Thurs. night football: Giants at Pats 8:20 ET (Fox, NFLN))

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My thoughts having just watched:

Giants:

- Daniel Jones has had his struggles the last two games but there are still moments of encouragement. The question I had coming out though still exists.... how much of a playmaker can he be when he is behind the sticks? 2nd and long and 3rd and long when you have to make some of those big boy NFL throws into tight windows. That is what I am still not seeing.

- Where are the running backs are a dime a dozen crowd? Those two fellas running the rock for the Giants last night had as much explosion as a defunct cabbage patch. 

- Pat Shrumur's use of challenges - LOL

Patriots:

- The defense and special teams are responsible for them winning right now. The defense is sustainable because it is for real. The special teams are not going to score a touchdown every week though.

- The offense has problems and it starts up front. They have lost too many pieces on that line and it shows. First half we saw the same as we saw in the Bills game - Brady letting the ball go even quicker than normal out of rhythm, throwing the timing off with his receivers because he was worried about being hit. The two occasions he held it he had a strip fumble and a viscous sack. The Giants were not able to keep that up for the whole game because they don't have the Dline depth the Bills have to rotate through and so Brady got a little more comfortable in the 2nd half but there is no doubt in my mind that this offense is struggling, Brady is struggling, the only reliable guys he has are Edelman and White and the line is a mess. 

- I know New England are 6-0 but they do not look like a 6-0 team. They, like the Bills, are benefitting from an easy AFCE schedule this year but this is not a team that is going to finish 16-0 or even 14-2. There are multiple defeats to come. The road to the Superbowl in the AFC will once again run through Arrowhead. 

I agree with most of this but the Patriots usually get stronger as the season progresses.  They'll address the o-line and WR position one way or another.  They'll get some starters back and pry trade for some upgrades.

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Brady, Patriots bailed out by D on way to 6-0 start

A blocked punt returned for a touchdown and a fumble recovery brought back for a score helped the Pats beat...

I didn't watch much.  I kept checking only to the score rise and rise for the bad guys.  

Tom Brady was 31/41 for 334 yds, ZERO TD's, 1 INT, QBR 42.7, RTG 88.9  and 2 Fumbles losing 1 

Is the end neigh? 

person-with-folded-hands_1f64f.png

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

A blocked punt returned for a touchdown and a fumble recovery brought back for a score helped the Pats beat...

I didn't watch much.  I kept checking only to the score rise and rise for the bad guys.  

Tom Brady was 31/41 for 334 yds, ZERO TD's, 1 INT, QBR 42.7, RTG 88.9  and 2 Fumbles losing 1 

And 2 rushing tds.

17 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

“Rushing TDs”

Missed opportunities during the scrum I say

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Is the end neigh?

It was a very close game despite the blocked punt and all Jone's INTs until the Giants D wore down from overuse and the refs seemed to take their usual stand for NE.  I swear those guys all must have bets on the Patsies. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

“Rushing TDs”

Yep, that's what I said. They count just as much s passing tds. Pretty sure we celebrated Josh's rushing tds. If Josh had those #'s and people complain, defenders would quickly point out the rushing tds. I would be happy with those #s, as long as the rushing tds were included. "Just win , baby".

Edited by Dopey

54 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

at ravens, eagles

home cowboys 

at texans

home chiefs

If the pats play like they did last night all those teams beat them.  

Nah, Belichick will shut down QB’s like Prescott, Wentz, and Jackson. We also play those three QB’s this season, and I’m not afraid of any of them. Dallas scares me the most being a Thanksgiving Day game. All of those games are very winnable for a team with an elite defense. I’m not saying the Pats will win all those games, but the Texans, Ravens, Eagles, and Cowboys are all very winnable games. The Chiefs game will be the most interesting imo 

Edited by SirAndrew

10 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Yep, that's what I said. They count just as much s passing tds. Pretty sure we celebrated Josh's rushing tds.

I was solely speaking to Passing Stats. 

Even with the 2 rushing TD's his Ratings are bad

Tom Brady  QBR 42.7   and a  RTG of  88.9   That's like Josh's bad numbers and its been at least twice Tom has been that bad this season. 

For the season .....  QBR of  57.3  ans a RAT of 97.5   

Mahomie has ratings of   82.9  and 114.7   

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was a very close game despite the blocked punt and all Jone's INTs until the Giants D wore down from overuse and the refs seemed to take their usual stand for NE.

This is the truth. They got to Brady* a lot last night and like the Bills, the QB was the reason for the loss. Better QB play by just a little and Giants would definitely have been in it at the end.

