Jump to content
Ethan in Portland

Roll call for officiating conspiracy believers

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

 

Who makes the business plan?  Who decides what steps to take to execute it?

 

If the business plan was found/published publicly and shown to bias certain teams for financial gain would there(could there) be an impact in terms of loss revenue?  

Good questions. 

 

Overall, this is hard to prove. We really would have to rely on precedents set by other corporations and apply their business practice to the NFL. It seems that all levels of planning would keep plausible deniability in place. One document or plan would probably not emerge. Rather, the practice or plan would emerge or emerges from a set of circumstantial data. Take hiring of minorities in 1960s. You will not find a document or business plan that states: do not hire minorities. But you will see that minorities simply do not get hired, despite claims of the opposite, e.g. we are an equal opportunity employer. More explicitly related to profit is, let's say, oil companies.There will be no documents that state "we will displace this Native tribe or we will damage this ecosystem", but those things will happen and are implicit in business plans. So, employees (officials) simply understand the aims of the corporation and comply. Like a New York Times writer understands that they cannot write a story from a fascist or communist perspective because it will not be profitable or aligned with the politics of the paper and it will not get published. Sometimes when things like this are revealed, corporations do lose revenue.  

 

So, it is an on going process of aims toward profit that are only revealed through somewhat long term study and an analysis of how corporations function. There is no single who, but rather a host of related forces that determine the central practice of the business. This is the beauty of bureaucracy and capitalism, but also this is what makes it so problematic. 

Edited by leonbus23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

Good questions. 

 

Overall, this is hard to prove. We really would have to rely on precedents set by other corporations and apply their business practice to the NFL. It seems that all levels of planning would keep plausible deniability in place. One document or plan would probably not emerge. Rather, the practice or plan would emerge or emerges from a set of circumstantial data. Take hiring of minorities in 1960s. You will not find a document or business plan that states: do not hire minorities. But you will see that minorities simply do not get hired, despite claims of the opposite, e.g. we are an equal opportunity employer. More explicitly related to profit is, let's say, oil companies.There will be no documents that state "we will displace this Native tribe or we will damage this ecosystem", but those things will happen and are implicit in business plans. So, employees (officials) simply understand the aims of the corporation and comply. Like a New York Times writer understands that they cannot write a story from a fascist or communist perspective because it will not be profitable or aligned with the politics of the paper and it will not get published. Sometimes when things like this are revealed, corporations do lose revenue.  

 

So, it is an on going process of aims toward profit that are only revealed through somewhat long term study and an analysis of how corporations function. There is no single who, but rather a host of related forces that determine the central practice of the business. This is the beauty of bureaucracy and capitalism, but also this is what makes it so problematic. 

Or maybe there is no business plan that favors large markets and fans have a biased perception of their experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Or maybe there is no business plan that favors large markets and fans have a biased perception of their experiences. 

Certainly possible. But as my examples show, there are objective conditions that drive capital. I understand deeply rooted inherent bias. But I do not need any bias to state that, for instance, logging displaces certain animal species. What mystifies our understanding is the layer of ideology that covers the objective conditions. 

 

In the NFL, we know as a corporation, it seeks maximum profits. From that fact, we can see how their practices fulfill this aim. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 4:17 PM, MattM said:

Please simply list examples of games they lost on League-wide controversial bad calls—it’s a very simple question. Off the top of my head I listed a whole bunch they won that way.  If there was anything close to randomness involved here, it would even out, yet it doesn’t seem to when it comes to them.  Remember, too, that we’re dealing with a team that has been caught cheating and pushing the envelope of acceptable behavior many, many times.

 

If it’s simply “the Jordan effect”, please explain (a) why Peyton Manning didn’t seem to get a similar benefit of the doubt during his  HOF career (in fact, one of the most egregious examples of multiple bad calls at the end of a game going New England’s way (the aforementioned 2004 AFCCG) came against Manning), and (b) why no other teams are known to get the benefit of calls anywhere near the level of New England (look no further than the cottage industry of “New England owns the refs“ memes that have cropped up over the last few years).

 

Please be specific.


 

Just watch the KC game today - multiple bad calls and penalties including a fumble that was going for a TD get called down.


Games like this are why even NE fans feel screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

Just watch the KC game today - multiple bad calls and penalties including a fumble that was going for a TD get called down.


Games like this are why even NE fans feel screwed.

The one call that goes against them? Hell his forward progress was stopped honestly. They have no right to complain....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The one call that goes against them? Hell his forward progress was stopped honestly. They have no right to complain....


 

This is a crew that likes to call penalties and NE has had a ton to keep KC drives alive early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...