Seantrel Henderson - OT depth? (Update - visiting Bills)

YoloinOhio

Just now, Limeaid said:

I stated that the Bills should look at him but need to ask the hard question.   Do you think they should go in blind?

Of course you don’t go blindly. You look, and you decide. Weed use/suspensions are not a huge consideration for me midway through the season. Get guys who can help you win on your way to the finish line. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

You lead with something that is completely irrelevant. I’d make the decision based upon the ability to make the team better, if called upon. I’ll leave that to the FO. 

Why would Houston let him go?

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

He smoked it on a video.  What more evidence do you need?

That's not how it works, as you know.

Only the absolute dumbest players get busted via a positive test.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would Houston let him go?

That's not how it works, as you know.

Only the absolute dumbest players get busted via a positive test.

I don’t know (do YOU KNOW? Without speculation), and I don’t care within reason. Weed is within reason. If they have better options at that one position than we do, good for them. If he’s an upgrade for us, good for US

Some people here seem to be confusing weed with domestic violence. That’s like comparing a parking ticket to serial killer. Weed is legal in may states, beating your GF is NOT. Relax, it’s against NFL CBA rules, but it’s not something that makes you evil. And the league says he IS eligible! Why should you have a higher standard? 

Just now, Augie said:

I don’t know (do YOU KNOW? Without speculation), and I don’t care within reason. Weed is within reason. If they have better options at that one position than we do, good for them. If he’s an upgrade for us, good for US

Some people here seem to be confusing weed with domestic violence. That’s like comparing a parking ticket to serial killer. Weed is legal in may states, beating your GF is NOT. Relax, it’s against NFL CBA rules, but it’s not something that makes you evil. And the league says he IS eligible! Why should you have a higher standard? 

None of that matters and no one is confusing domestic violence with testing positive for weed (nice try?).

Most are voicing the overwhelmingly obvious concern of the risk of another positive test for a banned substance.  Pretty straightforward...

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

None of that matters and no one is confusing domestic violence with testing positive for weed (nice try?).

Most are voicing the overwhelmingly obvious concern of the risk of another positive test for a banned substance.  Pretty straightforward...

So what is the downside? If he fails, we go to the next available option. Very simple. I’ll start with the best available option (whoever that may be) to finish the season, and hope for the best. If we must end up trying to find a lesser player later, so be it. Why start with the second best option right now? 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So what is the downside? If he fails, we go to the next available option. Very simple. I’ll start with the best available option (whoever that may be) to finish the season, and hope for the best. If we must end up trying to find a lesser player later, so be it. Why start with the second best option right now? 

Also, I’m NOT confusing the two violations. I pass on DV on moral grounds to a high degree, but have zero qualms about weed. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

It is not legal in ANY states just not prosecuted.   And if he is brought in, brought onto squad, etc and he fails check then Bills will need to find someone else to replace and some of best candidates may already have been taken for there will be more injuries, let downs and suspensions.  Ask the question, bring him in for workout and make decision there but no Jim Overdorf infamous contracts with no penalties for violations.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/federal-crime/medical-marijuana-federal-laws.htm

Although 18 states have legalized the medical use of marijuana, federal law does not recognize or protect medicinal marijuana possession or use; and the federal government can prosecute people who are otherwise protected under state medicinal marijuana laws.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Also, I’m NOT confusing the two violations. I pass on DV on moral grounds to a high degree, but have zero qualms about weed. 

Well, everyone wants the best available option.  Not worth reiterating really.

A legitimate question is whether this guy is that at this point in his limited career.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

It is not legal in ANY states just not prosecuted.   And if he is brought in, brought onto squad, etc and he fails check then Bills will need to find someone else to replace and some of best candidates may already have been taken for there will be more injuries, let downs and suspensions.  Ask the question, bring him in for workout and make decision there but no Jim Overdorf infamous contracts with no penalties for violations.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/federal-crime/medical-marijuana-federal-laws.htm

Although 18 states have legalized the medical use of marijuana, federal law does not recognize or protect medicinal marijuana possession or use; and the federal government can prosecute people who are otherwise protected under state medicinal marijuana laws.

That is a silly response, IMO. Get into the real world. I’m not going down that road. We were talking about a football player, remember? A guy who might be able to help the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, everyone wants the best available option.  Not worth reiterating really.

A legitimate question is whether this guy is that at this point in his limited career.

EXACTLY!!! 

So why did all the other crap come up? I’m NOT saying he’s the best option, but I won’t let weed decide whether we consider him. The NFL says he IS eligible to help our team. If we decide he is the best option to do that, you’d have to be an idiot not to take a long, hard look. 

It’s not like we’re investing draft picks in him at this point. He’s free, and you can use him as long as he can help you. For free. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

This topic always turns into “weed isn’t a big deal!” even though that has never been the argument.

Here is the one important fact: THE NFL SAYS HE IS ELIGIBLE. 

Who is qualified to declare anything else? 

Now, is he the best option? That is a real question. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That is the case. It seems even stupider in hindsight. I think they even did a special review of it and decided to not allow it. These other leagues ALWAYS look the other way with weed.

