Buffalo Bills Might Be Most Flawed 6-2 Team You’ve Ever Seen

TwistofFate

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How many different iterations of this same ***** story do we need in exclusive threads?  Jesus Harold Christ.

Always wondered what the H stood for. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-might-be-most-flawed-6-2-team-youve-ever-seen/amp/

select quotes:

The Buffalo Bills might be the most flawed 6-2 team you’ve ever seen on an NFL field.

The Bills are off to their best start since 1993, but there is no euphoria among the players or coaching staff. And people are still asking: Are the Bills as good as their record indicates? 

After allowing 218 rushing yards in last week’s 31-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, the Bills gave up 127 yards on the ground to the Redskins, with most of the big gains coming from veteran Adrian Peterson, who rolled up 101 yards on just 10 carries in the first half for an average of better than 10 yards a carry.

The Bills tightened things up in the second half.

It’s not as if the offense has figured things out because Allen has now gone two straight games throwing for fewer than 200 yards. Against the Eagles, Allen threw for 169 yards and against the Redskins he was held to 160 yards in the air.

But Cole Beasley seems to be less of a factor all the time, although his role is being masked because he caught a TD pass for the third straight game, which is the first time that has happened in Buffalo since Charles Clay in 2016.

Beasley continues to run great routes and he’s a great possession receiver. But against the Redskins, Beasley was targeted only twice and caught both passes for only 13 yards – his lowest totals of the season. He has not caught more than four passes in a game since the loss to New England in Week 4, when he hauled in seven passes for 75 yards.

This is not why you signed the former Dallas Cowboys receiver to a four-year, $29 million contract in the off-season. Unless he is hiding an injury, Beasley has to be more involved in the offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-might-be-most-flawed-6-2-team-youve-ever-seen/amp/

Cool story, tell people who actually give a *****. This finding a way to put the Bills down is absolutely tiring. They are 6-2. Live with it, or cry yourself to sleep about it l. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I want a dominant team.   I want dominant performances.   I want a dominant Qb performance, and I want it against a quality team. 

Put one of these hats on, boom your wish is granted. 

https://shop.rolltide.com/mens-new-era-crimson-alabama-crimson-tide-the-league-9forty-adjustable-hat/p-14923098662438+z-9258-1800446362

• Haha (+1) 1

The way I look at it is that the Bills are exceedingly lucky that the schedule is so weak so that QB Josh Allen has a better chance to learn his craft and develop into that elite QB we all want. 

Against Wash, 14 of 20 for 160, 1 TD, 1 rushing TD. QBR 110.4...no turnovers. no designed QB runs either.

Against Philly, 16 of 34 for 169 yards, 2 TDs. QBR  81.6 8 rushes for 45 yards. 3 fumbles, 1 lost. Allen was the leading rusher in this game. sacked 4 times. 8 penalties for 57 yards.

Against Miami, 16 of 26 for 202, 2 TDs. QBR 111.4.  9 penalties for 83 yards. 2 penalties for 20 yards. 

No INTs the last three games. Clearly Allen had his worst game against the Patriots. He is clearly improving as the offensive scheme allows and against the Redskins it showed that if you run the ball more than throwing it (20 pass attempts vs 39 rush attempts) it works very well. 

What do we know so far, the Bills #3 overall defense is weak against the run as Miami exposed flaws in the scheme. While being #3 in passing yards, #2 in passing TDs. They are 20th in rush yards allowed and 24th in rush TDs allowed. The Bills defensive line has some issues.

Although Josh Allen has only been sacked 21 times so far, the Bills offensive line isn't as good as first perceived. They were manhandled by the Eagles and really didn't far so well against the Redskins on the goal line or up the middle with Gore.  

The Bills run defense did look better in the second half against Washington but that might be because they were passing more to catch up and simply didn't run Peterson much in the 3rd, 4th quarters. Time will tell against the Browns as RB Nick Chubb is 4th overall in rushing. 

The thing is, like the Eagles, this 2-6 Cleveland Browns team beat the Baltimore Ravens 40-25 in week four. The Browns have the talent to be world beaters and yet are sucking big!

