cage

Mayfield is << Allen

7 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So one game and you've made ya mind up? What would you say if a Cleveland fan had only watched Josh Allen's game against Green Bay last year or only saw quarters 2 and 3 of the Jest game? 

I am not ready to crown Allen anything yet, but if you don't see. progression from year one to year two, I don't know what to tell you.

He already has a winning record as a starter as he continues to develop.

I take it one game at a time and I think we all see Cincinnati as a very favorable match-up, but in this topsy turvy NFL you never freaking know.

Mayfield is in the same boat right now but with a much worse OL that might get him killed.

Edited by njbuff

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I am not ready to crown Allen anything yet, but if you don't see. progression from year one to year two, I don't know what to tell you.

He already has a winning record as a starter as he continues to develop.

I take it one game at a time and I think we all see Cincinnati as a very favorable match-up, but in this topsy turvy NFL you never freaking know.

That wasn't the point of my comment. I was making a comparison. The OP watched ONE Baker Mayfield game and is judging him against Allen, after one game. I've watched more than one game of Mayfields, so I know where he's at and last season, he did things I haven't seen Allen do up to this point.  Mayfield also didn't look nearly as bad in Game 1 as his stat line would indicate, if you did actually watch the game.

I'm not saying Allen hasn't looked better this season and seems to be improving, he is. I'm saying if a Cleveland fan or general NFL fan picked one of Allens games to watch, a bad one, and then formed an opinion of that, every Buffalo fan would be telling them they need to watch more of him and not just the highlights.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

That wasn't the point of my comment. I was making a comparison. The OP watched ONE Baker Mayfield game and is judging him against Allen, after one game. I've watched more than one game of Mayfields, so I know where he's at and last season, he did things I haven't seen Allen do up to this point.  Mayfield also didn't look nearly as bad in Game 1 as his stat line would indicate, if you did actually watch the game.

I'm not saying Allen hasn't looked better this season and seems to be improving, he is. I'm saying if a Cleveland fan or general NFL fan picked one of Allens games to watch, a bad one, and then formed an opinion of that, every Buffalo fan would be telling them they need to watch more of him and not just the highlights.

I gotcha now.

My reading comprehension sucks.

What I learned last night is The Browns Bills game is not an automatic loss for Buffalo.

Should be a good game

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

What I learned last night is The Browns Bills game is not an automatic loss for Buffalo.

Should be a good game.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So one game and you've made ya mind up? What would you say if a Cleveland fan had only watched Josh Allen's game against Green Bay last year or only saw quarters 2 and 3 of the Jest game? 

Which one of Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield has been pushed on us as a conference championship contender?

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Which one of Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield has been pushed on us as a conference championship contender?

Sooooo because the media bought into the hype of the Browns offseason, Mayfield<<Allen. Makes sense. Did I miss Baker Mayfield saying he was going to be a Conference  Championship Contender? What does this have to do with watching one game of a player and making any sort of judgment. 

Bills fans get all upset when national pundits only watch highlights of Allen or one game but then it's ok for us as fans to do that to other players. Again, makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sooooo because the media bought into the hype of the Browns offseason, Mayfield<<Allen. Makes sense. Did I miss Baker Mayfield saying he was going to be a Conference  Championship Contender? What does this have to do with watching one game of a player and making any sort of judgment. 

Bills fans get all upset when national pundits only watch highlights of Allen or one game but then it's ok for us as fans to do that to other players. Again, makes sense.

Take a look at the stats for the year and get back to me.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Take a look at the stats for the year and get back to me.

I see you addressed nothing of what I actually said, I'll pass on getting back to you, as again you've made this into a dig at Allen, which it isn't.

He held the ball 4.2 seconds (!!!!!!) on one pass play and then completely overthrew OBJ. 

I wasn't impressed either. 

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I had Mayfield 4th but in all honesty I had Allen and Rosen as top 3 guys.  Browns changed the history of 5 teams or more by taking Mayfield instead of Darnold.  If Browns take Darnold like many predicted, Allen probably goes 3rd to the Jets and then it is a trade war at 4 to get Rosen.  

That’s a plate full of speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll just say this...Myles Garrett is the best player on Cleveland's roster.

• Like (+1) 3

baker was really inaccurate last night and not the guy i saw play last year. 

For better or worse, Mayfield painted himself in a corner when decided to confront the media (Cowherd) instead of ignoring it and keep working hard with his teammates.

He's a fiery guy but he's still young, I think he needs to settle down on all the hype sorrounding his team and work on the basics, last night his mechanics were awful, hence his bad passes.

He still need some maturing to do. I think he will be alright.

