, but no where close to at his feet and he could have adjusted by coming towards it.  McKenzie was also being pursued by 2 LB and if they miss, there were players downfield whom our WR might or might not have blocked successfully.  The 4th was another jet sweep.

Honest to God, Narrative, Peoples

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

McD only knows conservative offense apparently.   We need a new OC.  And yeah,  Duke dropped balls, but Allen also threw 2 pick-6's that were dropped.  Why he is having a QB who is clearly rattled making throws to the outside like that is beyond me.   It's like Daboll ignores what is happening in the game and goes with pre-scripted play calling.  

I know what you mean about ignoring the flow of the game. Also a problem about daboll being in the booth is that he can't get a sense of allen through the game in the same way. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm trying to figure out which play to McKenzie you believe fits this description.  McKenzie had 4 receptions.  The first was a jet sweep.   The second was a short checkdown for 4 yds.  The third was a successful 3rd and 9 conversion across the middle where protection broke down completely, Allen escaped from the pocket pursued hotly by 3 defenders, and led McKenzie for a pass that yes, was low, but no where close to at his feet and he could have adjusted by coming towards it.  McKenzie was also being pursued by 2 LB and if they miss, there were players downfield whom our WR might or might not have blocked successfully.  The 4th was another jet sweep.

Honest to God, Narrative, Peoples

Second play I believe.  I’m expecting the All-22 to confirm what I saw.  3rd and 3.  Allen rolled out and hit McKenzie low and he fell while catching him.  As best I could see, if Allen makes that throw (a simple one) there is 70 yards of daylight in front and it’s the biggest play of the year.

EDIT might've been the 3rd and 9 play.  Would really love to see the video of that.  An accurate pass would've gone the distance from what I could tell.  My point is that there are options on most passing plays and given the state of the Bills' receiving corps, that's impressive and a feather in Daboll's cap.  I'd be careful about moving on from him but if their hand is forced, there are some good options out there (Shurmur).

Edited by Coach Tuesday

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Second play I believe.  I’m expecting the All-22 to confirm what I saw.  3rd and 3.  Allen rolled out and hit McKenzie low and he fell while catching him.  As best I could see, if Allen makes that throw (a simple one) there is 70 yards of daylight in front and it’s the biggest play of the year.

I'm not, since I looked at all-22 and did not see what you saw.  There was no pass to McKenzie on 3rd and 3.  1st and 10, 1st and 10, 3rd and 9, 1st and 10.

Here's the 2nd play, which was kind of a fake Jet sweep/RPO kind of thing on 1st and 10.  You can see the ball hits McKenzie in the hands at the numbers, but no way is he open for a 70 yd TD.

image.thumb.png.7cbf8cb26e6510ceead4c9c6c504bc52.pngimage.thumb.png.d8fd72972d7f70446ffbbc7c082d51fc.png

Bonus 3rd and 9 pass for successful 3rd down conversion.  Allen threw at a dead run, evading 3 defenders.  The pass was slightly low and slightly too far in front (looks to me like McKenzie slowed up and/or Allen led him more than McKenzie expected) but that's a huge stretch to call it 1) at his feet 2) 70 yards of daylight for a sure TD.  That's McKenzie at the 35 with 2 guys after him.  Count the guys on that side of the field McKenzie would have to beat.  It was decent execution that successfully converted a 3rd and long.

image.thumb.png.7e2419d434c3b4ea26fe9a7d30f9435f.pngimage.thumb.png.6b3563edd66d4f185dd2617bd307c443.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bonus 3rd and 9 pass for successful 3rd down conversion.  Allen threw at a dead run, evading 3 defenders.  The pass was slightly low and slightly too far in front (looks to me like McKenzie slowed up and/or Allen led him more than McKenzie expected) but that's a huge stretch to call it 1) at his feet 2) 70 yards of daylight for a sure TD.  That's McKenzie at the 35 with 2 guys after him.  Count the guys on that side of the field McKenzie would have to beat.

image.thumb.png.7e2419d434c3b4ea26fe9a7d30f9435f.pngimage.thumb.png.6b3563edd66d4f185dd2617bd307c443.png

Yes!!! That's the one.  McKenzie would've smoked those two LBs, zero question.  They're trailing him and he's way faster.  The only threat is the CB and a decent block by the other WR takes him out of the play.  The throw needs to hit him in the chest and it's an easy one at that.   That play was Game Over if Allen hits it.  OMG I can't stop looking at it.  I was right, look at all of that daylight.  Unreal.  Brutal.

