Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo Barbarian

Daboll is an excellent play caller

Recommended Posts

Michael Jordan is the GOAT and can't assemble a  competitive basketball team to save his life.  Who is Eric Wood, in the grand scheme of things?   

 

I know what I see.  Daboll has his moments, both good and bad.  The bad is really bad.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez...

We’re not Cleveland. Let’s not fire everyone on a whim... Let them develop the team and the players for gods sake. 

Daboll is and should be our coordinator for the foreseeable future. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

 

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

 

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

 

 

 

I agree with you, but I will say this, even after a win the whiners whine, and there is no mention of the win, or what was done well in their posts, and it’s not an occasional thing, it’s virtually every time they post. Yes it is totally obvious the team needs improvement, and everyone already knows this, but an ada boy now and then would be cool, don’t ya think?

 

Go Bills!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

 

I was super frustrated when it happened.  But after sleeping on it, this is where your line has to win.  Good teams can do this and break through.  Nothing more frustrating for a defense then being beaten when you know what they are doing.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

 

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

 

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

 

 

 

Your posts are refreshingly reasonable and I appreciate your contribution to this board. We're all here to discuss Buffalo Bills football and not the validity of each other's passion. I genuinely believe that the people that are mad at Dabol running Gore 3 straight times at the 1 yard line, are the same people that got mad at Dabol for being "too cute" on the 2 yard line the drive before. When we got to the 1-yard line after the catch from Knox, I said out loud while watching, "Just run the ball with Frank until its a touchdown or 4th down.". That genuinely made the most sense to me, and even sitting here with the hindsight of the results, I STILL think it was the right decision. Frank Gore is a savy vet who's a power runner with as good of ball security as we could ask for.

 

 

Oh, and we have the highest offensive red zone efficiency in the NFL halfway through the season. That's near impossible to do with bad playcalling imo.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

 

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

 

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

 

 

 

 

There's a world of difference between an honest evaluation of the positive and negative of Daboll's game such as yours, and the drunken rage filled vitriol expressed by a number of posters demanding Daboll be fired last Sunday for his performance against Washington. 

The next 8 games are going to tell us a lot about a number of things. None of us really know who is going to improve and rise to the occasion, and who is going to regress. I'm excited to see how it all plays out, and we have the entire off season to talk about the next steps the team needs to make to improve. 

 

What I'd like to see from Daboll is more consistency in his play calling, exploit what is working and getting the ball more into the hands of Smoke, Motor, Bease. I'll wait until the end of the season to makeup my mind whether I think the Bills should bring Daboll back. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with you, but I will say this, even after a win the whiners whine, and there is no mention of the win, or what was done well in their posts, and it’s not an occasional thing, it’s virtually every time they post. Yes it is totally obvious the team needs improvement, and everyone already knows this, but an ada boy now and then would be cool, don’t ya think?

 

Go Bills!!!

 

Absolutely!!  Credit should be given when due ... and there is credit due in EVERY win.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative


This was discussed on WGR yesterday and they said they are not showing any spread now as to limit what upcoming opponents see. Makes sense. 
 

Also, I must admit I trust recent former professional players over someone on a message board. Doesn’t that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:


This was discussed on WGR yesterday and they said they are not showing any spread now as to limit what upcoming opponents see. Makes sense. 
 

Also, I must admit I trust recent former professional players over someone on a message board. Doesn’t that make sense?

I’ve heard that theory before, but common sense makes me question the validity. What are we saving our “secret” offense for? Are we waiting for the Super Bowl? I mean, an NFL team needs to run their offense, and learn how to play in it. “Hiding” an offense just doesn’t make much sense to me. I understand that during the preseason, but that doesn’t make sense during the regular season imo. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve heard that theory before, but common sense makes me question the validity. What are we saving our “secret” offense for? Are we waiting for the Super Bowl? I mean, an NFL team needs to run their offense, and learn how to play in it. “Hiding” an offense just doesn’t make much sense to me. I understand that during the preseason, but that doesn’t make sense during the regular season imo. 


