Hot Sauces

Jauronimo

Hot Sauce  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes you?

• My fridge is mostly condiments of a spicy nature.
    • My food frequently burns going in and coming out.
    • I don't use hot sauces because, WELL, I actually like to taste my food and I'm not just putting on this pretentious affectation to cover for the fact that I'm a wuss.
    • I love hot sauce! Have you ever tried Tabasco!
    • There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles.
    • I think salt and black pepper is spicy
    • We stick with Red Hot and occasionally break out the Sriracha on birthdays, anniversaries, or maybe if the missus has had too much wine on Bridge night.

Who can't live without them?

What are your favorites? 

Whats the hottest sauce you've ever consumed?

Who is making their own?  This is something I am looking into and plan on pursuing in the near future.  Anyone got any recipes?

Edited by Jauronimo

Latest additions to my fridge:

Aardvark - habanero based suace

Truff - think a truffle infused red hot with the body of a wing sauce.  Very good.  Used it to make some 'Truffalo' wings last weekend.

Zombie Apocalypse - from Torchbearer. Quite hot, solid flavor.  I prefer Son of Zombie from the same brand.  You can use a lot more and the flavor is addicting while still packing a punch.

Garlic Reaper - Another Torchbearer offering. Very hot carolina reaper based sauce but with surprisingly good flavor and a creamy consistency.

I’ve got a nice assortment, but Texas Pete is generally my go to sauce. Tabasco has to be the choice in my black bean and corn salad. The others just don’t work. When grilling chicken, I take the Bullseye original BBQ sauce and add sriracha to taste and bring some zip. I do NOT do any “I dare you” sauces....... I’m not trying to prove anything. 

I pretty much stick to Frank’s unless I’m doing Asian, then just a drop or 2 of Sriracha (I still have my taste buds and that stuff is overpowering).

In the Army, my favorite MRE was tuna casserole. There was a little bottle of Tobasco in there. Now I have to put some sort of hot sauce on that dish. ??

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Never put hot sauce in fridge.  Unless you want it tamed.  

My go to: Sriracha on everything.

I just checked, and most of the 7 hot sauces in my fridge do not say you must refrigerate after opening. One says definitely refrigerate, and my go to Texas Pete says refrigerate for best use. If I removed my hot sauce collection my mustard assortment would have room to grow! 

Melinda's XXXX Reserve is my standard go-to hot sauce.

And I actually think Taco Bell fire sauce is really quite good.  Glad they stock it in stores now, I was starting to feel pretty guilty about the size of the handfuls I was taking from their restaurants.  Well no not really..

Edited by coloradobillsfan

Loooove spicy foods and am always willing to try a new hot sauce. Hoping to to see a few new recommendations to try in this thread.

I did have a buddy one time give me a bunch of carolina reapers to try, as he knew I loved spicy stuff. I hadnt tried them before and I had a homemade chili in the fridge that was made the day before. I took a whole pepper and diced it up in one bowl of chili. I was unable to finish the bowl

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just checked, and most of the 7 hot sauces in my fridge do not say you must refrigerate after opening. One says definitely refrigerate, and my go to Texas Pete says refrigerate for best use. If I removed my hot sauce collection my mustard assortment would have room to grow! 

You get that gunky buildup around the opening of the bottle if you refrigerate them.  It's not pretty.  That's what happens with Frank's anyway.

8 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Melinda's XXXX Reserve is my standard go-to hot sauce.

And I actually think Taco Bell fire sauce is really quite good.  Glad they stock it in stores now, I was starting to feel pretty guilty about the size of the handfuls I was taking from their restaurants.  Well no not really..

I do like their fire sauce as well, they have one above (forget what its called, its a black pack) and thats hotter but just doesnt have as good of flavor

Hottest I ever had was a wing at a brewpub near Mt. Snow years ago. It was tasty until it felt like it was burning a hole right through my tongue.  One wing and I was done.

I keep a variety of Cholula flavors in stock. Sweet Habanero would be my favorite but it's a bit hot for me and I can only take it in small doses.

Tabasco for Bloody Marys. I like but am not particular about Buffalo sauce, lately I'm more inclined to go with Thai Chili for wings.

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I do like their fire sauce as well, they have one above (forget what its called, its a black pack) and thats hotter but just doesnt have as good of flavor

Diablo. Had it once and didn't like the flavor either. Fire is my go to.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yup!  LoL... Same here.

Hot sauce has vinegars... So it's perfectly fine NOT refrigerated... So  I read.  Also... Jelly doesn't need to either, which I was shocked, most say on jar... But NOT necessary

https://www.editorchoice.com/foods-never-refridgerate/

"Most hot sauces contain vinegar and certain preservatives that slow down molding and bacteria from growing. Although keeping your favorite condiments cold won’t speed up the molding process, it might just reduce their strength.

You might think you have taste buds made of steel, but it’s your fridge helping you. Next time, keep your bottle of Tabasco on the kitchen counter and see how impressive you can be with it. We bet you’ll notice the difference."

• Thank you (+1) 2

I put Frank's on just about everything. Also have Tabasco, Sriracha, a green hot sauce (can't remember the brand), and a few others. My wife sometimes grows hot peppers in the garden and we have a friend who grows Serrano peppers (about as hot as Jalapenos) and shares them with us.

I don't like overpowering spiciness - I like to taste the food - but I do like a little burn.