Cody Ford was bad - again & again he was while at RT

Reed83HOF

Cannot understate the importance of chemistry on the Offensive Line and with Morse not playing a snap in Pre-Season, I think the first half will be their worst half of Offensive football all year. I think the Offense keeps getting better each week for several weeks - many new parts. Not just Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Ford should inside at guard for now and possibly for good  O line wasn't that great today but the Jets D line is their strength and Greggy was bringing extras much of the day

O-line was fine for the most part.  Allen had time to throw more often than he didn't.  They popped some runs when they had to have them too.

There is room for improvement which isn't surprising considering how the preseason went.  I don't think the starting group got many snaps together.

There's a lot to be encouraged by.  And someone tell Feliciano to chill with the unsportsmanlike penalties.  Possibly cost us three points.

1 minute ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Specious argument...

In a world where McD says he wants the best 5 on the field, it is absolutely relevant how he plays regardless of his potential ceiling in comparison to the rest of the OL talent. 

If he isn’t getting the job done at RT, he should be moved to guard or sat full time of he isn’t improving our chances to win. The rotation doesn’t make sense in any scenario IMO. 

If you want to argue that he should play even if he isn’t currently a top 5 OL, go for it 

I think Joe B. was right in his training camp reports......he did not like Ford at T, liked him a lot better at G.  He seemed to get beat with outside speed pretty regularly, just as he did throughout training camp from everything I've heard.  

Maybe the Bills liked him as a T when they traded up for him in the 2nd, but so far the film is showing he needs to be moved inside.  I don't see how you get better at handling outside speed on an island. You either have that athleticism or you don't.  He doesn't look like he has it.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Estro said:

I think Joe B. was right in his training camp reports......he did not like Ford at T, liked him a lot better at G.  He seemed to get beat with outside speed pretty regularly, just as he did throughout training camp from everything I've heard.  

Maybe the Bills liked him as a T when they traded up for him in the 2nd, but so far the film is showing he needs to be moved inside.  I don't see how you get better at handling outside speed on an island. You either have that athleticism or you don't.  He doesn't look like he has it.

Could not agree more.  It's fine to be enamored with a guy, and to be thrilled that you worked the draft in a way that you landed him, but none of that makes him auromatically capable of handling an outside speed rush.  Bring him inside as a mauling guard, already.  

The Bills decided to give second-round pick Cody Ford the start at right tackle, though they didn’t commit to him for the entire game. The Bills instead wanted to run a rotation of Ford and the 33-year-old Ty Nsekhe at the position. As the game went along, the rotation gave Ford two consecutive series with Nsekhe coming in for the third. It repeated as the game went along two more times.

However, Nsekhe was the right tackle in the team’s first touchdown drive. He executed several key blocks to spring loose Singletary for big gains on the right side of the offense, and the Bills took notice. Instead of Ford coming back out for the next drive in the fourth quarter, the Bills kept their rookie offensive lineman on the bench. Nsekhe continued as the right tackle for a second consecutive drive, the Bills scored again and left MetLife Stadium with a victory.

The questions surrounding Ford and where he fits into the offense will continue after that move late in the game. When the Bills took to the field for their most important drive it was Nsekhe, not the rookie, that they trusted to help get the job done. Already with loads of experience at guard in his football career, the Bills could consider moving him to right guard if they feel more comfortable with Nsekhe in the lineup. Either way, the offensive line, and how they arrange it, will linger as a talking point for the 2019 Bills.

https://theathletic.com/1195162/2019/09/08/seven-observations-from-bills-win-over-jets-josh-allen-is-still-inconsistent-and-questioning-the-offensive-game-plan/