Mitch Morse update - out of protocol, opens up about concussion

YoloinOhio

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/focus-on-safety/protecting-players/nfl-return-to-participation-protocol/

"

Step Five: Full Football Activity/Clearance

After the player-patient has established his ability to participate in non-contact football activity including team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurrence of signs and symptoms and his neurocognitive testing is back to baseline, the team physician may clear him for full football activity involving contact. Once cleared by the team physician, the player-patient may participate in all aspects of practice. If the player-patient tolerates full participation practice and contact without signs or symptoms and the team physician concludes that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, he may clear the player-patient to return to full participation. For the avoidance of doubt, if a player cannot participate in practice or full contact with other players due to the time of year and/or rules imposed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, simulated contact activity will suffice to satisfy this step. Upon clearance by the team physician, the player must be examined by the INC assigned to his Club. The INC must be provided a copy of all relevant reports and tests, including the Sideline and Booth UNC reports, the Booth ATC Spotter report and team injury reports, and have access to video of the injury, where applicable, and the player-patient’s neurocognitive tests and interpretations. If the INC confirms the team physician’s conclusion that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, the player-patient is considered cleared and may participate in his Club’s next game or practice.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm not sure how protocol works, but it seems they have been very cautious with him. I was pretty sure he wouldn't see preseason action when this first happened, and that's what happened. I bet he has been fine for weeks.

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Has to be.  

Nothing (as usual) thus far on the Bills Twitter page 

being in protocol excuses him from media...

this is a strategy move, especially if they embellished any or all of it...

• Haha (+1) 1

Timing for the injury could be a blessing.  This forced some rotational experience and learning during preseason, so we'll be in better shape in the scenario that he goes down during the regular season..  Plus they were able to take extra precautions and not rush him back for a meaningful game to hopefully reduce the risk of re-injury.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wonder why they wouldn’t want him to have to talk to the media though - 

look at what i said above:  i wasn't kidding

Mitch is a dude with values, lying, or even a 'truth avoidance' is a challenge, don't ask, don't tell.

• Like (+1) 1