ESPN All-Underrated Team (2 Bills Players)

BigDingus

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28157571/barnwell-2019-all-underrated-team-picking-24-nfl-players-tannehill-judon

buf.png&h=110&w=110

Wide receiver: John Brown, Buffalo Bills

Brown has a well-earned reputation as a downfield burner from his time in Arizona, but when the Bills signed Brown away from the Ravens on a three-year, $27 million deal, it was to serve as Buffalo's primary wideout. In 2019, he has proved that he can be more than just a deep threat. It's telling that Josh Allen's 34-yard touchdown pass to Brown past Chris Harris Jr. on Sunday was Allen's first completion in 16 attempts on a pass traveling 30 or more yards in the air in 2019.

That's not a criticism. Allen and Brown have been able to form a productive relationship without having to rely on desperate heaves downfield, with both maturing in the intermediate game. Brown has caught 36 passes thrown between 5 and 15 yards in the air, which ranks ninth in the league alongside superstars such as DeAndre Hopkins (37), Keenan Allen (36), Amari Cooper (34) and Julio Jones (30). The 29-year-old is being targeted on just under 25% of the routes he runs, which is right in line with guys such as Cooper (24.6%) and Allen Robinson (also 24.6%). The field-stretching ability finally showed up on Sunday, and given Allen's arm and Brown's legs, I doubt it will be the last long touchdown for the Pittsburg State product.

The Bills hoped Brown would become a No. 1. Their hopes were answered.

buf.png&h=110&w=110

Cornerback: Tre'Davious White, Buffalo Bills

We've all come to a conclusion that Stephon Gilmore is the best cornerback in football. I'm not going to disagree, especially after he erased Amari Cooper from existence during Sunday's win over the Cowboys. If we're trying to pick the second-best cornerback in football, though, you could do a lot worse than White, who repeatedly doesn't get the attention he deserves while anchoring one of the league's best defenses.

While Gilmore was locking down Cooper, White was the one shutting down Courtland Sutton for 27 yards on eight targets, despite giving up five inches to the Broncos standout. The Bills don't always have White shadow the opposing team's No. 1 wideout, but he has helped shut down those guys. Opposing No. 1s have caught an average of just four passes for 53 yards against the Bills this season, and the only top wideout to catch a touchdown pass was DeVante Parker, who caught the touchdown when White wasn't covering him. Like Gilmore, the Bills have built their defense around encouraging opposing quarterbacks to challenge their best corner, with White the closest defender in coverage 65 times already this season. White has allowed a passer rating of just 43.1 on those throws, the fourth-best mark in football. He's a superstar.

I think Matt Milano deserves a nod too, but I'm probably a bit biased :) 

It's also crazy to think about how good this defense could've been had we been able to keep Stephon Gilmore. That would've been a nightmare for opposing defenses. Really hope we don't let White go once his contract is up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the national media hated Buffalo.  It’s almost like if you have good players and you win games, you will eventually get respect. ?

and I still think Brown isn’t a true number 1 but he has been amazing and it’s insane how consistent he is.  Probably the best FA signing of this regime. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have heard so many pundits saying that Milano up until recently had been having a bad season. He was money until he got hurt at the bye and has been very good since the Skins game. I get that maybe he had a bad game or two but why does Milano have this rep as having a bad season? I think he has been borderline pro-bowl caliber. 

7 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Milano definitely deserves to make the list  

Tannehill made this list...

I think they were just trying to spread it out so they only picked a couple of the more egregious ones from the Bills, but a lot of Bills players should be on it if that's the bar.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought the national media hated Buffalo.  It’s almost like if you have good players and you win games, you will eventually get respect. ?

and I still think Brown isn’t a true number 1 but he has been amazing and it’s insane how consistent he is.  Probably the best FA signing of this regime. 

Browns fun to watch and is putting up number 1 numbers- definitely a great grab in FA. 

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28157571/barnwell-2019-all-underrated-team-picking-24-nfl-players-tannehill-judon

buf.png&h=110&w=110

Wide receiver: John Brown, Buffalo Bills

Brown has a well-earned reputation as a downfield burner from his time in Arizona, but when the Bills signed Brown away from the Ravens on a three-year, $27 million deal, it was to serve as Buffalo's primary wideout. In 2019, he has proved that he can be more than just a deep threat. It's telling that Josh Allen's 34-yard touchdown pass to Brown past Chris Harris Jr. on Sunday was Allen's first completion in 16 attempts on a pass traveling 30 or more yards in the air in 2019.