Baker Nayfield the #1 overall pick is at 58.7 completion percent with 7 TDs, 12 INTs, a QBR of 38.2. 

If the Bills can get the lead and force the Browns to pass they have a really good chance to win this game. They aren't very good against the run either so Buffalo would be smart to run Gore, Singletary as much as they can. 

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I’m surprised how many people here don’t recognize a Greg Roman creation when they see one.

Lamar Jackson is Tyrod Taylor, folks. And it’s ok to admit it.

Not so much. Look at Tyrod under Roman and you see a sensational half a year, his first seven of the 14 games he played in 2015. And then you see that the Bills played the Pats who put forward a blueprint on how to contain Tyrod. And in the second half of the year he was the Tyrod we know, with completion percentages QB ratings and general stats that stayed nearly the same.

From that Pats game on, Tyrod was neutered, and Buffalo lost despite the Bills defense playing really well. Tyrod went 20 for 36 for 233 yards with 0 TDs and 0 INTs and a passer rating of 75.3. And despite the Buffalo D holding New England's offense to 20 points, the Pats beat us 20 - 13.

Whereas with Lamar Jackson, he also played the Pats at about the halfway point. Jackson went 17 for 23 for 13 yards, a TD and no INTs, a 107.7 passer rating. Baltimore won. So far, that's about the opposite of the mid-season turnaround that brought Tyrod back to earth.

QB ratings of 75.3 and 107.7 tell a very different story about Lamar Jackson from what we saw with Tyrod.

Oh, and in those two games, Tyrod had four runs for a total of 1 yard, while Jackson had 16 attempts for 61 yards running.

Could Jackson regress too? Sure. But no sign of it so far whatsoever.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Great points, and I’m guilty of blaming OC’s and DC’s in the past. I’m simply skeptical about Daboll because his previous body of work is less than stellar, and he makes too many mind numbing decisions without running an offense with an identity. I do agree that players need to improve, and Allen has yet to prove he’s the guy. 

Fair points.

I personally think we have an identity, it's just not a very successful one yet. We're a team that's trying to open things up for short to medium passes for Allen and to try to be tough in the run and to run a lot. But I'd argue that not many teams with QBs performing the way Allen is can be said to have a successful identity.

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Thus my last point where his throws seem to have a lot more air under them and he is OVERTHROWING them and missing them, and YES BAD THROWS.   My point on the 50/50 balls is: the Bills in my opinion, don't have the player on the roster who can do it, therefore there aren't really any throws right now in the playbook that say hey go fight for this ball or try and draw a PI.

When a player is open long, a good QB hits him. You don't have to worry about overthrowing them or putting more air under them.

Again, we've had a ton of chances when Bills receivers simply got behind defenders and were open. The throws didn't have to have a lot of air under them.

And as for 50/50 balls, of course we have a guy who can do that. That's precisely Duke Williams' forte. But it's beside the point. If you can get open - and guys like John Brown, McKenzie and two or three times even Zay Jones simply got behind their guys and were way open - you don't need to win 50/50 balls. You just need a QB who can hit the 100/0 throws. And yeah that's tougher on deep balls, but not 0 for 13 tough.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I’m surprised how many people here don’t recognize a Greg Roman creation when they see one.

Lamar Jackson is Tyrod Taylor, folks. And it’s ok to admit it.

I have the same belief, sir.

This kids flaws are being hidden well, right now...just like how Tyrod was all the rage for awhile.

He's dangerous with his legs, for sure. But I can definitely see him getting figured out. And his style of play may get him carted off the field sooner than later.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's selling Lamar Jackson way short, GoBills.  He is both a better passer and a better runner than TT.

But if your point is that Greg Roman has dusted off one of the best systems for a dual threat QB, plugged LJax into it and tweaked it to fit, you're right.

That system has had sustainability issues in the past. An injury could completely derail it. I’m reserving final thoughts until Jackson shows he can dominate a decent defense without running or somehow manages not to get hurt for years.... If I’m an opposing D coach I’m preaching option rules to my DEs.... Hit the QB every play, even if he pitches the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That system has had sustainability issues in the past. An injury could completely derail it. I’m reserving final thoughts until Jackson shows he can dominate a decent defense without running or somehow manages not to get hurt for years.... If I’m an opposing D coach I’m preaching option rules to my DEs.... Hit the QB every play, even if he pitches the ball. 

