NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Doesn’t he have all kinds of health issues? 
Seems he establishes a program, then gets super sick when times get rough and has to step away. Or maybe I’m thinking of someone else 

He has a brain cyst. I’m not sure if he ever coaches again, he may. But the browns or any team being interested in him isn’t news. Wake me up when it’s reported that he actually has interest in any of these opportunities. The only reason I saw this particular report as noteworthy is that he works with Feldman at Fox.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But he did go to an AFCCG. Marrone is an arse and we are better off without him. But do I think he'd have done a better job in 2015 and 2016 than Rex Ryan? 100% without any single doubt. And that 2015 roster was properly talented and held back by atrocious coaching.

The Jim Schwartz defense with the Greg Roman offense would have been a playoff team for sure.  The offense got much better and the defense worse with the hire of Rex. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ultimately we will never know. But I think Marrone would have done okay for a couple more years. Certainly better than Rex did and that 2015 team had playoff level talent. I knew Rex was a mistake the moment we hired him. 

Marrone inherited an elite defense in Jacksonville. That's why he went to the playoffs with them.

The real leader of that Bills team was Schwartz. Marrone was useless.

He's an offensive coach with terrible offenses all the time. Not sure why anyone would think things would be different if Marrone stayed here.

BTW, Rex went 15-16 as a head coach here. Marrone went 15-17. Both were mediocre. Rex gets blasted for ruining the defense, but Marrone deserves just as much criticism for having a sucky offense and especially a sucky offensive line, two things that are supposed to be his forte.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Marrone inherited an elite defense in Jacksonville. That's why he went to the playoffs with them.

The real leader of that Bills team was Schwartz. Marrone was useless.

He's an offensive coach with terrible offenses all the time. Not sure why anyone would think things would be different if Marrone stayed here.

BTW, Rex went 15-16 as a head coach here. Marrone went 15-17. Both were mediocre. Rex gets blasted for ruining the defense, but Marrone deserves just as much criticism for having a sucky offense and especially a sucky offensive line, two things that are supposed to be his forte.

Rex went 15-16 with much more talented teams. And yes, Schwartz deserves some of the credit but had Marrone stayed then Schwartz would have stayed. And Rex inherited an elite defense here. He didn't go to the playoffs despite adding an excellent OC, a passable QB and a likely HoF running back. Marrone would have done better with that team than Rex. And that likely would have squeezed us in for 2015. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex went 15-16 with much more talented teams. And yes, Schwartz deserves some of the credit but had Marrone stayed then Schwartz would have stayed. And Rex inherited an elite defense here. He didn't go to the playoffs despite adding an excellent OC, a passable QB and a likely HoF running back. Marrone would have done better with that team than Rex. And that likely would have squeezed us in for 2015. 

Marrone would not have built that team. He would have continued the mediocrity.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have always thought that the Marrone/Whaley Bills were a QB away from being a powerhouse. 

Maybe if Coach Marrone had dumped Hackett Jr AND gotten a better QB.

The team is pretty much a mirror image of the current team.  Lights out D and putrid O.

Just an average O and we are seriously in the SB discussion.

Should offense really be this hard when you have a franchise QB and decent talent around him?

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe if Coach Marrone had dumped Hackett Jr AND gotten a better QB.

The team is pretty much a mirror image of the current team.  Lights out D and putrid O.

Just an average O and we are seriously in the SB discussion.

Should offense really be this hard when you have a franchise QB and decent talent around him?

Whaley's inability to get a QB is what did him in.  I never had a problem with Hackett, to be honest.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have always thought that the Marrone/Whaley Bills were a QB away from being a powerhouse. 

QB, oline, RB, and ... coach. Plus no good #1 WR. Watkins hasn't ever performed at a #1 level. Oh and no good TE.

The oline was terrible under Marrone. Fred Jackson was on his last legs. And Marrone is just not a winning coach no matter how you slice it. Lots of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons with a few 6-10 seasons sprinkled in is how that would have continued.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

That would be great, to see Lamar Mania come crashing down.

In one fell swoop...this is how stable organizations like the Steelers come up aces even when they aren't good- their division does stupid, stupid stuff. Roman leaving Baltimore for Cleveland HC would simultaneously be bad for Browns and Ravens.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

In one fell swoop...this is how stable organizations like the Steelers come up aces even when they aren't good- their division does stupid, stupid stuff. Roman leaving Baltimore for Cleveland HC would simultaneously be bad for Browns and Ravens.

The Ravens aren't stable? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Not if they lose Roman.

a team that has the same head coach for a decade, only two gms in more than a decade becomes unstable if they lose an OC who is on about his fourth OC tour of duty.  Weird. By that definition the Steelers became unstable when Dick Labeau was released. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That would be great, to see Lamar Mania come crashing down.

I like Lamar, and I don’t want to see his star fade.

That said, I’m concerned for him if Roman goes. He runs a pretty unique scheme and it works for them. It would be unfortunate for Lamar if a new OC comes in and tries to change things too much.