NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Apparently Browns are trying to pry Roman away from Ravens...this would be so damn interesting I can't even

Come on. Finish your sentence. Can't even what?

4 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It is just semantics I guess but technically Garrett was not fired.  His contract expires this month so they simply will not renew. 

I wonder how often that actually happens. Usually coaches are fired mid contract. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess he did some good things with Alex Smith, But got further with Kaep obviously. 

Gore fit his scheme like a glove 

Alex Smith was pretty mobile, actually.

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It is just semantics I guess but technically Garrett was not fired.  His contract expires this month so they simply will not renew. 

Good point, and not just semantics.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28412867/cowboys-move-jason-garrett-source-says

Black Thursday 

Jason Garrett's time with the Dallas Cowboys is coming to an end.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that after showing an "abundance of care and respect" for Garrett, team owner/general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones have decided the coach will not be part of the organization moving forward.

According to multiple sources, the Joneses and Garrett did not have their scheduled meeting at The Star on Thursday after meeting on Monday and Tuesday without any resolution on the coach's status. Garrett's contract is set to expire on Jan. 14 and his status with the team has been uncertain since last February, when the Cowboys opted not to offer him an extension.

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Jerry got what he wanted.  

He dragged this out all Wild Card week to show how "important" his team is.  His team leads the news everyday.  Adds to the brand.  

If any other GM loaded up his team with that many Pro Bowlers, local fans would name their babies after him.

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah because all ,they are left with are all those Pro Bowlers and the NFL MVP.  No other OC could ever figure out how to use Jackson like only Roman could.

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If any other GM loaded up his team with that many Pro Bowlers, local fans would name their babies after him.

all I have to say is - what a crock, (since most Pro Bowl selections are a joke)

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah because all ,they are left with are all those Pro Bowlers and the NFL MVP.  No other OC could ever figure out how to use Jackson like only Roman could.

Maybe if RGIII had Roman as HC or OC...... 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pro Bowl is a joke and most real fans know this. LOL "Let's name our babies after a guy that had a lot of players win a popularity contest."

32 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

all I have to say is - what a crock, (since most Pro Bowl selections are a joke)

Maybe if RGIII had Roman as HC or OC...... 

If Beane put 15 Pro Bowlers on this roster you would canonize him.

RG3 is long recovered from his knee injury.  He is a flash in the pan.  A proper backup is all he was going to be.

I have no doubt that they can continue to design their offense around Jackson; however, don't think for a second that much of what Baltimore has done this year wasn't a product of Roman's abilities as an offensive coordinator - and Jackson having a career year in TD%, which, as I posted elsewhere isn't the first time. Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Tyrod Taylor all had their best year in TD% under Roman. I have no idea how he would be as a head coach; but, as an OC, he is extremely talented.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloSol said:

Pro Bowl is a joke and most real fans know this. LOL "Let's name our babies after a guy that had a lot of players win a popularity contest."

It's such a joke that every year on this site, thread after thread is posted about who on the Bills might make and, after they are announced, who got snubbed.

So you have concluded that the Cowboys do NOT have a roster loaded with talent--particularly on Offense? 

Yeah it is really easy for others to do it, Mornhinweg really did well last year with Lamar, Kapernick did great when Roman left, & Tyrod didn't regress at all when he left..... Oh wait?

1 minute ago, BuffaloSol said:

Yeah it is really easy for others to do it, Mornhinweg really did well last year with Lamar, Kapernick did great when Roman left, & Tyrod didn't regress at all when he left..... Oh wait?

So you are saying that Roman's playcalling for Jackson is so mysterious and so complex that no other OC could copy the same scheme in Baltimore?

The combo of Mornhinweg and Jackson went 6-1 last year (after a 4-5 start with Flacco).   That includes nearly 700 yards rushing and 5 rushing TDs.

17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I like Lamar, and I don’t want to see his star fade.

That said, I’m concerned for him if Roman goes. He runs a pretty unique scheme and it works for them. It would be unfortunate for Lamar if a new OC comes in and tries to change things too much.

I think Lamar is very talented and fortunate to have Roman as his OC. He truly is having an MVP caliber year - and one he is not likely to reproduce with or without Roman. However, I think he is better with Roma than without him.

I have always been a fan of Roman and, to be honest, I would be interested to see what he could to as a head coach. If he ever gets his chance, and is successful, I prefer it be with a team other than the Browns.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

So you are saying that Roman's playcalling for Jackson is so mysterious and so complex that no other OC could copy the same scheme in Baltimore?

The combo of Mornhinweg and Jackson went 6-1 last year (after a 4-5 start with Flacco).   That includes nearly 700 yards rushing and 5 rushing TDs.

Record aside, what Mornhinweg did with Jackson doesn't come close to what Roman has done with Jackson. It is not only a design to maximize his running skills - he is a much better passer under Roman's schemes. Jackson and the Ravens can be successful under another OC; however, I don't think anyone would get the most out Jackson's unique set of skills more than Roman.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Record aside, what Mornhinweg did with Jackson doesn't come close to what Roman has done with Jackson. It is not only a design to maximize his running skills - he is a much better passer under Roman's schemes. Jackson and the Ravens can be successful under another OC; however, I don't think anyone would get the most out Jackson's unique set of skills more than Roman.

Jackson was a rookie coming off the bench.  He wasn't asked to pass much therefore

I think it is as equally as likely that we are seeing Jackson as he was in Louisville....Morrhnenwig or Roman. 

I just can't figure out what Jackson, as he is playing now, would no longer be able to do without Roman.

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If Beane put 15 Pro Bowlers on this roster you would canonize him.

RG3 is long recovered from his knee injury.  He is a flash in the pan.  A proper backup is all he was going to be.

No, not really.    Tre White Deserves his earned spot.  Was it Beane who brought him in?

I'd be giddy but I know the truth of it.  It has been a popularity contest for a very long time.  When a teams gets too much publicity the lemmings join in lock step and vote for them.

It's not always about talent when a team has more than 5 players chosen. 

• Like (+1) 2