Are there any Debbie Downers in your family?

Another Fan

That would be me.  

Whenever I have a preference for any result in any facet of my life, I immediately assume that things will not turn out the way I want.  It doesn’t matter if it’s something important or something trivial. 

Drives my wife crazy. 

But I don’t act that way in public, it’s generally only when I’m talking to my wife. 

Most of my professional work is cases of fraud and divorce and damages calculations, a lot of criminal defense the last decade, which can give me a jaundiced views of the world.

My sardonic sense of humour has to be held back sometimes in work and real life.

But I always encourage people in their endeavours unless it seems to be 100% horrible or fatal....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Most of my professional work is cases of fraud and divorce and damages calculations, a lot of criminal defense the last decade, which can give me a jaundiced views of the world.

My sardonic sense of humour has to be held back sometimes in work and real life.

But I always encourage people in their endeavours unless it seems to be 100% horrible or fatal....

Two guys I grew up with worked together. The are life-long friends as their houses were side-by-side. One was a police officer & the other was a social worker. The cop’s detail was to work with the other guy to coordinate when a child or children needed to be taken from parents who cannot, y’know, parent.

They’re both doing other things now. That’s a tough job and not a lot a people can do it for long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HopsGuy said:

Two guys I grew up with worked together. The are life-long friends as their houses were side-by-side. One was a police officer & the other was a social worker. The cop’s detail was to work with the other guy to coordinate when a child or children needed to be taken from parents who cannot, y’know, parent.

They’re both doing other things now. That’s a tough job and not a lot a people can do it for long.

I don't know how people can entire the firestorm as it goes down for crime or divorce or child custody or other trauma.

Both jobs are up there for my respect for those who care and give their best for their working careers.

It's bad enough in the aftermath trying to get a settlement in my work.

------------------------------------------------------

A few people in my life have nursed a grudge (and there is no question they were very unfairly dealt with) and they have over decades ruined family, their health, their careers and carry a cloud of resentful poison in everything they do.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I always see the description of sardonic being used when describing Bob Newhart.

9 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I had to read that slowly, and at least twice...I wasn’t sure if it was a backhanded slam against your wife.  If your wife needs, I apologize proactively, and profusely.  ?

They're not from West Virginia.

:beer:

And thanks for the offer, but I apologize pretty good :flirt:.  How about I apologize for you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I always see the description of sardonic being used when describing Bob Newhart.

he's decently adjusted, the patient played by Jack Riley sure isn't

geez but Jack got around on small roles and directing...

My dad. I call him after every Bills game, and he's always got something to complain about, no matter how we win. He's quite knowledgeable about sports, so he knows what he's talking about. He's not a member here, but would actually fit in quite well. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

I love my mother to death but when she arrives at the house in the morning to get the kids off to school most conversations start along the lines of "Did you hear about those kids on the news who were tortured and killed?" " I know this dog is going to take out my knee one day" "I had to really yell at those kids, you need to make them clean up after themselves.......have a good day. Love ya"

9 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Buffalo Bills GIF - Buffalo Bills Johnbrown GIFs

i'd say even a little more upbeat.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Both of my parents.  

I was at their house last week to watch the game.  I ate too many appetizers before the game where I didn’t feel like lunch anymore.  My dad told me I was selfish and ruined the Sunday meal because I wasn’t hungry.

he did not.

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Both of my parents.  

I was at their house last week to watch the game.  I ate too many appetizers before the game where I didn’t feel like lunch anymore.  My dad told me I was selfish and ruined the Sunday meal because I wasn’t hungry.

Oh heavens....no wonder you have an alchohol problem. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Oh heavens....no wonder you have an alchohol problem. 

My dad can be the biggest ####### in the world.  My high school baseball coach once asked me after practice if I wanted my dad banned from games.

My dad would sit in his fold out chair next to the dugout and if I had a bad at bat or game...he would literally talk trash to me.  Other parents felt sorry for me and talked to the coach.  I said no just because it would cause more problems at home.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad can be the biggest ####### in the world.  My high school baseball coach once asked me after practice if I wanted my dad banned from games.

My dad would sit in his fold out chair next to the dugout and if I had a bad at bat or game...he would literally talk trash to me.  Other parents felt sorry for me and talked to the coach.  I said no just because it would cause more problems at home.  

Great.....now I feel like a dick. If it makes you feel any better, my dad and I were out in the bay once when I was about 9. I was treading water because I couldn't touch the ground. He couldnt swim well and lost is footing. In an effort to keep from going under he used my head to steady himself and pushed me under the water until he regained his balance. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Great.....now I feel like a dick. If it makes you feel any better, my dad and I were out in the bay once when I was about 9. I was treading water because I couldn't touch the ground. He couldnt swim well and lost is footing. In an effort to keep from going under he used my head to steady himself and pushed me under the water until he regained his balance. 

when i was 8 i was a soccer goalie and during warmups one night my father just ripped into me fiercely and i started crying and 3 other fathers came over and told him to cut it out

that net looks a lot larger when you are in the midst of that...

19 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm fine.  My dad has been an ####### my whole life so I'm used to it.  I'm less angry now as I get older because I'm learning my dad just can't help it.  He has zero impulse control.  He's overall a good person but doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.  My uncle started sharing stories with me about my dad when he was younger.....he's always been this way.  It was hard to go out with bars with my dad when he was younger because he always wanted to fight other people.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm fine.  My dad has been an ####### my whole life so I'm used to it.  I'm less angry now as I get older because I'm learning my dad just can't help it.  He has zero impulse control.  He's overall a good person but doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.  My uncle started sharing stories with me about my dad when he was younger.....he's always been this way.  It was hard to go out with bars with my dad when he was younger because he always wanted to fight other people.

Yes I can relate. My father was no prince either.