Middle of the Bills D

dorquemada

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Edmunds isnt used in that way by frazier...frazier is misusing talent and its sooo frustrating to see...frazier is asking his lbers to drop back into soft zones 8 to 10 yards downfield...like wtf

No. Edmunds is running towards the line every play. He just attacks the wrong gap way, way too often..

Teams will continue to attack whats working..frazier needs to take mcdermott philosophy of a downhill attack to the ball defense..enkugh with running away from the balll to your desiganted spot bull####!...stop putting our lbers and safeties into zones and let the whole defense flow to the ball...i think a more man to man with read and react lbers are whats needed

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No. Edmunds is running towards the line every play. He just attacks the wrong gap way, way too often..

I seen him 8 or more yards downfield way too many times last week and today

Bring poyer and hyde up also on obvious passing downs with run blitzes...i mean wtf

• Like (+1) 1

Teams are no longer doubling Star. Not quite sure what took them so long. We're gonna have to switch some things up. I thought McDermott was thoroughly outcoached TODAY by Pederson. The Eagles offense was consistently a step ahead of the Eagles.

Just a terrible day all around. Win the next one.

Just now, Billever76 said:

Go and watch the tape. He is close enough to the line. He is just in the wrong gap. Time and again. I thought there was improvement to start the year but there has been major regression the last two weeks. Until the Bills get that figured out they are going to be run on..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Bring poyer and hyde up also on obvious passing downs with run blitzes...i mean wtf

There's too much gimmick in both the O & D

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Go and watch the tape. He is close enough to the line. He is just in the wrong gap. Time and again. I thought there was improvement to start the year but there has been major regression the last two weeks. Until the Bills get that figured out they are going to be run on..

I must have yelled it 5 times today "he's in the wrong g-d gap again!" while my wife and son roll their eyes.  still true though

4 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Edmunds isnt used in that way by frazier...frazier is misusing talent and its sooo frustrating to see...frazier is asking his lbers to drop back into soft zones 8 to 10 yards downfield...like wtf

Frazier can't account for MLB Edmunds constantly mis-reading and missing tackles. Seems to me, he's lost out there and worse... plays soft. Not sure if he's an answer at one of the OLB spots but I've seen enough now to know he's not the answer at MLB.

Wood brought up an excellent point on the radio broadcast.  He said that the Ertz/Goedert combo made it very difficult for Bills to match up because that kept Lorax on the sidelines and gave more playing time to Marlowe.   Eagles then countered with the run and the hurry up offense to keep the Bills D lineup the same.

Imagine the flexibility and options Frazier would have if Milano and Edmunds were outside backers?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Peko is not the answer. I’d like to get a look at Big Vinny on the practice squad. Supposedly his strength is against the run. Hated the the Peko call up at the time and I hate it now. 

Completely agree. Watched Peko in the preseason and he was weak. Try out Vincent. Let Oliver wander more like I thought they were going to do day 1. And put some muscle on Edmund's. But with all this said, the game was lost on Dumbells call resulting in another Allen fumble. This offense will continue to struggle under Dumbell....

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Wood brought up an excellent point on the radio broadcast.  He said that the Ertz/Goedert combo made it very difficult for Bills to match up because that kept Lorax on the sidelines and gave more playing time to Marlowe.   Eagles then countered with the run and the hurry up offense to keep the Bills D lineup the same.

Imagine the flexibility and options Frazier would have if Milano and Edmunds were outside backers?

Milano and Edmunds are OLB's. This team does not have a true MLB thumper who can read gaps and stand up a rb. McD will continue to insist Tremaine is a mlb. But he's not. And Star needs to be phased out. Jordan can't cover it all.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree our line needs help l always thought star was a terrible pick up, that being said our offense is horrible, Josh Allen cannot see the field he can’t read defenses l feel Daboll is not putting him in good position toward his strength, and if l see mc clap dermont clapping instead of getting in these faces I’m going to puke.This should definitely be called the exposion game.  I think we win next week against redskins but l feel more exposure is to come. Hey Mr. Beane pull out the red phone and bring in some help before it’s to late.

