4th and 1

McBean

Up 17-13 after Josh Allen bomb to Smoke. Our defense held them to 3 and out. Offense comes back onto the field for the kill shot. Daboll runs 3 times. 4th and 1. I screamed at the TV, “Go for it! Do NOT punt! Don’t do it!”

We punted. The rest is history. THAT was the game. You HAVE to go for it.

This team can play with anybody and I mean ANYBODY. Us fans know that, but do our coaches?

Grow a pair McDermott. Grow a pair Daboll or you’re fired. Believe in this team like the fans do.

We’re onto the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

It's an easy hindsight call. At the time, it was 50/50.  I was all in on going, but smart coaching generally falls on the side of punting, and trusting your elite D.

I really can't fault them.  Of course it's easy to say it was the better decision now.

I actually agree with you on this.  Given that the game didn't mean anything to us that was the place to take a real gamble. 

It will be interesting to see how the Bills handle the Jets next week.  The most important things are to stay healthy and not give anything away.  But it would be nice to get to 11 wins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t disagree with your thoughts on forth down, but I have a bigger issue with something else. When you’re up 4 points in Foxboro after getting a big stop, you don’t call a series of run, run, run. That seldom works in the NFL, unless you are trying to milk the clock. It was far too early in the game for that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t disagree with your thoughts on forth down, but I have a bigger issue with something else. When you’re up 4 points in Foxboro after getting a big stop, you don’t call a series of run, run, run. That seldom works in the NFL, unless you are trying to milk the clock. It was far too early in the game for that. 

Is that where we ran the QB draw on 3rd down? I didn't hate that call. I wish they threw on 1st down more though. I don't think we did it much at all.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

It seemed like we ran on 1st almost all day.  I don’t have the stats, but just a thought.  I know we wanted and needed to have a good run game today, but don’t have to be predictable.

Lol, pretty much what I just posted. I would have liked to see more 1st down passing.

• Like (+1) 1

Since they had nothing to lose it was a game to let it fly. Otherwise, I'm OK with the decision.

The 4th and one that pissed me off was the one gifted by the refs to the Cheats in the 1st half. McD was right not to challenge, sadly, as we "couldn't see the ball" even though it's clear as day on the replay they didn't get it. That was a 4th down play. The Bills should have had the ball!

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It seemed like we ran on 1st almost all day.  I don’t have the stats, but just a thought.  I know we wanted and needed to have a good run game today, but don’t have to be predictable.

How about play action do we even have that in playbook????

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, McBean said:

Up 17-13 after Josh Allen bomb to Smoke. Our defense held them to 3 and out. Offense comes back onto the field for the kill shot. Daboll runs 3 times. 4th and 1. I screamed at the TV, “Go for it! Do NOT punt! Don’t do it!”

We punted. The rest is history. THAT was the game. You HAVE to go for it.

This team can play with anybody and I mean ANYBODY. Us fans know that, but do our coaches?

Grow a pair McDermott. Grow a pair Daboll or you’re fired. Believe in this team like the fans do.

We’re onto the playoffs.

They should have done a fake punt, it was wide open to the right would have made 5-20 yards.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is that where we ran the QB draw on 3rd down? I didn't hate that call. I wish they threw on 1st down more though. I don't think we did it much at all.

Lol, pretty much what I just posted. I would have liked to see more 1st down passing.

I agree, you just need to mix it up. Having a four point lead in the third quarter isn’t the time to simplify the offense imo. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Went back and checked the stats and actually they were pretty even running and passing on 1st down. It seemed like it was more run heavy.

Seemed that way to me as well. Maybe, they weren’t as bad as I thought with mixing things up, I just hate to see any three and out with all run plays. That’s just not how modern offense is played. I think that probably skewed my view of the actual play calling today.