Marc Miller (Dallas is Going Down) trying to cash in on the Bills

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

yea who owns the video at this point?  the tv station 25 years later? the bills might have bought it.  guy is trying to sell shirts and stuff but might have overthought his actual demand. 

Zero demand in this house. I liked it better when I thought he was dead.

Paraphrasing @DC Tom, he was an idiot then and he’s an idiot now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Resurgence said on their twitter that they reached out to him. Not sure what the outcome was. From his comments I'm guessing they reached out and he said well what are you doing for me $$$? They said, well your likeness is public, were not paying you anything we just want you to be apart of this great beer. Kinda disappointed as I was pumped for this release but they were out of stock already when i tried to get some. Kinda glad i didn't now...

I believe that Resurgence had brewed and distributed another batch of the  "Dallas Is Going Down, Gary" beer a week or two ago, following Miller's objection to Resurgence's use of his likeness, so whatever differences they had seemed to have been put aside - at least for now.

Edited by Bermuda Triangle
clarity

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I believe that Resurgence had brewed and distributed the "Dallas Is Going Down, Gary" beer a week or two ago, following Miller's objection to Resurgence's use of his likeness, so whatever differences they had seemed to have been put aside - at least for now.

he's now doing promotions for them so they have come to an agreement it seems

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

The video itself does, but unless he signed his rights away, he still owns the rights to his likeness and voice. 

I also don't get the animosity here. The Bills are a billion dollar company and used the guy in a commercial to sell a couple million dollars worth of tickets.

He should have went about it n a professional manor and not act like a dick on Twitter, thats the problem here.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

It appears that he complained about this a month ago.  Not only the Bills, but a beer company who sold beer with his face on the cans.

My guess is that he turned to Twitter when the Bills didn't "pay him" enough.

https://wben.radio.com/articles/dallas-is-going-down-gary-fan-reflects-on-fame-and-bills

From 11/28:

“They decided, without my permission, to put a likeness of me on that can of beer,” Miller said. “I was told they sold out of the beer and everything the day they did their introduction of that type of beer. I thought it was very distasteful. Number one, I don’t drink. Not that I’m against alcohol, it’s just never been in my life.”

He said he was told by that company they didn’t need to have his permission to use his likeness.

“Well I think you’re gonna have a problem with that one legally,” he said. “It’s just not cool to do that in my opinion. I would never take advantage of a client or person for monetary gain. I just wouldn’t do it. To me, it’s just a shame on you for doing that.”

He also was caught off guard when the Buffalo Bills used his likeness to promote ticket sales in a commercial.

“They should call me and give me a suite or something,” Miller quipped. “You can’t just take a likeness of someone and use it for promotional gain. Unless you’re gonna let me use Josh Allen on my website to promote my company.”

I'm pretty sure, "It's not cool," is not the legal standard here.....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

In his interview with WBEN last month, he admitted this. A little kid, who was too shy to speak on camera, was being interviewed by ch 2. Marc Miller pushed the kid out of the way, to show the kid how to talk about the bills on TV.

I hope the kid was named Gary 

55 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He should have went about it n a professional manor and not act like a dick on Twitter, thats the problem here.

Exactly and I agree with @Gugny the Bill didn't sell millions of dollars of tickets because of a screaming moron in a ad

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1