22 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

That's been true all along. I know the Bills website has been gaslighting the fanbase about Allen and Edmunds because we gave up so much to get them, but the sad truth is that neither of them is very good. Oliver has been a disappointment and I see no upward trend with him. He has been invisible all year. Jordan Phillips is the ONLY DT on this team that is playing well at all. Murphy is awful too.

I really think Beane is the biggest problem at OBD. For all the accolades he got in the offseason, the fact remains that he hasn't drafted well at all. His FA signings aren't all that impressive either.

This is just 1 loss, but we've had such an easy schedule and have struggled to beat poor teams. The Eagles exposed us as a very beatable team today.

Oliver was a slam dunk pick that anyone makes. Edmunds was a bad pick. He had a mythical status regarding his athleticism but it really only appeared in straight line speed. I always thought it was sketchy that he didn't do any of the other drills at the combine, makes me think he knew he wouldnt perform well. Edmunds was slightly faster straight line at the combine but Vander Esch killed it in every other drill, the drills edmunds elected not to perform. Oh and Vander Esch actually looked good on tape it wasn't based on him capitalizing on his overhyped size and speed. I was pleasantly surprised when Edmunds looked competent earlier in the year but back to whack past couple weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Once game tape is available I would be interested to see which DT was the liability in run game, major concern now for the defense if they can’t play run downs

Plus tackling sucks we hit guys and they end up six or seven yards more.  Is star even on the team?  Without Milano was good x use last week but this week edmunds is getting g caught between the big bodies again.  

I’m all for moving Tremaine to the outside and drafting a natural MLB next year. Tremaine could continue calling the D until the rookie is ready. Also need at least one legit run stuffing DT. Harrison Phillips is close to being that, but I’d love someone like Damon “Snacks” Harrison since Mt. Washington can’t be cloned.

54 minutes ago, wppete said:

Oliver and Edmunds are very concerning. 

Edmunds has been hot and cold with his block shedding - it’s really hurt us across the stretch, but he still has phenomenal games where it’s not even an issue. Milano had a rougher game overall today as well, and was asked to shoulder more than he could in that regard. Wallace also had a tough game a second week in a row. Oliver however has done exactly what he was drafted to do - he’s a 3T DT asked to penetrate and pressure the QB. He’s done exactly this to the tune of top 5 in the league in QB pressures and affected plays. The greater issue is...*

53 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Dont forget Harrison Phillips on IR. That really stung the most on my opinion. That was his role.

*this.^ Star has regressed in his 1T DT role, which Harry actually surpassed him in performance and was our starting 1T DT. When healthy he was becoming more confident and consistent in eating up interior lineman and making negative yard first contact on interior runs. We simply lack the depth behind him now with Star not playing out. I’d like to see us make a move to help us out for a potential playoff run, even more so than WR. With consistent up front performance Edmunds will have less pressure to shed blocks, but will still need to be an area of improvement for him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Edmunds has been hot and cold with his block shedding - it’s really hurt us across the stretch, but he still has phenomenal games where it’s not even an issue. Milano had a rougher game overall today as well, and was asked to shoulder more than he could in that regard. Wallace also had a tough game a second week in a row. Oliver however has done exactly what he was drafted to do - he’s a 3T DT asked to penetrate and pressure the QB. He’s done exactly this to the tune of top 5 in the league in QB pressures and affected plays. The greater issue is...*

*this.^ Star has regressed in his 1T DT role, which Harry actually surpassed him in performance and was our starting 1T DT. When healthy he was becoming more confident and consistent in eating up interior lineman and making negative yard first contact on interior runs. We simply lack the depth behind him now with Star not playing out. I’d like to see us make a move to help us out for a potential playoff run, even more so than WR. With consistent up front performance Edmunds will have less pressure to shed blocks, but will still need to be an area of improvement for him. 

.I must have missed the pressure. 

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I’m all for moving Tremaine to the outside and drafting a natural MLB next year. Tremaine could continue calling the D until the rookie is ready. Also need at least one legit run stuffing DT. Harrison Phillips is close to being that, but I’d love someone like Damon “Snacks” Harrison since Mt. Washington can’t be cloned.

