The Bills loss can be summed up in two words...

folz

Poor tackling.

You can blame Daboll and Josh and the offense all you want. And yes, Josh missed a few plays that were there to be made and took some bad sacks. But they were going up against the best defense in the NFL. A team that is putting up historical numbers. The Pats have held teams to an average of 12.9 points/game. And we scored 17. Did the offense need to be better, yes, but they weren't the main reason for the loss in my mind. A few notes: Josh is only the 2nd quarterback this season (along with Watson) to throw two TD passes against the Pats D; John Brown's TD in the 3rd quarter is the first and only TD Gilmore has given up this year; Beasley is only the 2nd receiver this year to gain 100 yards against the Pats defense. This just in...the Pats D is really good. And the completely unbalanced time of possession in the first three quarters, didn't give the offense many opportunities or a chance to get into a rhythm.

The real reason the Bills lost was unusually poor tackling by the defense. There were so many plays where not just the first guy, but then the second guy missed the tackle. They let Michel and Burkhead look like All-Pro backs. So, if you want to blame something, it should be that. Back to fundamentals this week boys.

Still, though I'm not taking a moral victory out of this, for the most part, I'm proud of the team. They went in and played hard for 60 minutes. Had a 4th quarter lead and almost pulled the game into a tie at the end, despite being on the road, against the best in the business, and with the refs, let's say, not being friendly towards them. 

It's disappointing that the team couldn't get over the hump today, but there is no question that this Bills team can play with the big boys in this league. Take each game as experience. There is a lot to learn from this one, in a playoff-type atmosphere, for their future playoff games. Yes, I said games (plural). And hopefully next week they can gain some confidence and momentum against the Jets, and go into the playoffs confident and battle-tested.

Go Bills!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, folz said:

Poor tackling.

You can blame Daboll and Josh and the offense all you want. And yes, Josh missed a few plays that were there to be made and took some bad sacks. But they were going up against the best defense in the NFL. A team that is putting up historical numbers. The Pats have held teams to an average of 12.9 points/game. And we scored 17. Did the offense need to be better, yes, but they weren't the main reason for the loss in my mind. A few notes: Josh is only the 2nd quarterback this season (along with Watson) to throw two TD passes against the Pats D; John Brown's TD in the 3rd quarter is the first and only TD Gilmore has given up this year; Beasley is only the 2nd receiver this year to gain 100 yards against the Pats defense. This just in...the Pats D is really good. And the completely unbalanced time of possession in the first three quarters, didn't give the offense many opportunities or a chance to get into a rhythm.

The real reason the Bills lost was unusually poor tackling by the defense. There were so many plays where not just the first guy, but then the second guy missed the tackle. They let Michel and Burkhead look like All-Pro backs. So, if you want to blame something, it should be that. Back to fundamentals this week boys.

Still, though I'm not taking a moral victory out of this, for the most part, I'm proud of the team. They went in and played hard for 60 minutes. Had a 4th quarter lead and almost pulled the game into a tie at the end, despite being on the road, against the best in the business, and with the refs, let's say, not being friendly towards them. 

It's disappointing that the team couldn't get over the hump today, but there is no question that this Bills team can play with the big boys in this league. Take each game as experience. There is a lot to learn from this one, in a playoff-type atmosphere, for their future playoff games. Yes, I said games (plural). And hopefully next week they can gain some confidence and momentum against the Jets, and go into the playoffs confident and battle-tested.

Go Bills!

Where I am is I absolutely feel that this was a team loss.

• Like (+1) 3

Poor tackling and TOP. Got to control the clock better. All in all, I think the Bills have the better team except the Patriots have more polish. Ultimately I see the Bills as a team that’s ascending while the Patriots are a team that’s descending. We have a FO and coaching staff that is built to go another 15 years while Brady and Belichick are circling the drain of retirement. I wanted a win here but maybe next year. We need another good draft and offseason. Ultimately I really like Beane and McDermott a lot. Allen is ultra talented just needs some polish. I think our OL could use a couple upgrades too. Good game though. Not deterred, GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

I can’t blame the game plan when they didn’t execute.  Tackling, Blocking, throwing ... all were below par.  Not good enough to win in Foxboro.  They need to be better than they were today.  

Allen missed a lot of throws again. He took sacks too.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

poor fundamentals contributed to it, but a terrible game plan on offense and defense was as much to blame...if not more.

they weren’t winning in Foxborough without a lot of breaks going their way

Learning experience

Pre planned 

is that two words?

Thats not the Buffalo defensive game-plan I’ve seen. Rush four and basically let a junior high qb read your defense. Everything was just soft on defense. The coverage, the scheme, the tackling, it all just didn’t look like our team

This is the same problem they had against the Ravens and NE the first time.  We don't deal with pressure well. I know the Bills are not there yet ,but they should be able to either protect Josh better or  just dial up some quick hitting throws to give us a chance. If Mackenzie gets one carry a game, why can't Duke play with his size and hands. Sean is a little stubborn  about personnel. Also our run blocking was pretty bad today. It's frustrating to play them close and get out-physicalled at crunch time.