It’s not a secret, it’s the SIMPLE fact of showing upcoming opponents as little of your O as possible when a game is already in hand. 
 

It is exceedingly basic and not sure how it’s hard to grasp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve heard that theory before, but common sense makes me question the validity. What are we saving our “secret” offense for? Are we waiting for the Super Bowl? I mean, an NFL team needs to run their offense, and learn how to play in it. “Hiding” an offense just doesn’t make much sense to me. I understand that during the preseason, but that doesn’t make sense during the regular season imo. 

I mostly agree. My opinion of a perfect offense is one where you produce not when surprising the defense, but when the defense knew what was coming and we still find a mismatch. In the NFL you can't surprise a defense for much longer than a single drive, and if we want sustainability we need to be able to consistently create mismatches out of the same formation.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

 

People keep bringing this up. But I read that sequence as a challenge to the offensive line. That situation is one where you expect that, even with the defense know what is coming, your offensive line can plow the path.  If they get it, that is a huge moral booster. Unfortunately, they just didn't get it.  In any event, its not about scheme there. Its about the challenge. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tasker said yesterday on OBL that the 3 runs up the middle was them likely not willing to put a lot on tape against an inferior opponent with bigger games coming down the stretch, wonder how much validity there is to that.

 

Probably none because it came from Tasker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Daboll is doing fine.

 

The last thing Allen and this franchise needs is another change in offensive coordinator/scheme.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

 

There's a world of difference between an honest evaluation of the positive and negative of Daboll's game such as yours, and the drunken rage filled vitriol expressed by a number of posters demanding Daboll be fired last Sunday for his performance against Washington. 

The next 8 games are going to tell us a lot about a number of things. None of us really know who is going to improve and rise to the occasion, and who is going to regress. I'm excited to see how it all plays out, and we have the entire off season to talk about the next steps the team needs to make to improve. 

 

What I'd like to see from Daboll is more consistency in his play calling, exploit what is working and getting the ball more into the hands of Smoke, Motor, Bease. I'll wait until the end of the season to makeup my mind whether I think the Bills should bring Daboll back. 

 

As a rule, I don't respect two opinions when it comes to OC evaluation: 

 

1. We need to run/pass more! This shows you don't understand the complexity of NFL offenses. 

 

2. Look at the final score! There are so many moving pieces, and so many variables. 

 

There is so much nuance to being an OC, and so much depends on that guys relationship with the QB.  The big things I look at are is the run game working? Is the QB improving? And, are there guys running free in the passing game.  If the answer is yes, all the pieces are there and we just need to work on execution.  But, you expect execution to a problem when you are returning two starters and your QB is a second year project QB. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there can be a distinction between play designer and play caller.  I think Dabol is actually a great play designer, and I think he is an OK play caller.   As a play caller he can make some great calls and then he will have moments of what are we doing, or he tries to get to cute?  I wonder now that Josh is improving his short game and getting a better handle on the offense, if perhaps he should head back upstairs as some people on this board have suggested.  Let Dorsey deal with Josh on the sidelines.  Perhaps with Dabol upstairs with a birds eye view, he can match is play designs with play calling much better.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eagles blowout was directly attributable to Daboll's game plan, which was to saddle up Josh and eschew the run, giving Josh the rock 42 times, Gore/Singletary only 12.  And don't give me "the game was out of hand" crap.  We were within 2 scores until the 4th QTR, so Daboll abandoning the run in the 2nd half was indefensible.  

 

He did appear to learn from that mistake by finally unwrapping Motor, and feeding him the rock all day long against the Skins.  Let's hope Daboll can stay on that path, and realize that Josh is not ready to carry the load yet.  I'm not sold that he can.  Josh is a shiny toy, and Daboll's like a kid who monopolizes his play time with that toy.  Mix Mr. Potatohead and Slinky Dog in with Buzz Lightyear, Dabes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

 

I won't lie, first 2 times I was like "hand that effing ball off" 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Constantly handing off to Gore in short yardage over and over when it doesn't work is BEYOND stupid. And then when Gore breaks out with a good run, he goes to the bench the next play. HE IS TERRIBLE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...