Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

23 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Couldn’t help thinking about Josh Rosen on the 4th and 1 that Allen converted like a total beast!!  Zero chance Rosen makes that play. And that’s why we took the right Josh!

i was a doubter, but also came around!

So this isn’t a thing anymore?:D

image.thumb.jpeg.e75d4365850dc964ae809641ad53e08d.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So this isn’t a thing anymore?:D

image.thumb.jpeg.e75d4365850dc964ae809641ad53e08d.jpeg

We could probably get him on the cheap next year.  He may not even have a job.

36 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I've said a variation of this 100 times. If Allen threw screens, WR screens, dump offs, check downs, like every other QB his percentage would be much, much higher. He did on Thursday and it was 80% 

Our screen game blows chunks.  Why is that?

22 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Apparently they only do the top 20 receivers but here they are.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231

Part of the problem with these stats are RB passes are usually always "RAC yards" and very little air yards but even still based on Ekeler/Rivers numbers the rac is 625 RAC/3046 passing yards.  

Ekeler has 667 receiving yards on the year so only 42 of those yards are air yards (assuming I'm mathing right).

Beasley is our YAC guy then. 

16 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not surprised actually. Going into this season I recall mentioning that Allen only needs to be a 59%-60% completion QB for the Bills to be successful. This is because of how great he is with his legs in key spots.  And I think I even mentioned that if he were to be a 62-65% QB we would be talking about an MVP/HOF level play out of him. And that is looking accurate too. He's at 61.5% now. If he finishes the season around 63 -64% it probably means he had a heck of a finish to the season and we probably beat either Baltimore or New England if not both.

It is interesting. I think part of what "hurts" Allen's completion percentage is his running. Most QB's throw check downs in his running situations. Allen is athletic enough to make bigger plays than a check down for 2-3 yards. Since he isn't throwing as many check downs he doesn't have those easy completions to pad his completion percentage.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sort of makes sense if we think about it. Allen is just extending the "short passing game" to better fit his arm talent. 11-20 yards is nothing for Allen compared to most of the noodle armed QB's around the league.

After watching Fitz and even other QB's we've played it's really apparent how strong his arm actually is.  Fitz comes to mind because you see him reel back and throw it as hard as he can for a 10-15 yard pass.  Even other QB's we have faced I've watch and was like "why the hell is he throwing the ball like that?" because they were reaching back so far and getting their whole body into it for an under 20 yard pass.  Allen just flicks it and it flies.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not surprised actually. Going into this season I recall mentioning that Allen only needs to be a 59%-60% completion QB for the Bills to be successful. This is because of how great he is with his legs in key spots.  And I think I even mentioned that if he were to be a 62-65% QB we would be talking about an MVP/HOF level play out of him. And that is looking accurate too. He's at 61.5% now. If he finishes the season around 63 -64% it probably means he had a heck of a finish to the season and we probably beat either Baltimore or New England if not both.

Still has a LONG way to go before even sniffing MVP level play, but your prediction of three success threshold seems spot on. Obviously limiting turnovers helps a lot too, but accuracy is just as important. 

I find it amusing though considering how many people last year claimed accuracy didn't matter, and completion percentage wasn't relevant. Seems it definitely is relevant. 

This felt like the biggest Bills win since Kelly was taking snaps. There have been a few other high points — Buffalo made the playoffs twice under Doug Flutie in 1998-99. But Thursday’s triumph was more significant for one essential reason: Allen, their first true franchise quarterback hope since Kelly, had the best game of his career on the biggest stage. ...

The Bills are 11-0 when his completion rate is at least 60%.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I've said a variation of this 100 times. If Allen threw screens, WR screens, dump offs, check downs, like every other QB his percentage would be much, much higher. He did on Thursday and it was 80% 

this !

Based on simply taking the numbers from the first 12 weeks if Josh just matches his exact production in the final quarter he would end the year vs last year would be:

Passing;

Att: 320;  Comp: 169; YPA: 6.48; Pct: 52.8%; Yds: 2074; TD: 10; 12 Int

Att: 499;  Comp: 300; YPA: 7.08; Pct: 61.5%; Yds: 3454; TD: 21; 10 Int

Rushing

2018 - Att: 89; Yds: 631; Avg: 7.1; TD: 8

2019 - Att: 124; Yds: 573; Avg: 4.6; TD: 10

If you had predicted these 2019 stats at the beginning of the year ... I would have likely thought you were overly optimistic .. great progress.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Based on simply taking the numbers from the first 12 weeks if Josh just matches his exact production in the final quarter he would end the year vs last year would be:

Passing;

Att: 320;  Comp: 169; YPA: 6.48; Pct: 52.8%; Yds: 2074; TD: 10; 12 Int

Att: 499;  Comp: 300; YPA: 7.08; Pct: 61.5%; Yds: 3454; TD: 21; 10 Int

Rushing

2018 - Att: 89; Yds: 631; Avg: 7.1; TD: 8

2019 - Att: 124; Yds: 573; Avg: 4.6; TD: 10

If you had predicted these 2019 stats at the beginning of the year ... I would have likely thought you were overly optimistic .. great progress.

I thought Allen would hit at least 60% as a passer this year because he was a lot more accurate as a passer even in his rookie year than people think. 

As far as the rest of his stats, I thought they'd be even better

Another advantage Josh Allen provides is his ability to score with his legs. With 16 in his first 2 years he is 36th in tds for active players) this ties him withTyrod Taylor and is only 3 behind Russell Wilson.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_td_active.htm

Edited by CorkScrewHill