EDOT: I guess the safety is down there too, now that I look closer - but it's at least a huge gain and very possibly a score.  My point was Daboll's schemes are better than he gets credit for, given the talent he's working with.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

22 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

It almost felt like someone was trying to throw the game so he could concentrate on HC opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes!!! That's the one.  McKenzie would've smoked those two LBs, zero question.  The only threat is the CB and a decent block by the other WR takes him out of the play.  The throw needs to hit him in the chest and it's an easy one at that.   That play was Game Over if Allen hits it.

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Really??  Look at that first shot you posted (and thank you btw).  There is no way McK is going to be caught from behind.  He's got a corner to worry about off to the right, but a decent block by the WR deals with him.  It looks like the FS is way downfield and potentially could stop him, but he'd have to take the exact right angle and it's by no means an easy tackle in open field given McK's speed - and even then it would've been a monster gain.  You really don't see it that way??

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Here’s the way I see it. Do you think Daboll is the guy to get the most out of Allen and this offense? If not then you have to move on. If he sticks around for the sake of continuity and we get another year of having a mediocre offense then we’re left wondering if Allen is as good as we think he is and if we want to commit to him long term.

Next season should be our year to go all in.  He have lots of money and only a few free agents.  Our stars aren’t getting paid yet.  Once they do, everything changes. We have lots of cap room, but we also have lots of y guys that need raises. We need to go for it all next year imo.  What’s best for this team next season, continuity or having to learn a brand new system?  Idk.  As much as I’d like to see a new system, I’d also like to see Dabolls system a 3rd year with better playmakers and OL.  I wouldn’t want to miss out on our go for the fences season because we couldn’t get the new offense down in its first season

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Here’s the way I see it. Do you think Daboll is the guy to get the most out of Allen and this offense? If not then you have to move on. If he sticks around for the sake of continuity and we get another year of having a mediocre offense then we’re left wondering if Allen is as good as we think he is and if we want to commit to him long term.

Like I Say, Daboll going answers the Allen question faster. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Yes, I do think daboll will get the most out of Allen next season. I think we have a new offensive line and need to add some pieces with the wide receivers. I fully expect knox and croft to be better next year also. I think daboll or not next season, we'll see an improved offense 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Like I Say, Daboll going answers the Allen question faster. 

I was thinking about this just last night.  

I am not a Daboll hater at all and don't think he's the problem; Allen is the problem.

But if it would help us move on from Allen faster to see that he is the same under a new/different OC, then by all means, sacrifice Daboll to the football gods and get him out of here.

As I said, I am not a Daboll hater, but he is completely replaceable, as is McDermott as a HC.

No harm in letting Daboll go.  

John Clayton has now said twice during his segments with Schopp & Bulldog (for what this is worth) that he expects Daboll to be viewed favorably around the league and get 2 or 3 HC interviews.

Bills fans don't realize how bad Allen is or how poorly he is perceived around the league.  The CW on him is that he is a massive project and that Daboll has worked wonders to get him operating at the level he's at now.

I think he will be viewed as a strong contender for a HC job, even though the majority of the fanbase here thinks he is terrible.

Good luck to him!  Let's hope he gets one of these gigs! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I am not a Daboll hater at all and don't think he's the problem; Allen is the problem.

But if it would help us move on from Allen faster to see that he is the same under a new/different OC, then by all means, sacrifice Daboll to the football gods and get him out of here.

As I said, I am not a Daboll hater, but he is completely replaceable, as is McDermott as a HC.

John Clayton has now said twice during his segments with Schopp & Bulldog (for what this is worth) that he expects Daboll to be viewed favorably around the league and get 2 or 3 HC interviews.

Bills fans don't realize how bad Allen is or how poorly he is perceived around the league.  The CW on him is that he is a massive project and that Daboll has worked wonders to get him operating at the level he's at now.

I think he will be viewed as a strong contender for a HC job, even though the majority of the fanbase here thinks he is terrible.

please...tell us more!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Uh. Why must you post this crap all the time? It hurts my brain.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1