Deleted Threads

Foxx

why do peeps delete threads? i mean just because they don't go the way they want them to, does that give them the right to just delete everyone's musings?

what is the psychological makeup of someone who would do such a egregious thing?

should they be beaten?

flogged?

20 lashes with a wet noodle?

asking for a friend....

Edited by Foxx

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

why do peeps delete threads? i mean just because they don't go the way they want them to, does that give them the right to just delete everyone's musings?

what is the psychological makeup of someone who would do such a egregious thing?

should they be beaten?

flogged?

asking for a friend....

LOL.    

If I, you or anyone makes a mistake or are misinterpreted and the thread goes off the rails.  Sometimes its best to delete.  

You also don't know if a Mod deleted it or not.  If they have to delete half the posts, why not the whole thing.  It would make things easier on them  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

should they be beaten?

flogged?

asking for a friend....

Why don’t you delete this gem so we can find out?  You could report back in a new thread on your feelings post deletion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

And what happens to the post count of people whose posts were deleted?

If you delete a post, your count goes down.  So, I'd assume the answer is yes. 

does it matter? 

If it makes you feel better ... 

I'm think the Rep Points remain.   I've gone to see who gave  Rep Points and when I cliked on it I've gotten many Page Not Available's 

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why don’t you delete this gem so we can find out?  You could report back in a new thread on your feelings post deletion.

I was thinking the same 

LOL

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

If you delete a post, your count goes down.  So, I'd assume the answer is yes. 

does it matter? 

If it makes you feel better ... 

I'm think the Rep Points remain.   I've gone to see who gave  Rep Points and when I cliked on it I've gotten many Page Not Available's 

Apparently I forgot to use the sarcasm/humor font.  I was attempting to post something nonsensical to bump the thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

flogged?

asking for a friend....

This, we shall have them flogged in Niagara Square.  Make it happen!

I’m not sure if you’re referring to my thread that I deleted yesterday.  Yes, I deleted it and what are you going to do about it ???

Seriously though...if you are referring to my “transgenders in youth sports” thread, it had taken a very dark and negative turn (IMO) and I felt the responsibility to “self moderate” my thread and kill it before it got out of control.  In hindsight, I probably should have known better to create that thread in OTW, as it seems folks are not able to rationally discuss a potentially controversial issue such as the one I presented without the ugliness and bigotry.  My mistake.

It had to die before it was cast down to the sodomites in PPP.

If you’re not talking about my deleted thread, please disregard this post ?

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

should they be beaten?

flogged?

asking for a friend....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m not sure if you’re referring to my thread that I deleted yesterday.  Yes, I deleted it and what are you going to do about it ???

Seriously though...if you are referring to my “transgenders in youth sports” thread, it had taken a very dark and negative turn (IMO) and I felt the responsibility to “self moderate” my thread and kill it before it got out of control.  In hindsight, I probably should have known better to create that thread in OTW, as it seems folks are not able to rationally discuss a potentially controversial issue such as the one I presented without the ugliness and bigotry.  My mistake.

Ive seen this movie already 

• Haha (+1) 2

The only times I've deleted my own threads where when I thought I had the jump on posting a breaking story, just to find that @Kirby Jackson or @YoloinOhio or the like beat me to it by 20 minutes and the thread topic already exists.

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ive seen this movie already 

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

In all fairness, they were already there getting defensive. ?

Joking aside, I apologize for hijacking your thread when I mocked a certain coastal poster for his ridiculous comparison.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

In all fairness, they were already there getting defensive. ?

Joking aside, I apologize for hijacking your thread when I mocked a certain coastal poster for his ridiculous comparison.

I knew the thread was doomed once I saw some of those PPP folks posting in there ? No apologies needed.  Again, creating the thread was probably a mistake on my part.  Lesson learned.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I knew the thread was doomed once I saw some of those PPP folks posting in there ? No apologies needed.  Again, creating the thread was probably a mistake on my part.  Lesson learned.

It's honestly a good topic but you're correct in that emotions run too high on both sides for OTW.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The only times I've deleted my own threads where when I thought I had the jump on posting a breaking story, just to find that @Kirby Jackson or @YoloinOhio or the like beat me to it by 20 minutes and the thread topic already exists.

You get off with just the wet noodle. You’re lucky....this time! 

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

hey, thanks for the response.

i wasn't referring solely to your thread being deleted but that it was, gave the impetus for this thread. there have been threads that contained a lot of good information that, because perhaps it didn't pan out the way the OP wanted, they deleted it. when you lose the posterity contained in those threads, it just seems like a major waste. not only for that posterity but also because of all the time that gets invested by those who contribute to them. in some way, it says, 'yeah sorry about all the time and energy you invested but....'. i'm not a big fan of throwing away peeps investments, regardless of what they may be. i understand that sometimes it is warranted and necessary but the validity of those occurrences, to me, is or should be very few and far between. 

i am sorry you feel/felt that you had to delete it. as someone else up thread expressed, i believe it was a good topic. if i contributed to it going in a different direction from the one you wanted, i apologize. however, i think it very rare that a thread stays in a single lane. they more often than not, take on a life of their own because certain tangents just beg to be taken and most good discussions include relevant tangential meanders.

i understand that OTW is not really the place for serious discussions. serious discussions can sometimes be hard because they can be complicated and include perspectives that might make some cringe. but if a serious discussion is to be had in earnest, it should include those perspectives that are uncomfortable, it should cause critical thinking. more people should try it (thinking critically) and perhaps we wouldn't have half the problems that plague society today.

again, my post wasn't really directed at you, per sey. i hope you did not take any offense. i tried to put levity into it.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

i don't know that there were many PPP'ers in it.

PPP is not the bastion y'all like to paint it as, it just requires a bit of honesty.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I read the title, and decided to avoid it like the plague.  No way that thread was going to end well.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I read the title, and decided to avoid it like the plague.  No way that thread was going to end well.

But it was an interesting ride....... for a while. People will show their true colors (and ignorance....make that “simple minds”, is that kinder?) in a thread like that. 

Now I will stop, before we rinse and repeat. 

12 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Apparently I forgot to use the sarcasm/humor font.  I was attempting to post something nonsensical to bump the thread. 

The correct way to do that is to bring Carp into the conversation.?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I started reading the thread and thought the same thing. Kudos to you for taking it down.

38 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ditto here. I ran away from that sucker like the scared little girl I really am. Oh, did I mention....

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

But it was an interesting ride....... for a while. People will show their true colors (and ignorance....make that “simple minds”, is that kinder?) in a thread like that. 

Now I will stop, before we rinse and repeat. 

What was the ignorant part ?  

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

What was the ignorant part ?  

I see what you did there. Trying to turn this thread back into the deleted thread. Let it be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Every now and then life smacks you in the face, reminding you to stick to starting threads about sitting on your balls at the toilet.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Some here are not so very intelligent. You found one. 

Prune juice and a nap and some old Kaepernick highlights will clear you right up 

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Scott has tried to curtail useless threads.  Some people just don't seem to give a shite 

Dwight Shrute loves Michael Scott 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

Could cull threads by 75% and miss nothing. 

not sure but.. we could probably say the same about your posts and the multiple sock puppet identities you possess.

you might want to see someone about that...

Edited by Foxx