I’d be shocked if they ever moved Edmunds to OLB. Not saying they shouldn’t, but McD is incredibly stubborn. He values guys that do it “the right way”. I’m not saying it’s the best option, but I might try

the following:

1. bring big vin up from the PS and cut Peko. 
2. put Corey Thompson at MLB and move Tremaine to OLB. Milano, Thompson, and Edmunds are our best LBs. 

3. move Lorenzo to defensive end more frequently to get Murphy out of there (more frequently). 
4. give shaq a few more looks inside at DT. I like his aggression. 

2 and 3 will never happen. 

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

.I must have missed the pressure. 

Do you actually watch any games or better, the All22s before you form your firm opinions?

Oliver is by far not the biggest problem with this D

Just now, TheProcess said:

I’d be shocked if they ever moved Edmunds to OLB. Not saying they shouldn’t, but McD is incredibly stubborn. He values guys that do it “the right way”. I’m not saying it’s the best option, but I might try

the following:

1. bring big vin up from the PS and cut Peko. 
2. put Corey Thompson at MLB and move Tremaine to OLB. Milano, Thompson, and Edmunds are our best LBs. 

3. move Lorenzo to defensive end more frequently to get Murphy out of there (more frequently). 
4. give shaq a few more looks inside at DT. I like his aggression. 

2 and 3 will never happen. 

This should be the most logical moves work the pieces already in place. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

Oliver was a slam dunk pick that anyone makes. Edmunds was a bad pick. He had a mythical status regarding his athleticism but it really only appeared in straight line speed. I always thought it was sketchy that he didn't do any of the other drills at the combine, makes me think he knew he wouldnt perform well. Edmunds was slightly faster straight line at the combine but Vander Esch killed it in every other drill, the drills edmunds elected not to perform. Oh and Vander Esch actually looked good on tape it wasn't based on him capitalizing on his overhyped size and speed. I was pleasantly surprised when Edmunds looked competent earlier in the year but back to whack past couple weeks.

I wouldn't have made that pick. Small defensive tackles almost never win games. Playmakers do. Up until this week our defense was "elite". Welp...we face a good offense and just like that we suck. Meanwhile, we have 1 maybe 2 middle-of-the-road WRs that are open sometimes and a young, promising RB who we refuse to use as A F'IN RB. But hey...we got Gore so all is good

4 minutes ago, BigBobby said:

I wouldn't have made that pick. Small defensive tackles almost never win games. Playmakers do. Up until this week our defense was "elite". Welp...we face a good offense and just like that we suck. Meanwhile, we have 1 maybe 2 middle-of-the-road WRs that are open sometimes and a young, promising RB who we refuse to use as A F'IN RB. But hey...we got Gore so all is good

They are hoping he is a playmaker in the form of geno atkins and aaron donald. I agree we absolutely need a #1 type wr you can rely on to make the catch. I like Brown and he was a good pickup but he is not the 1a type guy who makes contested catches.

Is Lorax Big enough and tough enough to stop the middle, realize Star is a problem, but 2 outa three ain't bad?  Move the speed guys outside.  Agree this D 

misses Horrible Harry.

Edited by BearNorth

19 minutes ago, BigBobby said:

Heard of a guy named Aaron Donald?

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

We need to commit our lbers and safeties in run support more often..we need a totally new base defense other than cover two....i hate that defense with a passion..teams have long since firgured it out

I think you will find the pass defense plummet in effectiveness if you are locked up in man coverage with a single high safety most of the time. They don't have the right DBs for that kind of scheme. Who is Wallace going to cover in man coverage all game?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We have two 1 Tech run stuffers who can't stop the run. 

We have a MLB who lives in the wrong gap and when he is in the right gap gets knocked back 5 yards with contact.

And Micah Hyde had probably his worst game as a Bill. 

Meanwhile the pass rush on Wentz's first 20 dropbacks had 9 pressures, 3 hurries and a sack. Yes the pass rush tired as the game went on they were on the field too much. The first half and a bit Lawson, Phillips and Oliver were causing Wentz to throw out of rhythm. 

And that is just the defense. I will get to the offense later. 

Don't get to the offense it will just make you sick. 

• Haha (+1) 1