Marc Miller (Dallas is Going Down) trying to cash in on the Bills

6 hours ago, The Senator said:

There is likely some very fine print on the back of turdhead's Bills ticket that indemnifies the organization, the NFL, the networks, and any other stakeholders from situations like this, just as there is on a hockey or baseball ticket if you should get hit by a puck or a baseball.

Just FYI: Plenty of people have sued after being hit by a puck, a ball (or bat) at hockey/baseball games and WON their lawsuits.....what it said on the back of the ticket meant ZERO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Marc Miller (Dallas is Going Down) trying to cash in on the Bills
12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually Marc Miller lost my respect when he said he didn't go to Bills games any more because the "atmosphere is too rowdy".

What a ***** jackass to say that after what he is known for.?

The dude clearly hasn't been to a Bills game in a long time if he thinks that.

Back in the 90's it was a free-for-all.    It's romper room in there now and in the tailgate scene in general.

The little bit of table crashing gets a ton of pub but it's downright cordial in the lot's nowadays and if you are there you know it.

Unfortunately the hero Marc is kind of a poser as a Bills fan..........resting comfortably on his couch a half hour away from the stadium when the team isn't going to SB's.

Ah, yes .... here we go again with the YOU'RE NOT A REAL BILLS FAN IF YOU DON'T HAVE SEASON TICKETS life lesson.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

There's a chance you're right. But only if Marc signed away the rights to his likeness at the time of the original filming. A lot of news companies don't use rights waivers though bc they don't need rights to broadcast news. And while it's ok for news companies to license the footage they shoot to be used in other news stories and documentaries that are covered under fair use laws, advertising purposes don't fall under fair rights usage.

So it's certainly within the realm of possibility that ABC (or whoever it was) licensed the footage to the Bills for a purpose they didn't have the right to license it for.

You can dislike the way Marc Miller has handled the situation on Twitter, but I don't understand why people think the little guy has no rights and the billion dollar corporation is automatic the good guy. I'd be pissed if my face was all over the internet to advertise a product without my consent, even if it was my favorite product. And I think anybody should be pissed if that happened to them. I happen to believe that people should have a say in how their image is exploited. 

It is a shame that wage earning Americans will so readily drop to their knees in “support” of a corporate monopoly, Its like they have no sense of shame, or sense of self at all, these same people think that corporations are some how honest and benevolent,, they are neither, and always look first to their own benefit at your and my expense, all corporations are inherently corrupt, that is why they incorporate to begin with, it is done to deflect personal responsibility/liability for their actions.  Wake up America, he said fruitlessly...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

There's a chance you're right. But only if Marc signed away the rights to his likeness at the time of the original filming. A lot of news companies don't use rights waivers though bc they don't need rights to broadcast news. And while it's ok for news companies to license the footage they shoot to be used in other news stories and documentaries that are covered under fair use laws, advertising purposes don't fall under fair rights usage.

So it's certainly within the realm of possibility that ABC (or whoever it was) licensed the footage to the Bills for a purpose they didn't have the right to license it for.

You can dislike the way Marc Miller has handled the situation on Twitter, but I don't understand why people think the little guy has no rights and the billion dollar corporation is automatic the good guy. I'd be pissed if my face was all over the internet to advertise a product without my consent, even if it was my favorite product. And I think anybody should be pissed if that happened to them. I happen to believe that people should have a say in how their image is exploited. 

You don't have to sign anything actually when you are in a public area like that and put yourself on camera like he did you automatically sign your rights away. Fact. I hate when people try to argue things that can't be argued.

Edited by Boca BIlls

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You don't have to sign anything actually when you are in a public area like that and put yourself on camera like he did you automatically sign your rights away. Fact. I hate when people try to argue things that can't be argued.

True but in reading his Twitter timeline there was an IP attorney who questioned whether the Bills usage of his image in an advertisement can be considered “commercial.”  So for instance, it’s one thing for ESPN or whatever media entity to air the footage.   What you probably can’t do, is to use the footage in commercial media or advertising.  So for instance, Russell Salvatore probably couldn’t use the video Or Miller’s image to promote his “Dallas is Going Down” pasta dish. 

