NFL's newest franchise QB: Daniel Jones

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just watching ESPN First Take where Stephen A Smith and Mel Kiper were taking turns giving Jones a tongue bath.

I guess that's what happens when you play for a New York team. Win one game (barely) and you are instantly the best QB since Sims.

Meanwhile the jury is still out on Josh Allen. :rolleyes:

Well...the situation isn’t quite that.  The kid was placed in an enormously pressurized situation of coming in as rookie of a team circling the drain bereft of talent behind an aging future HOF QB and he brought them from behind scoring 4 TDs in his first NFL game and gave an entire panicking fan base a huge boost.  Josh Allen was replacing nobody on a team that has made the playoffs once in almost 2O years and is doing better than expected.  He’s playing with house money.

You seemed to have ignored all of those facts in your post...

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Say When... said:

meh - nothing against the kid but if Eli was in that game they post a more convincing win.

Jameis is who we thought he was regardless of who's coaching him.

honestly - has FSU ever produced a strong NFL QB?  and don't answer Brad Johnson, we all know what made that season go...

Charlie Ward was the best QB in NYC for a number of years... while he played for the Knicks.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

What don't I get?

That you HAVE to throw for that almighty 300 yards to win a game?

You are obsessed with 300 yard games like Demonrats are obsessed with impeachment.

Allen can win the Bills the SB this year while NEVER throwing for 300 yards and it wouldn't matter to you.

Completely nuts.

Has there been a Superbowl WInning or Losing team who did not throw for 300 yards in the regular season in the last 20 years.

Yes just a #, but a pretty simple yardstick that I use.

The Bills QB & Offensive situation has been so woeful that 250 yards is otherworldly.

There are probably 15 QB's who when they throw for under 250 most think they had a bad game (or had a very easy blowout win)......  

And trust me I'm a big fan of Allen and want to see him throw for big #'s.

Sorry if I like an offense capable of 30+ points & 300+ passing yards.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Did you see what Josh Allen had to deal with last season? Worst OL in the league, no true #1 RB as Shady was either hurt or way underperforming and no true #1 WR. Not to mention the Bills led the league in drops. So Allen had it way worse than Jones had in 1 freaking start. Get real dude.

Did you read what I said?  I said he had an impressive Debut, ie first start.  I even said that doesn't mean he is a FQB (Franchise QB), in what way did I even imply he had it harder than Allen or was better than Allen? 

Was his Debut more impressive than Allens? YES but its one game lets see how he does moving forward.  

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well...the situation isn’t quite that.  The kid was placed in an enormously pressurized situation of coming in as rookie of a team circling the drain bereft of talent behind an aging future HOF QB and he brought them from behind scoring 4 TDs in his first NFL game and gave an entire panicking fan base a huge boost.  Josh Allen was replacing nobody on a team that has made the playoffs once in almost 2O years and is doing better than expected.  He’s playing with house money.

You seemed to have ignored all of those facts in your post...

Look at you, doing a one-eighty when it suits you. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Jones was  good QB in college, there really is no arguing that.  He looked good last week.  I think he could be a great NFL QB.  He's certainly got to earn that and he hasn't yet.

And like Josh, he needs to get through his rookie season in good health (despite a weak OL).

I for one did not understand the whining of the Giant fans when he was drafted. If a team thinks that a QB is that good, drafting him is the right thing to do.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

And like Josh, he needs to get through his rookie season in good health (despite a weak OL).

I for one did not understand the whining of the Giant fans when he was drafted. If a team thinks that a QB is that good, drafting him is the right thing to do.

He didn't come from a blue blood school.  Duke for football?  Doesn't compute.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, BurpleBull said:

The jury should still be out on Josh Allen; I feel good about the direction Josh Allen is heading, but he does still play erratically at times (the toss up interceptons) and I would also like to see him go through his progressions more to find to the open man instead of locking in on Cole Beasley so much.

Daniel Jones is hella good and he's shown better at the point in his young career than Allen did his; he looked good in preseason and he led a comeback in place of a future Hall of Famer. It's early but you can see that Jones has the potential to be really good, the early praise is understandable. 

FTR I'm completely cool with Josh Allen's backyard-style improvisation as long as turnovers don't come along with it too often. 

Think about the rookie QBs who immediately looked very good, in their very first start, either at the start of the season or very early in the season (that is, not a garbage time Game 16 start). They’ve turned out really well. Deshaun Watson. Russell Wilson. Big Ben. That doesn’t mean that guys who had rough starts early on in their rookie seasons  (Allen) never ultimately succeed. Many times they do, and many times they turn out just as good or even better than those fast starters. But the basic proposition holds: rookie QBs who show talent and a strong command of the game in their very first action generally succeed. And we can say that about Jones, but we can’t say that about Allen. No need for folks to get all defensive about our boy; he seems to be turning out ok. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:58 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

EVERY QB in the NFL plays erratically at times & if you watch every down a team plays, like many of us do with the Bills, you can always say that about your team's QB.  Until a QB comes along with a 100% completion % and 0 INTS fans who watch every down will say the guy makes stupid decisions sometimes.  It's the QB's & coaches'  jobs to cut the bad throws down to an acceptable level, meaning they cost as few games as possible.  Still they'll always be there.  Even Brady has throws he wants back.  

One of the stats that are talked about with great QBs is their 4th quarter comebacks.  Many of those comebacks are the result of something bad they did earlier in the game.  A perfect QB would never have to have a 4th quarter comeback because he'd win every game wire-to-wire.  

No sense in trying to downplay Josh Allen's negatives by using the "EVERY QB" argument; not every QB is in his second season battling the same bad tendencies from college that got him labeled 'erratic' entering the league. 

I believe Josh Allen's word is good when he says that he's going to make those up-for-grabs INT's a thing of the past (or at least greatly reduce the number of them), but until then, why would you expect people to see him as equally polished a QB as Daniel Jones has shown in the preseason and in his first start? 

Daniel Jones is sharp as hell with his accuracy, can throw on the move, is mobile and poised, and because of that people feel of all the NY QB's, Jones is most representative of a franchise QB; what's the problem?

The Bills still have the most dynamic QB by far and he's already showing that he can lead his team to victory, even when trailing, as you point out; I have no doubt that Allen will continue to refine his game, which will only lead to him doing greater things, and then people will have no choice but give him his dues or be exposed as the haters they are.

Haven't read through this thread, but anyway I thinks it's silly  to anoint him their franchise QB and talking him up like that after just 1 game. But that's the way the media does I guess, especially in that market.

So if he craps the bed this Sunday I guess they will do a complete 180.

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Did you read what I said?  I said he had an impressive Debut, ie first start.  I even said that doesn't mean he is a FQB (Franchise QB), in what way did I even imply he had it harder than Allen or was better than Allen? 

Was his Debut more impressive than Allens? YES but its one game lets see how he does moving forward.  

You did throw shade at Allen in your own subtle way saying Allen had a terrible comp %. Try to twist it any way you want, we know exactly what you were implying. You do it in 90% of your posts on this forum. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The media being super reactive to players in big markets is nothing new. Week to week things always get overreacted and overanalyzed. 

Yep. They’re bending over backwards with mea culpas on Jones, but with Allen they’ll go through contortions to emphasize the bad points as he’s in Buffalo.  Jones will certainly have his mistakes and even had an INT dropped Sunday. His game was impressive, but it was one game. Funny how quickly they change their tune when it’s a big market player.