NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jackson was a rookie coming off the bench.  He wasn't asked to pass much therefore

I think it is as equally as likely that we are seeing Jackson as he was in Louisville....Morrhnenwig or Roman. 

I just can't figure out what Jackson, as he is playing now, would no longer be able to do without Roman.

I guess we won't know until it happens. However, I think, with or without Roman, we are not likely to see a repeat of what Jackson did this year in terms of passing touchdown production.; which, IMHO, is the difference between having a pretty good year and having an MVP caliber year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jackson was a rookie coming off the bench.  He wasn't asked to pass much therefore

I think it is as equally as likely that we are seeing Jackson as he was in Louisville....Morrhnenwig or Roman. 

I just can't figure out what Jackson, as he is playing now, would no longer be able to do without Roman.

*See Tyrod and Kapernick dropoff when Roman left, pretty simple if you don't try to ignore it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28412867/cowboys-move-jason-garrett-source-says

Black Thursday 

Jason Garrett's time with the Dallas Cowboys is coming to an end.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that after showing an "abundance of care and respect" for Garrett, team owner/general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones have decided the coach will not be part of the organization moving forward.

According to multiple sources, the Joneses and Garrett did not have their scheduled meeting at The Star on Thursday after meeting on Monday and Tuesday without any resolution on the coach's status. Garrett's contract is set to expire on Jan. 14 and his status with the team has been uncertain since last February, when the Cowboys opted not to offer him an extension.

Image result for moon landing

• Haha (+1) 1

i think roman might be pretty epic on clevland.  i'm sure he'd have some better OL brought in (maybe trade ODB for one, i dunno) and with the backs they have, he'd be able to scheme some pretty impossible to defend stuff.

it wouldn't be what they do in baltimore, but i could see it being more pass heavy with heavy formations and just huge run production from those two backs.

the browns really do have insane skill talent.  could you imagine one of those backs on buffalo and ODB here too?  we'd prolly get an extra 70 yards and 5 points a game.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if he’d come after Dorsey 

I’d be surprised, unless Dorsey is will to put a LOT more weight on character than he ever has before. 

Rivera is just like McDermott in wanting character to be the #1 priority. He wants good, high character people, first and foremost.

19 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’d be surprised, unless Dorsey is will to put a LOT more weight on character than he ever has before. 

Rivera is just like McDermott in wanting character to be the #1 priority. He wants good, high character people, first and foremost.

Yeah Dorsey is a pretty good at scout/talent evaluation, really good at spending money, and really bad helping build culture. Just like some guys should stay as asst coaches some guys should stay in the scouting department. 

45 minutes ago, colin said:

i think roman might be pretty epic on clevland.  i'm sure he'd have some better OL brought in (maybe trade ODB for one, i dunno) and with the backs they have, he'd be able to scheme some pretty impossible to defend stuff.

it wouldn't be what they do in baltimore, but i could see it being more pass heavy with heavy formations and just huge run production from those two backs.

the browns really do have insane skill talent.  could you imagine one of those backs on buffalo and ODB here too?  we'd prolly get an extra 70 yards and 5 points a game.

Who the hell is ODB??

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

No, not really.    Tre White Deserves his earned spot.  Was it Beane who brought him in?

I'd be giddy but I know the truth of it.  It has been a popularity contest for a very long time.  When a teams gets too much publicity the lemmings join in lock step and vote for them.

It's not always about talent when a team has more than 5 players chosen. 

Sure it's a popularity contest.  But it doesn't change the obvious--the Cowboys have a lot of significant talent on that roster.   Jones is the GM.

1 hour ago, BuffaloSol said:

*See Tyrod and Kapernick dropoff when Roman left, pretty simple if you don't try to ignore it. 

In his second and final year with Roman, TT went from 380 attempts to 436 with no change in total yards--dropping his YPA to 6.9 from 8.  His passing TD total went from an anemic 20 to 17.  He was sacked 42 times from 36.  That's not a positive trajectory.  A year later, his decline continued--but it was a modest drop:17 to 14 TDs (1 less start) and 2800 vs 3029 yards.  His rushing yards remained between 425 and 580 and had 4-6-4 rushing TDs.  There's no meaning difference in those years.

TT wasn't nearly the athlete or QB JAckosn is--ever in his college or pro career.  That's the obvious fact that you try to ignore.

Kaepernick was another mediocre producer his whole career.  His best seasons mimicked Taylor's--a guy who has bounced around the league.  In his 3rd season in the NFL and under Roman, which should have been his best, he threw only 19 TDs against 10 INTs, took a whopping 52 sacks (up from 39) and had 1 rushing TD.  They lost 8 games a year after winning 12.   The went from 11th in scoring to 25th.  That's also not a positive trajectory.

He, too, is not nearly as good as Jackson.  So....maybe it's Jackson. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In his second and final year with Roman, TT went from 380 attempts to 436 with no change in total yards--dropping his YPA to 6.9 from 8.  His passing TD total went from an anemic 20 to 17.  He was sacked 42 times from 36.  That's not a positive trajectory.  A year later, his decline continued--but it was a modest drop:17 to 14 TDs (1 less start) and 2800 vs 3029 yards.  His rushing yards remained between 425 and 580 and had 4-6-4 rushing TDs.  There's no meaning difference in those years.

TT wasn't nearly the athlete or QB JAckosn is--ever in his college or pro career.  That's the obvious fact that you try to ignore.

Kaepernick was another mediocre producer his whole career.  His best seasons mimicked Taylor's--a guy who has bounced around the league.  In his 3rd season in the NFL and under Roman, which should have been his best, he threw only 19 TDs against 10 INTs, took a whopping 52 sacks (up from 39) and had 1 rushing TD.  They lost 8 games a year after winning 12.   The went from 11th in scoring to 25th.  That's also not a positive trajectory.

Nothing else changed from 15 to 16 to 17, right? Just the QB got worse.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Nothing else changed from 15 to 16 to 17, right? Just the QB got worse.

True, but The discussion is that Roman was responsible for TT and Kaepernick's displayed results and play.  The poster pointed to QB stats as proof.  I showed how that wasn't accurate.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True, but The discussion is that Roman was responsible for TT and Kaepernick's displayed results and play.  The poster pointed to QB stats as proof.  I showed how that wasn't accurate.

I think that if you look at their performance with Roman (and his system) vs with others it's safe to say he enhanced their productivity. Only person I'd have picked for TT above Roman would be Bevell. I also think Bevell would be great for Allen though 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We can go back and forth on this all day. For instance, I could say Lamar has the third ranked Oline this year (with 5 probowlers? on offense). Kap and Tyrod did not even have a top ten Oline and all but 1 season for Kap they were in the bottom half of the league. Not to mention both Kap and Tyrod were at least serviceable with Roman(kap almost won a superbowl) but, within two years of Roman leaving were no longer NFL starters.