NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

17 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Clearly the first step the Browns need to take, is to visit Two Bills Drive and find out what a random bunch of Bills fans think they should do.  Once they get that insight, things should flow smoothly from there. 

Where I find offence is in the word “random”. We are the most educated and experienced group of fans known to the internet. So far from “random”.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Clearly the first step the Browns need to take, is to visit Two Bills Drive and find out what a random bunch of Bills fans think they should do.  Once they get that insight, things should flow smoothly from there. 

Could it really be worse than their results since the franchise returned to Cleveland? 

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I was wondering what Kevin O'Connell was up to after he got booted as the channel 2 weatherman.

45 minutes ago, wppete said:

What a disgrace that guy was. 

The franchise is still here when we could've lost it in '98 and '14.  He was at least decent at selling hope.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Whose not sooooooo glad this idiot jumped ship? Imagine where we would be if he had stayed.

I think we might have made the playoffs two years earlier although the caveat to that is I have no idea who the QB was going to be. But he had that team bought in, playing hard and competing every week. And there was talent there. Rex on the other hand was a clown show. But McDermott is the right guy for this team and maybe if Doug stayed he never arrives and well.... I'm not a big believer in fate but who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we might have made the playoffs two years earlier although the caveat to that is I have no idea who the QB was going to be. But he had that team bought in, playing hard and competing every week. And there was talent there. Rex on the other hand was a clown show. But McDermott is the right guy for this team and maybe if Doug stayed he never arrives and well.... I'm not a big believer in fate but who knows?

Marrone's offense was atrocious, he wanted all the power and was constantly getting into beefs.  Rex was a bad choice but Marrone was going nowhere which is exactly where he is going in Jax.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Marrone's offense was atrocious, he wanted all the power and was constantly getting into beefs.  Rex was a bad choice but Marrone was going nowhere which is exactly where he is going in Jax.

But he did go to an AFCCG. Marrone is an arse and we are better off without him. But do I think he'd have done a better job in 2015 and 2016 than Rex Ryan? 100% without any single doubt. And that 2015 roster was properly talented and held back by atrocious coaching.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But he did go to an AFCCG. Marrone is an arse and we are better off without him. But do I think he'd have done a better job in 2015 and 2016 than Rex Ryan? 100% without any single doubt. And that 2015 roster was properly talented and held back by atrocious coaching.

I'm not saying Rex did a better job than anyone else could have done.  He tore down what what a terrific defense.  The offense did improve a bit.

I'm saying Marrone was done here.  There were many bridges burned and he was past his peak.  He made a power play and lost.  I agree we made a mistake hiring Rex, although I admit at the time I liked it, but Marrone staying would have been bad too.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm not saying Rex did a better job than anyone else could have done.  He tore down what what a terrific defense.  The offense did improve a bit.

I'm saying Marrone was done here.  There were many bridges burned and he was past his peak.  He made a power play and lost.  I agree we made a mistake hiring Rex, although I admit at the time I liked it, but Marrone staying would have been bad too.

Ultimately we will never know. But I think Marrone would have done okay for a couple more years. Certainly better than Rex did and that 2015 team had playoff level talent. I knew Rex was a mistake the moment we hired him. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Ultimately we will never know. But I think Marrone would have done okay for a couple more years. Certainly better than Rex did and that 2015 team had playoff level talent. I knew Rex was a mistake the moment we hired him. 

And that was confirmed to all when he proudly showed up sporting his specially painted truck in The Bills colors... with the logo facing BACKWARDS!

buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-truck.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A scout becoming a GM?  Hmmm....what could go wrong?

Yep Whaley was a mistake , he  worked for the Steelers as a pro personnel coordinator. I want the best college scout in the NFL. To pry him away from another team takes a job advancement and  big pay raise. Then have a real executive actually have the duties of GM.    jmo

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yep Whaley was a mistake , he  worked for the Steelers as a pro personnel coordinator. I want the best college scout in the NFL. To pry him away from another team takes a job advancement and  big pay raise. Then have a real executive actually have the duties of GM.    jmo

Teams are not required to release a scout for an interview if he does not have actual personnel control. You can't just hire a scout away from another team by giving him the GM title and then get someone else to do the job. 

21 minutes ago, ALF said:

It was a mistake repeated twice in a row by the Bills

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have always thought that the Marrone/Whaley Bills were a QB away from being a powerhouse. 

• Like (+1) 1