Drew Bledsoe debate topic

I think overall, Drew Bledsoe had a pretty decent NFL career.  He had some good years but also a lot of meh years...and bad years.

He was the #1 overall pick.  Do you guys think in his overall career, he was a disappointment?  Certainly not a bust but not having the career you want from a #1 overall.

I have arguments for both.  

On one hand, he did play a big part in the change of the Pats.  They were absolutely terrible before he got there.  A few years later, brought them to a Super Bowl.  

On the other hand...he had a lot of bad years.  He started struggling towards the end of his career in NE and Belicheck saw it...which is why he felt good enough to trade him inside his division.

His Bills career was a disappointment as was his career in Dallas....he was still relatively young when he came to Buffalo too.

I am going to say yes...he was a disappointment.  At #1 overall as a QB, I think you're supposed to be the guy the holds that position for 10+ years and you make a significant difference and didn't have enough of that.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think overall, Drew Bledsoe had a pretty decent NFL career.  He had some good years but also a lot of meh years...and bad years.

He was the #1 overall pick.  Do you guys think in his overall career, he was a disappointment?  Certainly not a bust but not having the career you want from a #1 overall.

On one hand, he did play a big part in the change of the Pats.  They were absolutely terrible before he got there.  A few years later, brought them to a Super Bowl.  

On the other hand...he had a lot of bad years.  He started struggling towards the end of his career in NE and Belicheck saw it...which is why he felt good enough to trade him inside his division.

His Bills career was a disappointment as was his career in Dallas....he was still relatively young when he came to Buffalo too.

I am going to say yes...he was a disappointment.  At #1 overall as a QB, I think you're supposed to be the guy the holds that position for 10+ years and you make a significant difference and didn't have enough of that.

When you think of a Statue as QB you think of him. Was a disappointment for sure...

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

When you think of a Statue as QB you think of him. Was a disappointment for sure...

He was very good his first year in Buffalo but that didn't last - he became a statue in the pocket and had zero mobility and began holding the ball too long.  Not making the playoffs here with him at QB certainly was a disappointment, (especially when the Steelers beat us with their 3rd team in a must win late season game to make post season)......I blame the curse of number 11 on that.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 2

I’ve been pretty outspoken on my thoughts on Bledsoe when he was with the Bills. If you take out the 1st 8 games that he played here he’s pretty much the same guy as Losman, Edwards, EJ, etc... If you don’t believe me, pull up the numbers. 

With that being said he had a few nice years prior to coming to Buffalo. I wouldn’t say that he was a total bust like Jamarcus Russell or David Carr but his career is closer to Alex Smith than Peyton Manning. He was an okay NFL QB for about 5 years and then a bad NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Only 15 QBs in the 100 year history of the NFL passed for more yards than Bledsoe.   And he's a 4 time Pro Bowler.   He outperformed most 1st round QBs.  

He's not a HOFer but he's far from being a bust.  I guess he's a disappointment if you have really high/unrealistic expectations of QBs drafted early.  

• Like (+1) 16

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He is in the Patriots Hall of Fame, so up here we think he did a good job, but he also was a stand up man when he lost his job to Brady. He still did his job, he helped Brady whenever he could AND he won that game against Pittsburg when Brady went down.

that was my second favorite playoff run right after the one in 1986 with Tony Eason, and HOF John Hannah.. that was a magical one that got me into football.. (squish the fish, “Raymond Berry and the Pats” song lol)   Lol makes me wonder what made everyone a fan of their favorite team.. lol

bit I regress Bledsoe was a good QB, he was NEVER mobile, had a cannon for an arm which stunk for short passes.  But more importantly he is a good guy and teammate. 

• Like (+1) 4

Drew Bledsoe always worried me when he played against the Bills.

Drew Bledsoe always worried me when he played for the Bills.

Jokes aside, he made Peerless Price look like a 1st round WR, and EMo like a HOF'er. And that was after he was sent packing by the Pats.

I believe the Pats would have made it to and won the Super Bowl the year Bledsoe got injured if he'd remained the starting QB. I honestly believe he was a better QB than Brady at that point. Brady was...more cerebral? Maybe, although Bledsoe was/is a very smart person and football player. 

Regardless, Bledsoe's career was not in any way a disappointment. I guess Marino was a disappointment too, then.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Footage of Drew Bledsoe in the backfield 

i'd like something between the Bledsoe Statue and the Run For Your Life One Second after the dropback of EJM/TT/JA

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@TwistofFate and @Billsfan1972 say that he filled up the stat sheet.  Nothing more needs to be said.

• Haha (+1) 1

Not what you're exactly looking for here... but remember a shootout against the Vikes in his first or 2nd year here. That's one of my fav games ever. I was a kid so I know my vision is distorted of it, but I feel like moulds and price both had 150yds in that game and the whole offense had tds! I dont care what the specifics are cause I was young but I never forgot the feel of that game. Our offense was pretty good that year, with an awful D

• Like (+1) 1

Bledsoe a disappointment? I’d say no. He made the Patriots ( who were a complete  joke of a franchise at the time: a fact many of their current followers don’t know ) relevant and even went to a Super Bowl. The NFL game changed a lot around him, and his lack of mobility ended his effectiveness as a QB. While not a HOF player ( imo) he was more than good enough to turn a team that had become a punchline around into a winner. 

• Like (+1) 4

The Bills completely mishandled him. Bledsoe was a stationary pocket passer with a great arm and ability to spread the ball around, but he wasn't buying any extra time. He could be effective in the right offense, but the Bills weren't interested in running that offense.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bledsoe a disappointment? I’d say no. He made the Patriots ( who were a complete  joke of a franchise at the time: a fact many of their current followers don’t know ) relevant and even went to a Super Bowl. The NFL game changed a lot around him, and his lack of mobility ended his effectiveness as a QB. While not a HOF player ( imo) he was more than good enough to turn a team that had become a punchline around into a winner. 

Very well said!  Between him and Parcells and Kraft they brought a laughing stock franchise.. (one that was always rumored may move to LA) into a contender.  You are also right a lot of the fan base doesn’t remember that.  I remind myself anyone under 35 has no memory of those bad days.  

15 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Not what you're exactly looking for here... but remember a shootout against the Vikes in his first or 2nd year here. That's one of my fav games ever. I was a kid so I know my vision is distorted of it, but I feel like moulds and price both had 150yds in that game and the whole offense had tds! I dont care what the specifics are cause I was young but I never forgot the feel of that game. Our offense was pretty good that year, with an awful D

That was a great game. Mike Hollis hitting a 54 yarder off the cross bar to send it to overtime. 

in fact that first year it felt like every game in the first half of the season went into overtime haha. 

• Like (+1) 1

Drew came back from one of the hardest hits in NFL history, and damage was horrible as well

That and the Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall hits on Montana were the worst

the concept of body blows ending a fight in boxing seem worse to me than head shot KOs

Edited by row_33

Bledsoe's lifetime record and numbers vs. teams with a winning record was truly abysmal. Unfortunately, I can't find that information on the internet anymore, so I'd have to reconstruct it from PFR. Too much work, but trust me, it's true. 

He had a good career.   You can probably put him in the same category as Boomer Esiason.  He put up pretty good numbers, made it to the Super Bowl, started a lot of games and won more games than he lost.   Problem is the new way of thinking tends to be if your quarterback isnt elite he sucks, there is no middle ground anymore.

Food for thought, if you put Bledsoe on the 90's Bills is there a huge drop off in the eventual outcome of the team?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1