I don't care if he's better or worse than Allen, I think Allen is perfect for our team.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm pleasantly surprised that Allen has showed the degree of growth he has in both the mental and physical aspects of the game. This is a testament to both the player and the developmental coaching he has received. 

Baker is going to be a solid starter and was quicker out of the gate but his ceiling is lower than Allen's

Jackson has surprised me in his development but like Allen still, I'll wait to see some consistency over time before drawing conclusions. 

Rosen is a disaster and certainly his circumstances haven't helped

The one who surprises me is Darnold.  I've watched most of his games and I'm just not seeing this future pro-bowler they everyone hyped. He seems skittish in the pocket, isn't reading defenses as well as Allen so far, and only seems comfortable on the run during a broken/extended play. 

It's real early for all of them except Rosen who I think is done. Time will tell

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But typically someone that driven who had a crazy work ethic doesn't loose it that quick... Unless he gets too full of himself too quick

Baker doesn't seem like the type to get too full of himself too...

LOL

I can't

He seems exactly like that type

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Coaching and sacrificing the OL for shiny weapons.  

He seems to be regressing. 

He will regress and so will Lamar

all I know is Allen, in a very short time, has made Bills football a must see product for all the right reasons...exciting, drama free, team leadership that is fun to watch.  

Edited by x-BillzeBubba
  • Like (+1) 3

I work with a couple friends who are Giants fans- and I said before week 1-“rank the qbs in order- - Mayfield, Allen,Darnold, Jackson, Rosen.  I’m going to ask you every week to rerank them”.

Josh’s arrow keeps going up

I love how Booger compared him to Favre because their touchdown celebrations were similar. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Slow down.  I am a huge Allen guy but we played two weak opponents.  I believe Allen will surpass all the other '18 Draft QBs but not saying he is there yet.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Slow down.  I am a huge Allen guy but we played two weak opponents.  I believe Allen will surpass all the other '18 Draft QBs but not saying he is there yet.

And Baker hasn't?

• Like (+1) 1

The main concern about Mayfield coming out of college, was the classic "he is too short" problem.  And while Drew Brees is a radical exception to that rule, it has shown to be a problem for many other talented but shorter QBs.   

Last night we went up against a defensive coordinator who saw Mayfield for a full season live in practice last year.  This has to provide a lot more insight for game planning than simply watching game films.   I can't say I know what the Jets defense specifically did different than other defenses, but Mayfield looked like he was throwing out of hole last night. Quite a few passes knocked down, and a launch angle requiring his receivers to leave their feet ( and pay a big physical price) to catch balls he through out of the pocket. Greg Williams may have provided the defensive template to beat up on Mayfield last night.

I also had some understanding that Mayfield was mobile, but that sure was not on display last night.  

A lot of homerism here.  Mayfield has shown it in college and last year as a rookie, he works hard, has a great arm, can make plays on the run, generally makes good decisions with the ball and WINS.   The media got behind him and the Browns, now we have a bunch of people trying to poke holes in him and say Allen is better.

Last year we heard from everyone that Allen's line was the issue, but we're willing to ignore the issues Cleveland is having now when looking at Mayfield.

We heard Josh has "it" and finds a way to win, no matter how ugly, what was the outcome of the game people are freaking out over?

Every week the excuses come in for Josh missing guys that are open. Brown was wide open, for a td, but who cares? We scored on that drive anyway.  Mayfield misses OBJ once and now he is innacurate.

The offense sputters here and they are still needing time to "gel", forget that for Cleveland.

C'mon guys, judge with the same standards and quit trying to feel like your qb is clearly better because you are tired of hearing about Cleveland.  Most of you sound like jealous school girls defending your boyfriend.  As it stands, Allen has had a mediocre game that nobody wants to talk about because it was a win and a solid game.  He made improvement from last year, thus far.  He was still picked 7th overall, its not like he should be getting a pass for not playing well, the team invested a FORTUNE to draft him, he better be good.  Mayfield had a far superior rookie season and started off this year with a pretty mediocre game one, against a team that didn't suck so much they allowed him to recover.  Then had an average game, where he shockingly beat the ***** out of the same team Allen barely scraped by in his mediocre game.  

Let's breath a second and realize they are both young, both have new weapons and both were high draft picks with lofty expectations.  Both are going to wow you at times and both are going to suck at times.   It's nice that Allen has picked things up and is progressing.  Mayfield will be fine too.

Wayyy too early in the season to judge either QB. Give it time. The thing that impressed me most about Allen in his progression this year was his throwing the ball away safely under pressure in the 2nd game. That was one of his worst traits last year, knowing when, and when not to, force the ball, or taking off running too soon. Hope to see more out of that in Allen to see his progression.