Shaq over Murphy, Right?

Dkollidas

Any DE will be upgrade over Murphy. No sacks, abosulutely invisible all season. 

If Beane finds in free agency and draft a dominatnt DE , upgrades for Star and Levi , 3rd LB on level with Edmunds and Milano = this defence will destroy every opponent next year.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Neither are that good.

People seriously are going overboard after Shaq got 2 sacks on Sunday. 2 sacks where the offensive line didn't even put a single blocker on him and let him come in untouched. Murphy or anyone else would've gotten those sacks too.

Murphy is useless. 

• Like (+1) 1

In still think we can upgrade Shaq..he has done well lately but not convinced to throw lot of money at him. It looked twice Broncos forgot to block him. He hasn't really stood out for me and considering this is his contract year you expect a player to do well. I have to look at his overall play last couple years included. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Over the cap has the savings at 7.2  million with 1.75 mill in dead money if we cut him in 2020, not sure about the post June 1st cut that option never seems to work on that site.

Use Spotrac.  I believe it's a much better site.

Click the Red X on the right of the year to see details.

No change if Murphy is cut after June 1st.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Neither are that good.

People seriously are going overboard after Shaq got 2 sacks on Sunday. 2 sacks where the offensive line didn't even put a single blocker on him and let him come in untouched. Murphy or anyone else would've gotten those sacks too.

Shaq's been solid, if unspectacular, all season.  He's reminding me of Phil Hansen - the sort of player that'll never be an All-Pro, but that you can rely on to consistently do the job.  A good team needs a lot of players like that. 

Murphy...the only time I've noticed him the past few weeks was in blown coverage that had me saying "Oh yeah, I forgot about him...why is he dropped back in to coverage?"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Over the cap has the savings at 7.2  million with 1.75 mill in dead money if we cut him in 2020, not sure about the post June 1st cut that option never seems to work on that site.

Not quite sure about Shaq yet, but saving 7.2M....we need to show Murphy the door.

50 minutes ago, section122 said:

With 90 million in cap space there is no need to move on from Star or Trent.

Without getting into the merits of Murphy or Star, players need to contribute to the level of whatever remains on their contracts.  This should be true regardless of how much cap space the Bills are saving for White, Allen, Murphy, Phillips, and a Superbowl run.  Better to carry dead cap then dead weight.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think Shaq is a RDE.  I’ve only seen him make 1 play on the left side this season.  Everything else comes from the right or DT. I like him, but I don’t think he’s a fit for us unless we plan on keeping him as a RDE.  

This is correct, but I wouldn't be shocked if Hughes was cut (if no paycut)

1 hour ago, suorangefan4 said:

Neither are that good.

True but at this point Shaq is the better player. But keep in mind Murphy already got paid and Shaq is trying to. Who knows what his motivation will be like once he cashes in.

27 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Shaq was a bust to many b4 the season including management since they didn't pick up the option. I doubt he will give the home town discount now

"Murphy" was a full episode of Seinfeld.  .... or sorry I don't know the other guy your talking about

It doesn't make you a bust if your option isn't picked up. You just failed to meet expectations. Like Shaq, you can still be a serviceable player. Not his fault he was over drafted.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, section122 said:

You know I probably should just let them slide but are we really complaining about the 3rd ranked defense?  3rd in ppg, 3rd in ypg, 3rd in passing yards per game, and gasp 14th in rushing yards per game.  They are top 5 in 3 categories and top half of the league in the other category.

With 90 million in cap space there is no need to move on from Star or Trent.  There is money to spend on Shaq and Jordan Phillips and others who need to be re-signed.  There is still money to add players as well.  No reason to cut players and create holes in a very good defense.

I don’t see any reason to keep Trent. You can save $7.2M by releasing him. That feels like a no-brainer. He’s a bad player. You can get equal or better production for half the price. Regardless of the cap space they already have there is zero reason for Trent Murphy to be on this team in 2020. The same goes for Kroft and Spencer Long imo (there is another $9Mish in those 2).

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That implies he was dogging it previously and likely will do so after new con tract, no?

Not necessarily. Young players do get better with more experience. And players in general get better with good coaching and being placed in a better position to succeed. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not necessarily. Young players do get better with more experience. And players in general get better with good coaching and being placed in a better position to succeed. 

All true...but not what I was responding to.

Poster implied player was turning up this game because of an upcoming potential contract negotiation, not for the reasons you listed.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

All true...but not what I was responding to.

Poster implied player was turning up this game because of an upcoming potential contract negotiation, not for the reasons you listed.

Without question players do turn up their game when a contract is coming up. That happens in all sports. Getting better with experience and having a financial incentive to get better for the next contract are not mutually exclusive. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Without question players do turn up their game when a contract is coming up. That happens in all sports. Getting better with experience and having a financial incentive to get better for the next contract are not mutually exclusive. 

I disagree.  Allowing for improvement over years (Lawson has been around for 4 years now, underperforming), if I'm a GM and I think a player is turning it on to cash in, then I would be right to suspect he will turn it down after cashing in. 

In fact, by saying that they turn up their game explicitly says they made a decision to play harder than if it was not a contract year.  Don't want that guy.