That's not a criticism. Allen and Brown have been able to form a productive relationship without having to rely on desperate heaves downfield, with both maturing in the intermediate game. Brown has caught 36 passes thrown between 5 and 15 yards in the air, which ranks ninth in the league alongside superstars such as DeAndre Hopkins (37), Keenan Allen (36), Amari Cooper (34) and Julio Jones (30). The 29-year-old is being targeted on just under 25% of the routes he runs, which is right in line with guys such as Cooper (24.6%) and Allen Robinson (also 24.6%). The field-stretching ability finally showed up on Sunday, and given Allen's arm and Brown's legs, I doubt it will be the last long touchdown for the Pittsburg State product.

The Bills hoped Brown would become a No. 1. Their hopes were answered.

buf.png&h=110&w=110

Cornerback: Tre'Davious White, Buffalo Bills

We've all come to a conclusion that Stephon Gilmore is the best cornerback in football. I'm not going to disagree, especially after he erased Amari Cooper from existence during Sunday's win over the Cowboys. If we're trying to pick the second-best cornerback in football, though, you could do a lot worse than White, who repeatedly doesn't get the attention he deserves while anchoring one of the league's best defenses.

While Gilmore was locking down Cooper, White was the one shutting down Courtland Sutton for 27 yards on eight targets, despite giving up five inches to the Broncos standout. The Bills don't always have White shadow the opposing team's No. 1 wideout, but he has helped shut down those guys. Opposing No. 1s have caught an average of just four passes for 53 yards against the Bills this season, and the only top wideout to catch a touchdown pass was DeVante Parker, who caught the touchdown when White wasn't covering him. Like Gilmore, the Bills have built their defense around encouraging opposing quarterbacks to challenge their best corner, with White the closest defender in coverage 65 times already this season. White has allowed a passer rating of just 43.1 on those throws, the fourth-best mark in football. He's a superstar.

I think Matt Milano deserves a nod too, but I'm probably a bit biased :) 

It's also crazy to think about how good this defense could've been had we been able to keep Stephon Gilmore. That would've been a nightmare for opposing defenses. Really hope we don't let White go once his contract is up. 

gilmore would not make it on the McDermott "bus"   He quit on the Bills and refused to tackle and stop the run.  My view, run the ball gilmore's side...anybody who watched him knows he is afraid to hit.  Yes, a great cover guy, we saw that during his time in Buffalo.  But, we also saw his lack of desire to hit.

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

gilmore would not make it on the McDermott "bus"   He quit on the Bills and refused to tackle and stop the run.  My view, run the ball gilmore's side...anybody who watched him knows he is afraid to hit.  Yes, a great cover guy, we saw that during his time in Buffalo.  But, we also saw his lack of desire to hit.

Still the biggest lie said about Gilmore

He struggled to make some tackles when he played with a broken wrist with a club!  

He knocked 250 pound Eddie Lacy out of a game before by smoking him! Yea afraid of contact?

He hit Lacy so hard he knocked him self out of the game... Maybe that makes you think of your priorities as a CB

Which is setting the outside edge which he always did well

People bashed Gilmore from day 1 when he was always working hard and making plays

He's not any different than when he was here he just gets recognition and not as many penalties cus its the Patriots

He's a stud. Period end of discussion

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Ultimately, Gilmore needed the discipline of the Patroits' preparation to reach his full potential.  I doubt he would have been as good in Buffalo, even now.

One thing I noticed about Tre White. watching the reply of yesterday's game, is that he's playing very good run support, too.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Still the biggest lie said about Gilmore

He struggled to make some tackles when he played with a broken wrist with a club!  

He knocked 250 pound Eddie Lacy out of a game before by smoking him! Yea afraid of contact?

He hit Lacy so hard he knocked him self out of the game... Maybe that makes you think of your priorities as a CB

Which is setting the outside edge which he always did well

People bashed Gilmore from day 1 when he was always working hard and making plays

He's not any different than when he was here he just gets recognition and not as many penalties cus its the Patriots

He's a stud. Period end of discussion

Compared to now, he was sloppy with the Bills.  He's learned to play much more disciplined with the Pats, and he's far better for it.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ultimately, Gilmore needed the discipline of the Patroits' preparation to reach his full potential.  I doubt he would have been as good in Buffalo, even now.

One thing I noticed about Tre White. watching the reply of yesterday's game, is that he's playing very good run support, too.

Compared to now, he was sloppy with the Bills.  He's learned to play much more disciplined with the Pats, and he's far better for it.

He was imo our best player for a while and occasionally got sloppy in coverage

As do most / all corners