Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I understand. 

I'm just playing devil's advocate really. If I was Daboll in McDermott's office I would be saying look at the statistical improvement in Allen under me as OC year one to year 2.

I think Daboll is a lot like Allen. He has talent; his play design is often creative and effective. He doesn’t quite seem to feel the game yet, and as a result he loses focus and can’t string 4 solid quarters together. An increase in talent among pass catchers and RBs will probably make him look a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My biggest issue with Brian Daboll is this:  in the biggest sports moment of his life, as the game was collapsing around him on the national stage, Josh Allen was sitting on the bench by himself looking completely bewildered and lost.  He may have been concussed (that's my theory).  He had been making horrible decisions from mid-Q3 onward and clearly needed to reset.  Where was his OC?  Up in the booth.  Now, that by itself isn't the worst thing, but you could tell by the playcalling (lots of spread formation) that Daboll was totally out of sync with his young QB protege, and didn't seem to have any awareness of that which was plain to see for the rest of us: the kid was having a meltdown and needed to be talked off the ledge.  Yet he was completely abandoned (by the way, where the hell was McDermott?  Clapping like a slack-jaw and looking equally bewildered, but that's a separate issue).

Now Dabs is going to sell himself to another team with a young QB, one with serious emotional issues, as some sort of QB guru?  Please.  The most important thing for a HC is to have a feel not only for the game, but the key players in it - in real time, while the live ammo is flying at you.  You can't coach a team on Tuesdays, only (hence my screen name).  Brian Daboll is a Coach Tuesday.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Pat is also part of the Andy Reid coaching tree and was in Philly with McD from 1999-2008

He would be a tremendous hire - he understands how to design AND CALL plays.  Would be serious luck if the Browns are dumb enough to make Daboll a head coach.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My biggest issue with Brian Daboll is this:  in the biggest sports moment of his life, as the game was collapsing around him on the national stage, Josh Allen was sitting on the bench by himself looking completely bewildered and lost.  He may have been concussed (that's my theory).  He had been making horrible decisions from mid-Q3 onward and clearly needed to reset.  Where was his OC?  Up in the booth.  Now, that by itself isn't the worst thing, but you could tell by the playcalling (lots of spread formation) that Daboll was totally out of sync with his young QB protege, and didn't seem to have any awareness of that which was plain to see for the rest of us: the kid was having a meltdown and needed to be talked off the ledge.

Now he's going to sell himself to another team with a young QB as some sort of guru?  Please.  The most important thing for a HC is to have a feel not only for the game, but the key players in it - in real time, while the live ammo is flying at you.  You can't coach a team on Tuesdays, only (hence my screen name).  Brian Daboll is a Coach Tuesday.

This has been my major problem with him all year too. When josh is in a “bad Josh” funk, he needs to do some different things to get him re-set and making positive / easy plays again. I like the not treating him with total kid gloves, but there needs to be some kind of better balance. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Reading some comments on Twitter and browns fans not happy about this at all. Some saying it'd be like hiring kitchens a second time. Seems that alot of Browns fans know how sketchy he was as OC at times. 

As I said upthread, they just CAN'T sell Daboll to their fanbase - he even looks like Freddie Kitchens' long-lost twin brother.  They're almost the same person.

• Like (+1) 1

The offense is trending upwards.  Allen will get better.  Daboll has to get better.  There will be an upgrade of talent on the offense next year.  Not to mention that the offense hopefully will have another year of experience together.  I think what people have to remember is that the Bills had 9 new starting players on offense, and the two other players are second year players in Allen and Dawkins.  Let that sink in for a moment........

With that said, there is nothing out there that tells me that Allen won't continue to get better, his field vision has markedly improved.   Daboll, as some other posters have mentioned, his scheming is top notch, which is a big reason why I like him.    But his play calling at times is befuddling to say the least.   He himself needs to have a review of his play calling this past year and work on it.  He has to get better with his play calling.

Also, if we are going to run some plays with a full back, then they really should consider getting themselves a mobile pass catching one, Daboll likes to get his FB out on pass patterns and Demarco is not a mobile receiver.

On an encouraging note, Motor is looking like a big time RB, he has shown that he can break tackles and catch the ball.   Bills should exploit that next year and he should be a minimum 60 reception guy this coming year.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Nor do I think McDermott has the balls to fire Daboll at this stage of their tenure here.

I honestly don't think they should fire daboll. I think he's bad at times, but also good for Allen's growth. I'm fine with daboll being here one more season with some better weapons, and then evaluating him after next season 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I honestly don't think they should fire daboll. I think he's bad at times, but also good for Allen's growth. I'm fine with daboll being here one more season with some better weapons, and then evaluating him after next season 

Here’s the way I see it. Do you think Daboll is the guy to get the most out of Allen and this offense? If not then you have to move on. If he sticks around for the sake of continuity and we get another year of having a mediocre offense then we’re left wondering if Allen is as good as we think he is and if we want to commit to him long term.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Here’s the way I see it. Do you think Daboll is the guy to get the most out of Allen and this offense? If not then you have to move on. If he sticks around for the sake of continuity and we get another year of having a mediocre offense then we’re left wondering if Allen is as good as we think he is and if we want to commit to him long term.