Sounds like a recipe for a lot of free 15 yds and 1st down "roughing" calls against your team.  Pitching the ball counts as a pass by NFL rules.

You're absolutely correct that an injury could derail it, but pocket passing QB get injured, too.

I think the sustainability issue is more around will defenses solve it and figure out a way to shut it down?  Because I think that happened in SF and in B'lo.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That’s what eventually wore Kaepernik down. It was plain to see that DCs were coaching their guys to hit him on every option play. If he was your key, you smacked him, regardless whether he kept the ball or not. That said, it’s hard to hit what you can’t catch and Jackson is just so elusive. But it’s only a matter of time before somebody gets that clean shot. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like a recipe for a lot of free 15 yds and 1st down "roughing" calls against your team.  Pitching the ball counts as a pass by NFL rules.

You're absolutely correct that an injury could derail it, but pocket passing QB get injured, too.

I think the sustainability issue is more around will defenses solve it and figure out a way to shut it down?  Because I think that happened in SF and in B'lo.

Not if it’s a lateral it doesn’t. The ball must be moving forward to count as a pass. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule provided for in (a) above, and the protection against a low hit provided for in (e) above, but he remains covered by all the other special protections afforded to a passer in the pocket (b, c, d, and f), as well as the regular unnecessary roughness rules”. 

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/

I couldn’t find the section that refers to pitches. Perhaps my interpretation is skewed by watching college ball, but in an option play the QB counts as a runner attempting to advance the ball. He’s fair game, particularly if running the ball close to the LOS. 

14 hours ago, BillsFanForReal said:

Josh Allen wasn't "held" to 160 yards. He could've easily had more, but didn't due to play calling. Maybe these reporters should watch the games. 

I thought sunday was one of his most clean games ever. He picked Washington apart. The Bills were running well, so they kept running it 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s what eventually wore Kaepernik down. It was plain to see that DCs were coaching their guys to hit him on every option play. If he was your key, you smacked him, regardless whether he kept the ball or not. That said, it’s hard to hit what you can’t catch and Jackson is just so elusive. But it’s only a matter of time before somebody gets that clean shot. 

It’s going to happen eventually. The NFL has done a good job of getting unnecessary roughness out of the game, but if they tell defenses they can’t hit QBs even when they threaten a run there’s going to be a problem. 

plus, there’s always a Burfict in the league

Edited by Buffalo Junction

Yes they are flawed but what’s been completely overlooked is that they are NOT winning with fluke gimmicks, turnovers or trick plays. They’re just winning. Solid, disciplined, football. In fact it can be said that turnovers have gone against them...but they’re still winning anyway! If they can ever get that element turned around and flip the field now and then....look out!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I will ignore the desperate search for negative material, and just focus on the positive. See BOLDED.

Nobody said it was a finished product, but I’ll take it so far. 

Such a stupid comment, too, or at least the way it is worded.

McDermott:  "I gotta tell ya, the feeling of euphoria around this locker room is infectious, and it is just what we are looking for out of our team and players.  I always tell my guys, 'feel that euphoria and just run with it', and it hasn't failed me as a coach yet."

I know, I know, but that's the way it is sort of written.  Stick with something like, "fans are playing it safe (or are cautious) with their love for this team."  Just something other than what was written.

13 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I almost died at the term "kindergarten doodle of an article" priceless bahahaha

I know, right?  

I, for one, am extremely disappointed with Beasely scoring a td in each of the last three games.

13 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Lamar Jackson is kicking Josh Allen's ass so far this season.

because of his 324 yards 5 TD game against the Dolphins. It's really inflated his numbers on the whole. Yet some of those formulas are flawed as QBR has Josh as the 31st best QB yet he has more TDs and less INTs than someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick who somehow ranks 13th and think most agree that he's not that good nor is Josh that bad.