Sign in to follow this  
TPS

Andre Roberts is a waste on the 46

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=KR

He's 5th in the league in kickoff return yards.

He's 3rd in the league in average yards/kickoff return.

Yep.  He sucks balls.

I guess since he hasn't had a return for a touchdown he sucks?

:rolleyes:

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 4

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

The Ravens have one of the best ST units in the league. Roberts has been a very good returner for us.

Not a waste of a spot....at all.

Kick & Punt Returns

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
Kick & Punt Returns Table
  Games Punt Returns Kick Returns  
Rk Player Tm Age Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
1 Deonte Harris NOR 22   11 0 27 269 1 53 10.0 20 494 0 51 24.7 804
2 Richie James SFO 24 wr 13 1 31 258 0 32 8.3 16 313 0 27 19.6 728
3 Andre Roberts BUF 31   11 0 26 194 0 22 7.5 21 562 0 66 26.8 776
4 Kenjon Barner ATL 29   11 0 26 225 1 78 8.7 10 276 0 47 27.6 547
5 Trevor Davis 2TM 26   11 4 16 112 0 32 7.0 19 411 0 52 21.6 707
6 Mecole Hardman KAN 21 wr 13 4 11 138 0 36 12.5 22 510 0 34 23.2 1163
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, Warcodered said:

Didn't he have the 3rd most return yards going into this game? I mean he hasn't had a homerun yet but he's been consistently good.

See, people just think if he doesn't have punt and kick returns for a TD, then he is worthless. He is third in kick-off return average at 26 yards per return. He averages 7 yards per return and most importantly, hasn't turned the ball over, which was a big issue last year. We don't need him to break big returns every time. We just need him to catch teh ball and make good decisions so we aren't in terrible field position. 

• Like (+1) 4

This guy catches punts and kickoffs effortlessly. Usually with his hands like someone is flicking him the ball from 5 feet away. I have no worries about this guy fumbling the ball or not doing what he’s supposed to back there, and that goes entirely unnoticed by the majority of fans. Our blocking has not been good enough, but I think up until recently, and maybe still, we are leading the league in kickoff return average. He’s also one of the only guys in the league that has the green light to take the ball out of the end zone consistently because of his big play ability, that sometimes leads to getting tackled at the 20. 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

See, people just think if he doesn't have punt and kick returns for a TD, then he is worthless. He is third in kick-off return average at 26 yards per return. He averages 7 yards per return and most importantly, hasn't turned the ball over, which was a big issue last year. We don't need him to break big returns every time. We just need him to catch teh ball and make good decisions so we aren't in terrible field position. 

It's the same way many view the QB position.  A Bills QB is either Tom Brady in his prime, or he's Ryan Leaf.

Because Andre Roberts isn't Devin Hester, he has to be terrible in some people's eyes.

• Like (+1) 4

Someone needs to advise him that returning kickoffs from the end zone when you pretty consistently can't get beyond the 25 is not a good idea.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

27 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Someone needs to advise him that returning kickoffs from the end zone when you pretty consistently can't get beyond the 25 is not a good idea.

You can't take it to the house without bringing it out.  I love when he brings it out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You can't take it to the house without bringing it out.  I love when he brings it out.

I do too. I'll take the occasional 40 yard start if it costs us 5 yards here and there, especially since he doesn't fumble the ball. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm ok with him with good depth infront of him at the WR position....Bills don't have good depth infront of him. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yep, I’d rather risk a few yards in starting field position for the chance to break off a big one. The risk/reward is definitely worth it. 

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Yep, I’d rather risk a few yards in starting field position for the chance to break off a big one. The risk/reward is defiantly worth it. 

Note how this thread started after playing the Ravens - a team coached by a former ST coach who have traditionally had great STs. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yea there's not a massive difference between the 22 or 23 yard line and the 25. I'd even argue there's not much of a difference between the 20 and 25. 

By bringing it out it also forces the kicking team to cover and show they can cover the kick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea there's not a massive difference between the 22 or 23 yard line and the 25. I'd even argue there's not much of a difference between the 20 and 25. 

By bringing it out it also forces the kicking team to cover and show they can cover the kick.

I generally agree, but bringing it out also leads to those damn "half the distance to the goal" penalties.  Which seem to happen all the time on returns, and those really back you up.

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I generally agree, but bringing it out also leads to those damn "half the distance to the goal" penalties.  Which seem to happen all the time on returns, and those really back you up.

The Bills have only had 7 ST penalties this year tho.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:17 PM, StHustle said:

You have any evidence pointing to this or just some unsubstantiated opinion of yours?

Well, it may be similarly as unsubstantiated as the opinions of those who think Duke is a world beater.

Andre deserves a spot on the active roster just for his great hands & sound decision making back there on punt & kickoff returns. Been a fan since 1970 & seem to have spent most years holding my breath every kick, hoping that there wouldn't be some bone-headed play or devastating turnover  back there . It is a pleasure to not be dreading some disastrous, game killing mistake every kick return. I can live with the periodic failures to make it out to at least the 25 yard line on kickoffs - just for the peace of mind he provides back there.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:18 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Andre has been a surprising disappointment. He hasn't busted 1 good kickoff or punt return all season.  But our punt and kickoff block coverage might be the worst in the league. Farwell is actually worse than Crossman. 

No TD returns but he has had a 60 plus harder and a few other good returns. My eyes see a guy who runs hard but has yet to have a clear field to really turn it on. Personally, I like Roberts. Shore up the rest of the unit then he'll really shine 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, TPS said:

Something I've been thinking about and today confirms it for me.  The Bill's return game isn't good enough to waste a spot dressing Roberts. 

I believe they'd be better off dressing Duke.  

Duke doesn't bring anything to WR corps that's unique except he has some size.  Doesn't gain separation vs Outside CBs.  He like Andre would be 4th or 5th WR.  Duke can't play STs, can't get deep, can't run jet sweep or Reverse.

McKenzie and Foster bring speed advantage and Foster is a gunner on STs.  Think that is the reason we see him over Duke.  

Andre is a returner other teams fear btw.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:18 PM, skibum said:

Seriously? He was one of the only non-Defensive Bills to do his job competently all day today. He caught all the balls that came to him, for example. The days of Devin Hester are long gone - big returns just don't happen much anymore.

Steelers rook had a nice one last week. 

The option would be Hyde and I’d rather not risk him on a phone by return.  McKenzie was the other option and he had the dropsies

9 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

He's just getting warmed up for the playoffs

• Thanks! (+1) 1