I don't know about "the most" but you have to weigh the cost of putting Allen in a brand-new offense at this point.  I'm not sure it's worth the risk of trying to go from a B to a B+ or A.  But if the decision gets made for them, I'd be fine with it.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know about "the most" but you have to weigh the cost of putting Allen in a brand-new offense at this point.  I'm not sure it's worth the risk of trying to go from a B to a B+ or A.  But if the decision gets made for them, I'd be fine with it.

Please put him in another offense, this offense is terrible.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see him seemingly pay absolutely no attention to what I see as a cardinal principle of offensive play calling: put your best players in the best position to exploit the opponents' weakness, which is why we wind up with Dimarco and Smith out wide or with Knox blocking Judon, or with slow developing routes against a blitz-heavy defensive attack.

He's all about exploiting the opponent's weakness, and he does take them at fault and exploit them at times, but he seems to regard every guy on the roster as an FRU (field replaceable unit) who can do just as much as everyone else.  I don't feel he puts Allen into positions to succeed: he seems to put him in positions that activate his "Hero Ball" tendencies.

And he doesn't seem to call games that make sense.  It's like he can design a beautifully crafted set of puzzle pieces and can't figure out how to put them together in a way that works.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about football to articulate what I see in technical terms.

You just said exactly what I was thinking all year and culminated on that pass to Dimarco on Sat.  Throw in the final "Gore Up the Middle" and I can't take anymore.

Its is baffling to me that anyone, let alone an NFL level coordinator would think this would be successful, over...and over.

Well said, Thank you:beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My biggest issue with Brian Daboll is this:  in the biggest sports moment of his life, as the game was collapsing around him on the national stage, Josh Allen was sitting on the bench by himself looking completely bewildered and lost.  He may have been concussed (that's my theory).  He had been making horrible decisions from mid-Q3 onward and clearly needed to reset.  Where was his OC?  Up in the booth.  Now, that by itself isn't the worst thing, but you could tell by the playcalling (lots of spread formation) that Daboll was totally out of sync with his young QB protege, and didn't seem to have any awareness of that which was plain to see for the rest of us: the kid was having a meltdown and needed to be talked off the ledge.  Yet he was completely abandoned (by the way, where the hell was McDermott?  Clapping like a slack-jaw and looking equally bewildered, but that's a separate issue).

Now Dabs is going to sell himself to another team with a young QB, one with serious emotional issues, as some sort of QB guru?  Please.  The most important thing for a HC is to have a feel not only for the game, but the key players in it - in real time, while the live ammo is flying at you.  You can't coach a team on Tuesdays, only (hence my screen name).  Brian Daboll is a Coach Tuesday.

The Bills do have a QB coach and a backup QB, where were they?

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Please put him in another offense, this offense is terrible.

He schemed McKenzie open for what would’ve been a 70 yard TD pass on 3rd and 3 in the second quarter, but Allen threw it at his feet from five yards away and McKenzie fell while catching it.  There is a lot to like.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills do have a QB coach and a backup QB, where were they?

Let me know if you find out.  I have no idea.  It was insane.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

52 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I am addressing the 'Allen needs better weapons, Daboll should go narrative.'

Allen is here to stay and will be given more weapons next season. Although Allen has missed some things on the field, the concensus is that the talent around him is not great. WR recievers drops, o line mistakes etc. A stud WR and a better o line will put into place for Allen to succeed. 

This lack of talent has effected Daboll also. Why is dabolls effeciency not going to improve if given another season with better talent?

because Daboll cannot judge talent.  Using Gore last game, not activating Yeldon or Duke until the playoffs.  

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

He schemed McKenzie open for what would’ve been a 70 yard TD pass on 3rd and 3 in the second quarter, but Allen threw it at his feet from five yards away and McKenzie fell while catching it.  There is a lot to like.

Let me know if you find out.  I have no idea.  It was insane.

this happened far too often against Houston (ball at feet).   Do they practice these plays?  Or is Daboll just pulling them out on gameday?  

And knowing it's Allen's first playoff game, perhaps running motor there is the better call?  

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

because Daboll cannot judge talent.  Using Gore last game, not activating Yeldon or Duke until the playoffs.  

this happened far too often against Houston (ball at feet).   Do they practice these plays?  Or is Daboll just pulling them out on gameday?  

And knowing it's Allen's first playoff game, perhaps running motor there is the better call?  

And then duke williams drops a few balls in the game reminding us why he isn't that good. I wouldnt be suprised if Allen wanted duke in the line up. There are alot of things that happen, conversations that are had that we don't see. The credit for allen statistically improving from year one to year 2 does not just go to Josh Allen. It goes to the OC aswell. 

Also this is when the head coach steps in and reminds the OC of what he would like to see. If Daboll needs some assistance to not continue making some mistakes this when the CEO steps in. Mcdermott is a defensive coach but understands elements of offence due to playing offences. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know how I feel.  But if he stays, he's got to evolve or we're toast.

Explain to me the Jim-Bob Cooter attraction because I'm not feeling it.  RB coach for the Jets this year who got a career low Y/A out of Bell and masterminded a bottom-of-the-league (bottom third at best) rush game and ran a very pass-heavy offense while in Detroit.

This guy has been around forever.  The Bills shouldn't have to pay for their OC's "evolution".

This is as good as Daboll gets.  That's the sum total of all his years of experience, including with the best college dynasty in years and the best NFL dynasty, plus 2 seasons with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1