Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

On 11/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, Ray Finkel said:

Lamar didn’t have a problem 

Everyone in hindsight would have picked Mahomes and Watson .. except of course the experts were very strong on Trubisky for that draft.  It is easy to backseat drive two years later. Even if you thought jackson was the best .. you didn't know. The fact that jackson is having the year he is having doesn't chnage what Josh is doing. He came in as the rawest of the draft choices with the highest ceiling .. he has grown which is what we should all be looking for

Background:

From this article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-mitch-trubisky-2017-nfl-draft-20191112-mkiclk4l4jb3bndxf7azbtdw6m-story.html

"In more than a few circles, Trubisky was tabbed as the best pro prospect, lauded for his accuracy and quick release, his mobility and pocket awareness.

In the spring of 2017, a wide majority of major publications pegged him as the top quarterback in their mock drafts. Sports Illustrated. Fox Sports. The Washington Post. USA Today. CBS Sports. The Los Angeles Times.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper also arrived for draft weekend with Trubisky as his top-rated quarterback and No. 19 prospect overall, followed by Mahomes (No. 26), Watson (No. 34) and Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman (No. 59).

His colleague Todd McShay ranked the top five quarterbacks as Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer and Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs. But in McShay’s opinion at that time, none was worthy of a first-round grade.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah agreed. Jeremiah, who spent time as a college scout with the Ravens, Browns and Eagles, bunched three quarterbacks in his ranking of the top 50 prospects: Watson 28th, Trubisky 32nd and Kizer 33rd.

Mahomes? Not even on that list."

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well... this maybe says something about his INT

https://theathletic.com/1407189/2019/11/24/seven-observations-from-the-bills-win-ed-oliver-pops-off-the-screen-defense-borders-on-dominant-once-again/

4. Allen, despite brief mistakes, shows poise and potential

He wasn’t without his faults, as Allen committed his first interception since Week 5 — though the encouraging part is that there was a great deal of thought behind the interception.

“The coverage that I thought they were in was quarters, and their safety was committing to the run. That’s our cue to kind of put it over the top, and my eyes were on (the safety) and I didn’t see the backside safety moving post high,” Allen said. “They disguised it well, they made a play. Obviously it’s one that I want back, but it’s one that I’d probably do again.”

The interception isn’t the desired result, but that line of thinking shows the inherent progress Allen is making in diagnosing defenses — needing Denver to disguise it to make the error. It’s a negative and a positive play all at once because he’s thinking through the play at an advanced level, which will teach the quarterback to look for those coverages moving forward. Allen did have another turnover-worthy throw that he got away with but protected the ball otherwise. He continues to shows signs of improvement, even through errors, to help the Bills come away with a victory.

Translation: the receiver ran the wrong route.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Allen was 7-for-8 passing on 3rd down with four passing first downs and three rushing first downs on 3rd down today. 12 total 3rd downs with 7 converted for a 58.3% conversion rate for Allen on those plays today.

I believe we converted three or four 3rd and 10 or mores, and one 3rd and 9. The two TDs were on 3rd and long, and 2nd and 13.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

On what milk carton can you find Sweeney?

Yeah I feel ya here.  He's been inactive since Kroft came back.

I see Sweeney as the Lee Smith equivalent in time.  Needs to get a little bigger and stronger to equal Lee's blocking ability.  Already demonstrated he is a much better receiver than Lee.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Translation: the receiver ran the wrong route.

That was a strange play. It didn't look like a wrong route or a bad read. It just looked like a physical mistake where one got away. It was into the wind and if it gets away by 2 feet, that can turn into 4. That INT didn't bother me so much as it was clearly just something out of the ordinary. 

The one Denver dropped was the bad throw of the day...it was going towards the scoreboard side on the Bills sideline. That was Josh's only "bad" throw yesterday.  

Edited by Sundancer

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

That was a strange play. It didn't look like a wrong route or a bad read. It just looked like a physical mistake where one got away. It was into the wind and if it gets away by 2 feet, that can turn into 4. That INT didn't bother me so much as it was clearly just something out of the ordinary. 

The one Denver dropped was the bad throw of the day...it was going towards the scoreboard side on the Bills sideline. That was Josh's only "bad" throw yesterday.  

I haven't heard Josh blame a teammate yet.  If it had been a pass that got away from him, I feel he would have said as much.

I dunno if Allen is good (he's been playing better lately), but the rest of the offense around him is slowly emerging as being pretty good.

John Brown has been excellent.

Cole Beasley is a weapon from the slot.

Devin Singletary has changed our running game since emerging as the feature back against Washington.

Dawson Knox has been very good for a rookie tight end.

If we can add an elite WR with some size to pair with Brown on the outside, and the other guys get a bit better next year (particularly Singletary and Knox), this offense could be exceptional next season. 

Allen is in a great position to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

In some ways Allen reminds me of a newer version of Steve McNair: He may not wow you with 300+ passing games, but he is clutch and is a leader of men, and is a winner.

For the record, McNair had a 60.1% for his career, right in line where Allen is now

Different era so completion % isn’t really comparable.  But I love the cross racial comparison and it’s an interesting one. 

I think this Dallas game will be huge for Allen.  Dallas will score points so Allen will have to lead this team to 21+ points in my opinion.  This is the biggest start of his career imo. All eyes on them against a talented team on their “day.”  Great test. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Different era so completion % isn’t really comparable.  But I love the cross racial comparison and it’s an interesting one. 

I think this Dallas game will be huge for Allen.  Dallas will score points so Allen will have to lead this team to 21+ points in my opinion.  This is the biggest start of his career imo. All eyes on them against a talented team on their “day.”  Great test. 

Agree, and also a big day for the entire organization as a whole. Some Bills fans have complained about the lack of notoriety they are getting at 8-3.

Skeptics are everywhere about their schedule and about Josh Allen.

Thursday can potentially change the minds of a good amount of those skeptics.

Sry for OT, but after 4 games IIRC there was somebody on these forums who posted his own QB ratings with some detailed chart. I was hoping that he would do it again after ahlf season and later. Anybody knows what I am talking about? Did I miss it second time or it never happened?

Would love to see that chart updated.

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

In some ways Allen reminds me of a newer version of Steve McNair: He may not wow you with 300+ passing games, but he is clutch and is a leader of men, and is a winner.

For the record, McNair had a 60.1% for his career, right in line where Allen is now

I respect McNair and what he accomplished, but I would not be satisfied if that's Allen's ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Am I reading this correctly?  Is Josh Allen #1 in the league on completions for a 1st down per attempt on 3rd and 8+?

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=047&type=Passing&year=

Without looking at the stats I would say yes. He has had a ridiculous amount of them this year. And if they counted scrambles where he got the first on third and 8 or more there would be numerous more.

• Like (+1) 2