YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wonder why they wouldn’t want him to have to talk to the media though - 

your guess is a good as mine..  

putting on tin foil hat.   

He's been cleared for weeks 

removing tin foil hat 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Because the headache it would give him could put him back into the protocol?

thats a good one 

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

question from 30 different reporters....."how do you feel"?

Q # 2    what took so long to clear

Q # 3    will you retire if you get another one

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/focus-on-safety/protecting-players/nfl-return-to-participation-protocol/

"

Step Five: Full Football Activity/Clearance

After the player-patient has established his ability to participate in non-contact football activity including team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurrence of signs and symptoms and his neurocognitive testing is back to baseline, the team physician may clear him for full football activity involving contact. Once cleared by the team physician, the player-patient may participate in all aspects of practice. If the player-patient tolerates full participation practice and contact without signs or symptoms and the team physician concludes that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, he may clear the player-patient to return to full participation. For the avoidance of doubt, if a player cannot participate in practice or full contact with other players due to the time of year and/or rules imposed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, simulated contact activity will suffice to satisfy this step. Upon clearance by the team physician, the player must be examined by the INC assigned to his Club. The INC must be provided a copy of all relevant reports and tests, including the Sideline and Booth UNC reports, the Booth ATC Spotter report and team injury reports, and have access to video of the injury, where applicable, and the player-patient’s neurocognitive tests and interpretations. If the INC confirms the team physician’s conclusion that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, the player-patient is considered cleared and may participate in his Club’s next game or practice.

We have clearance, Clarence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tracking well for him to play week 1... The writing was on the wall after week 1 of preseason that their goal was to have him ready by week 1 of the regular season and they didn't care at all about Preseason.

Something that stuck with me a bit was Knox saying that when he had his injury the trainers intentionally took it slower and longer with him during his recovery.  He said he had never had a hamstring injury of any kind and the trainers told him they were going to work slower with him on in to make sure there was no recurrence down the road.  

When I heard that it really struck me because I feel like in professional sports trainers and coaches pound the table about getting a guy back "As soon as he's ready" which is just coach speak for "as soon as possible, and he mans up to play."    But as the league has changed, and frankly the Bills have changed with their new sports science approach, I am wondering if they are intentionally taking longer with players and injury recovery time tables to try and minimize flair ups and additional injuries.

Maybe Knox wasn't the only one they decided to keep out longer to prevent further exacerbating the injury... maybe Morse was tracking better than we all thought, but they held him in each phase just a bit longer, because frankly they didn't care if he played in preseason or not.  While chemistry with the line and Allen is important, getting him to 100% is WAY more important.  SO once he showed symptoms of a concussion, the decision was essentially made "We're taking all preseason to manage this". 

I don't hate the approach...

As a fan I want to see everyone on the field, but when you look at the average athlete's recovery time from injuries, and the rate of how quickly those injuries then reoccur, maybe there is something to lengthening the process for rehabbing and doing it right rather than doing is quick.  It may not be "best for the team" in that your top guys aren't out there, but it's best for the player, and long run ideally best for your team because the player is less likely to re-injure themselves and be back off the field again. 

• Like (+1) 2

Frankly, I'm happy that they held him out of useless preseason games. Why risk your investment in him on stupid preseason games that don't mean squat. Look at all the players across the league who have gone down with season ending injuries already. The Bills have been very fortunate and want to keep it that way. It's the smart thing to do. In the meantime sitting him has given them the opportunity to try out various combinations of other players all along the line for when injuries will occur during the regular season. SMART!

Edited by DefenseWins
mispelling

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think has been in a spot where he could be cleared for quite some time. It almost looks like they are intentionally not taking him out of the protocol. This seems like he is completely recovered. 

Yeah, I think he’s been “fine” for a while, and this was just an abundance of caution. Unfortunately, I don’t know if we can ever call him completely recovered, as he’s probably going to be more susceptible for the rest of career....which I hope and pray is a very long one. Stay well Mitch!  

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Everyone should have known he was going to be kept in until the start of the season. This isn't news anymore.

Don’t you think we should play him ALL of the 4th preseason game to shake the rust off??? Get him some reps! Get his timing back, you know!

?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/focus-on-safety/protecting-players/nfl-return-to-participation-protocol/

"

Step Five: Full Football Activity/Clearance

After the player-patient has established his ability to participate in non-contact football activity including team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurrence of signs and symptoms and his neurocognitive testing is back to baseline, the team physician may clear him for full football activity involving contact. Once cleared by the team physician, the player-patient may participate in all aspects of practice. If the player-patient tolerates full participation practice and contact without signs or symptoms and the team physician concludes that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, he may clear the player-patient to return to full participation. For the avoidance of doubt, if a player cannot participate in practice or full contact with other players due to the time of year and/or rules imposed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, simulated contact activity will suffice to satisfy this step. Upon clearance by the team physician, the player must be examined by the INC assigned to his Club. The INC must be provided a copy of all relevant reports and tests, including the Sideline and Booth UNC reports, the Booth ATC Spotter report and team injury reports, and have access to video of the injury, where applicable, and the player-patient’s neurocognitive tests and interpretations. If the INC confirms the team physician’s conclusion that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, the player-patient is considered cleared and may participate in his Club’s next game or practice.

So, essentially it's Mitch saying: "yeah, I'm good".