The question is whether the Bills using his image is a re-publication of new media and whether their usage is commercial.  

But then again, I can’t see the Bills legal staff being so sloppy to miss something like this easy, so I’m sure there’s a lot more to it and if I were a betting man, I’d double down on the Bills 

18 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

The laws very greatly by state, and by usage. Some states have extremely restrictive privacy laws, where it can be an actual prosecutable crime to use images of recognizable people in advertising without their consent.

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

True but in reading his Twitter timeline there was an IP attorney who questioned whether the Bills usage of his image in an advertisement can be considered “commercial.”  So for instance, it’s one thing for ESPN or whatever media entity to air the footage.   What you probably can’t do, is to use the footage in commercial media or advertising.  So for instance, Russell Salvatore probably couldn’t use the video Or Miller’s image to promote his “Dallas is Going Down” pasta dish. 

The question is whether the Bills using his image is a re-publication of new media and whether their usage is commercial.  

But then again, I can’t see the Bills legal staff being so sloppy to miss something like this easy, so I’m sure there’s a lot more to it and if I were a betting man, I’d double down on the Bills 

The way the Bills used the clip was in a commercial, which is the definition of commercial usage.

What's at question is whether Marc signed away his rights to NBC when they filmed it. That's the only way that NBC could license the clip for commerical purposes without Marc having a claim. But they license news clips under "fair use" all the time. So it's very possible that the Bills owe Marc a usage fee. 

Edited by Motorin'

12 hours ago, bbb said:

That was my thought when I heard him say that.  Actually, the 90s were tame compared to the early-mid 80s.  

Yeah I started going to games as a kid in 1981.    Not a great environment for a kid but after a couple games the shock wore off.  :lol:  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I started going to games as a kid in 1981.    Not a great environment for a kid but after a couple games the shock wore off.  :lol:  

Me too, first game was against the Fins at home in 81. I remember Jerry Butler catching a TD and toilet paper streaming onto the field. It was awesome!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Senator said:

There is likely some very fine print on the back of turdhead's Bills ticket that indemnifies the organization, the NFL, the networks, and any other stakeholders from situations like this, just as there is on a hockey or baseball ticket if you should get hit by a puck or a baseball.

Ah, they can't pull this one now - since there is no back of the ticket on my phone!

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Gary passed away about 10 years ago. RIP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Michael_(sportscaster)

Gary -=- George

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The night games were especially insane.  Jets in '83.  Dolphins in '84.............When the Bills would start getting blown out, the brawls would commence............I remember a day game vs. the Pats in '86 where an entire section was thrown out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bbb said:

The night games were especially insane.  Jets in '83.  Dolphins in '84.............When the Bills would start getting blown out, the brawls would commence............I remember a day game vs. the Pats in '86 where an entire section was thrown out. 

We were actually discussing at the last game how we used to have our viewing disrupted by fights AT LEAST 3 times per game back in the 90's.......that was a light day........but we hadn't even ONCE this season had to stand up to look over fight-gawkers.  

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We were actually discussing at the last game how we used to have our viewing disrupted by fights AT LEAST 3 times per game back in the 90's.......that was a light day........but we hadn't even ONCE this season had to stand up to look over fight-gawkers.  

But, people like Marc Murphy think it's too rowdy these days?  It's not even close.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

One time I was using Rayden (my fave btw) and I was fighting Scorpion. We both had about one hit of energy left but I was on the attack. I decided to try some electricity on him but he knew it was coming so he flipped back, then fired his chain at me, after a quick “COME HERE” he uppercutted me and it was over.

that my friend, was a fatal error.

I think you mean "get over here" ?

Why are y'all turning on Marc Miller?! He is a Buffalo Bills fan base hero and an all-purpose American hero. He is MY personal hero. He has taught me how to confront my fears in life and shout really loudly at them. And he has a perfectly valid legal case. City of Good Neighbors?! Yeah right. Who's next in your line of fire? Billy Buffalo? Bills Elvis guy? Pinto Ron?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1