Henderson was busted multiple times in college for Ganga.  He even tested positive at the combine which is why his stock dropped.  Yes he did have Chrone’s disease which is unfortunate, but given his history, it made a lot of people wonder whether he smoked weed for medical purposes or because...he just likes getting high!

Keep in mind, he failed the proper protocol for reporting a banned substance to team and league officials.  If you knew you were prescribed something, that you’ve been suspended for in the past, why wouldn’t you report this to team?  

The situation just seems strange to me.  If this was all about medicinal marijuana, why didn’t attempt to appeal the ban.  He just served the 8 game suspension because he didn’t have a case.

Or maybe it’s like the song goes:

”I was gonna appeal my suspension....and then I got high!”  

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He smoked it on a video.  What more evidence do you need?

It was probably tobacco

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Except he was smoking before he had a Chron's disease issue.

I think he choose MJ because he smoked it before and it was easy to convince himself this was the easy solution hence why I think the Bills need to ask him the hard question.

I think this is exactly what happened.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill

8 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No that’s his excuse.  Seantrel was busted multiple times in college for Ganga.  He even tested positive at the combine which is why his stock dropped.  Yes he did have Chrone’s disease which is unfortunate, but given his history, it made a lot of people wonder whether he smoked weed for medical purposes or because...he just likes getting high!

Keep in mind, he failed the proper protocol for reporting a banned substance to team and league officials.  If you knew you were prescribed something, that you’ve been suspended for in the past, why wouldn’t you report this to team?  

The situation just seems strange to me.  If this was all about medicinal marijuana, why didn’t attempt to appeal the ban.  He just served the 8 game suspension because he didn’t have a case.

Or maybe it’s like the song goes:

”I was gonna appeal my suspension....and then I got high!”  

It was probably tobacco

No, it was a joint.  It's on Youtube among other places on the 'net

On 11/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, Tenhigh said:

How has his play been in Texas?  Kinda forgot about him after he left.  I remember the Crohn's disease was pretty terrible for him for a while there...

He was not good in Houston.  Fringe marginal starter.  He’s a backup tackle 

41 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

i knew there was a Henderson thread, but i didn't find it before i just posted the tweet in it's own thread

That’s ok.  I feel that topic should stand on its own

36 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Don’t let Seantrel visit Canada!  He can get recreational marijuana there!!!!!!!

You might be the last “anti-marijuana” guy left in the US. There’s 30 articles to it’s benefit to every 1 against it. That doesn’t even get into how dangerous the alternatives are. For some perspective there were 47,600 opioid deaths in the US in 2017. There were no deaths from cannabis overdose in that year. Don’t confuse lobby money with danger.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You might be the last “anti-marijuana” guy left in the US. There’s 30 articles to it’s benefit to every 1 against it. That doesn’t even get into how dangerous the alternatives are. For some perspective there were 47,600 opioid deaths in the US in 2017. There were no deaths from cannabis overdose in that year. Don’t confuse lobby money with danger.

The point isn't the safety (or not) of the stuff , it's that the NFL prohibits it, and Henderson as a repeat offender is in their drug program for regular testing.

Whether you think the NFL should allow it or not (lots of ex players have come out in favor), right now they don't.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point isn't the safety (or not) of the stuff , it's that the NFL prohibits it, and Henderson as a repeat offender is in their drug program for regular testing.

Whether you think the NFL should allow it or not (lots of ex players have come out in favor), right now they don't.

But at the same time it’s estimated that 87% of the players use it regularly. I hang out with, or used to hang out with, about 5 guys that played. Every single one of them uses it (not always like some). They said that well over half of the locker room uses it regularly. If you get caught normally, it’s because you are an idiot. Henderson is a bit of a weird case. He didn’t hide it because he said that was all that helped with Crohn’s. The rest of the leagues look the other way. As always, the NFL is the last guy to sit at the table. It does then ZERO good to fight it at this point. It will be gone in the next CBA for sure. 

The point being, marijuana use is about reason 3,654,754,357 that you wouldn’t want a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Haha maybe.  I’m also anti-opioid.  I just don’t want a player who puts weed above football as Seantrel has done SEVERAL times throughout it his life.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But at the same time it’s estimated that 87% of the players use it regularly. I hang out with, or used to hang out with, about 5 guys that played. Every single one of them uses it (not always like some). They said that well over half of the locker room uses it regularly. If you get caught normally, it’s because you are an idiot. Henderson is a bit of a weird case. He didn’t hide it because he said that was all that helped with Crohn’s. The rest of the leagues look the other way. As always, the NFL is the last guy to sit at the table. It does then ZERO good to fight it at this point. It will be gone in the next CBA for sure. 

The point being, marijuana use is about reason 3,654,754,357 that you wouldn’t want a player. 

A player, check.

A player in the drug testing program due to repeat offenses, that's something a team has to consider.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Such as?

Old post. Regardless, off the top of my head;

Brian Mihalik,

Sam Young,

Austin Pasztor

would all be improvements

Edited by Kiva