AFC QBs heading into 2020 - major transitions coming

Flip Johnson

20 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

I know we'll have all offseason to talk about this, but I want to mention that by my calculations Buffalo is one of only four teams in the AFC that could feel genuinely good about their QB situation going into 2020.

KC - they have a star in Mahomes.

Houston - they have a star in Watson

Baltimore - they have a star in Jackson

Buffalo - they have a young QB that improved drastically from yr 1 to yr 2.

Everyone else ranges from "uncertain" to "starting over" to "no plan whatsoever."

New England - headed towards a major decision with a 42-yr old QB. Seems like a parting of ways

New York Jets - will obviously stick with Darnold but the mono, the coaching situation, and the general mess of the team has made this a wasted year in his development.

Miami - should be drafting a QB

Pittsburgh - hoping Ben comes back healthy, no long term plan in place.

Cleveland - will stick with Baker but can't be happy about the way the needle is pointing, as yr 2 has been much worse than yr 1

Cincinnati - drafting

Tennessee - big decision on making a financial commitment to Tannehill based on half a season.

Indy - probably realizing Brissett is a backup.

Jacksonville - probably cleaning house, in jail with the Foles contract, can't really think Minshew is the answer.

Los Angeles - probably realizing Rivers is done.

Oakland - can't feel great about Carr, could be drafting.

Denver - crossing their fingers about Drew Lock.

So to my mind they break down into the following camps:

Set for the next decade:

Kansas City - Mahomes

Houston - Watson

Baltimore - Jackson

Feeling some level of optimism about their young guys: (I get that there is a chasm in this group and I do think the Bills are in this group still but are clearly the closest of these to being in the group above and I have ranked them in order. The point is none of these four are taking a QB on day 1 or 2)

Buffalo - Allen

New York - Darnold

Cleveland - Mayfield

Denver - Lock

The long goodbye group who should be drafting one early:

New England - Brady

Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger

Los Angeles - Rivers

The definite drafters:

Cincinnati - Dalton is done

Miami - Fitz is the placeholder

Purgatory:

Las Vegas - Carr is an average QB

Tennessee - About to make a mistake on Tannehill

Jacksonville - When you have two Quarterbacks you have no Quarterbacks

Indianapolis - They have a guy who doesn't suck. But he isn't the answer either.

19 hours ago, eanyills said:

I think you have to add Harbaugh to elite. The Ravens have been consistently competitive and he retooled successfully on the fly. He’s a good coach.

He is the 2nd best coach in the NFL. This is his 12th year in Baltimore. They have had one losing season (lost his QB and his best defensive player basically for the whole year), 10 winning seasons, 8 playoff seasons, and has won one Superbowl. If they can add another ring this year then that is without question a record that only Belichick can better.

• Like (+1) 2