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Nah, Belichick will shut down QB’s like Prescott, Wentz, and Jackson. All of those games are very winnable for a team with an elite defense. I’m not saying the Pats will win all those games, but the Texans, Ravens, Eagles, and Cowboys are all very winnable games. The Chiefs game will be the most interesting imo 

i'm not saying they will lose all those games but those are experiences qbs and offenses that have a lot more weapons than we did or the giants did last night.  Also teams with strong d lines and can put up points. 

Brady is missing bad with medium passes, and even short passes to the sideline.  That is a first and seems to be systemic.

He did complete a lot, but many seemed to be within a couple yards of the line of scrimmage.   The Giants were blitzing and they were throwing a lot of little screens.

What was the average in-the-air distance of the completed passes?

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i'm not saying they will lose all those games but those are experiences qbs and offenses that have a lot more weapons than we did or the giants did last night.  Also teams with strong d lines and can put up points. 

I get that, I’m just saying that Belichick is still a defensive mastermind. Wentz, Prescott, and Jackson are all insanely overrated. It isn’t tough to imagine Belichick making them look bad. 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I was solely speaking to Passing Stats. 

Even with the 2 rushing TD's his Ratings are bad

Tom Brady  QBR 42.7   and a  RTG of  88.9   That's like Josh's bad numbers and its been at least twice Tom has been that bad this season. 

For the season .....  QBR of  57.3  ans a RAT of 97.5   

Gotcha. The injuries to the line should worry the Pats. That's the main issue, but they also lost Gronk in the off season. There's a reason they signed AB(glad it backfired). I think Tom is still an upper echelon QB and can be for another 2 yrs. Trust me, I hate the thought of that. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Agree. I think they lose at least 3. More likely 4 or even 5. I think most likely they lose to the Chiefs, Eagles and Texans. Because I think those 3 will find ways to score even on that great defense. And unless something significant changes up front I don't see the Pats winning many shoot outs. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I get that, I’m just saying that Belichick is still a defensive mastermind. Wentz, Prescott, and Jackson are all insanely overrated. It isn’t tough to imagine Belichick making them look bad. 

Agreed on the bold. I am interested to see how this year's Pats d handles the Chefs. They scored 40 on the Pats in the playoff game last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Brady is missing bad with medium passes, and even short passes to the sideline.  That is a first and seems to be systemic.

He did complete a lot, but many seemed to be within a couple yards of the line of scrimmage.   The Giants were blitzing and they were throwing a lot of little screens.

What was the average in-the-air distance of the completed passes?

He is missing on those intermediate routes primarily because the timing is off. He is getting rid of it crazy early at times because he does not trust his protection. He is putting the ball where it should be but the timing with the receivers is off and so they are not in the right spots yet to catch it. It is a very real problem and it absolutely starts up front. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Agreed on the bold. I am interested to see how this year's Pats d handles the Chefs. They scored 40 on the Pats in the playoff game last year. 

Yeah, I agree with the posters who say the Pats will lose a few games this year. I believe that to be true,  but who really expects them to go 16-0? Just because they lose a few doesn’t mean they aren’t contenders. I’m not going to celebrate because the Pats look “vulnerable”. What does that even mean? I would be celebrating if they had a terrible record, and the dynasty was clearly over. The Chiefs and Pats are the only real AFC contenders, with a few teams who have potential to contend on the outside. 

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Gotcha. The injuries to the line should worry the Pats. That's the main issue, but they also lost Gronk in the off season. There's a reason they signed AB(glad it backfired). I think Tom is still an upper echelon QB and can be for another 2 yrs. Trust me, I hate the thought of that. 

CrJr2AXUIAAk4-E.jpg.3eb09cd684853d6d4c3d

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Yep, that's what I said. They count just as much s passing tds. Pretty sure we celebrated Josh's rushing tds. If Josh had those #'s and people complain, defenders would quickly point out the rushing tds. I would be happy with those #s, as long as the rushing tds were included. "Just win , baby".

Oh I’m not debating the notion of rushing TDs counting. They certainly should. I’m just pointing out how Tom’s rushing TD’s don’t involve a lot of rushing ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Not football related, but TNF related:

This new Midway movie is seriously pissing me off.  What a *****-looking movie.  Roland Emmerich is responsible for this bag of excrement, isn't he?

Couldn’t they have saved $200m and just shown that old 1970s movie that was very similar. What was the name of it? It’s on the tip of my tongue. Oh, now I remember! “Midway!”