Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not going to end Bobby no matter how dramatic you become.  Wait, maybe you're right.  Boxing and MMA are sports where your intentionally throw strikes at the head over and over and over again.....they don't exist anymore because of it.

The "game" as we know it will disappear, it wil take a while but the direction is obvious.

You are already having schools drop their programs in HS, no doubt some state like NY will outlaw public funds for football, too dangerous. Lawyers will get involved, former high school and university players will start suing.  The game will be legislated/sued to the point where the game will be unwatchable.

It will be an evolutionary process, the game will continue to be "de-risked".   As i wrote, it wil look like the pro bowl...to me unwatchable. 

Oh and by the way, how poplar is boxing now, it used to be one of the big three sports, Boxing Horse Racing and Baseball where the top three in the 30s.  Boxing you dont have "teams" to sue, you are effectively;y free agents, that is why boxing still exists.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're entire argument was "choice".  

Yeah it is a choice. 

And they will still still continue to make the choice to play. Just stop crying about your body hurting after the fact

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

The "game" as we know it will disappear, it wil take a while but the direction is obvious.

You are already having schools drop their programs in HS, no doubt some state like NY will outlaw public funds for football, too dangerous. Lawyers will get involved, former high school and university players will star suing.  The game will be legislated/sued to the point where the game will be unwatchable.

It will be an evolutionary process, the game will continue to be "de-risked".  

Oh and by the way, how poplar is boxing now, it used to be one of the big three sports, Boxing Horse Racing and Baseball where the top three in the 30s.  Boxing you dont have "teams" to sue, you are effectively;y free agents, that is why boxing still exists.

What's a team sport that doesn't exist anymore?

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They know the risks.  I knew the risks and still know the risks and I still put my head in situations where I can get a concussion.  

Like I said, I'm not crying myself to sleep at night because, especially today, they know more and more about the risks.  I view it as I appreciate them putting in the sacrifice for my entertainment.  I also was supporting of Andrew Luck's decision to retire.  

Right. I support Luck too. 

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You are already having schools drop their programs in HS, no doubt some state like NY will outlaw public funds for football, too dangerous. Lawyers will get involved, former high school and university players will star suing.  The game will be legislated/sued to the point where the game will be unwatchable.

It will be an evolutionary process, the game will continue to be "de-risked".  

Sorry Roy...I don't believe this.

MMA wouldn't be growing if that was the case.  This sport, you're intentionally trying to give someone a concussion.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

So basically, no one can complain about their job, no matter which industry, because it was their choice.  

They can complain. However if they stay that’s their choice isn’t it. 

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Off the top of my head jousting, gladiators and pro tennis...hopefully this cornhole phenomenon will be next.

I fail to grasp your point.

I'm sure you do.

The point is the the NFL isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Maybe in 100 years when everybody plays spaceball instead, but it won't be lawsuits that kill it and there will be no shortage of players when there's multi-million dollar salaries involved.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Should a coal miner sign this too?  

Does a coal miner claim that they didnt know they would have long term effects on their body in that line of work?

And if they did have to sign a waiver how many would sign it for that little paycheck they are getting and how many would move on.

You can try all you want about trying to Compare the 1% to coal miners.

Either way I am done with this.  Go get your 200K from the Settlement McClain and try not to "Force" your kids to play the same sport.

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Does a coal miner claim that they didnt know they would have long term effects on their body in that line of work?

You can literally google "Black Lung Lawsuits" and see all the results.  

There's Law firms dedicated literally to just this.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And if they did have to sign a waiver how many would sign it for that little paycheck they are getting and how many would move on.

You can try all you want about trying to Compare the 1% to coal miners

That does not matter since your entire argument is "their choice".

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You can try all you want about trying to Compare the 1% to coal miners

Um, yes- https://www.dol.gov/appeals/BLA_claimants.htm

And you were the one who compared NFL players to coal miners initially.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sorry Roy...I don't believe this.

MMA wouldn't be growing if that was the case.  This sport, you're intentionally trying to give someone a concussion.

Dont believe it.

MMA is like boxing,  as i said effectively the fighter is a  free agent ,you dont have billion dollar owners to sue  or you dont have billion dollar schools/states.

Football was almost outlawed by Teddy Roosevelt.  It has a target on it.  Once Schools become economically at risk you will see a mass exodus, the entire system will slowly collapse.

I would bet anyone football will be outlawed at public schools universitis by some state within the next 5 years.  And those legislators and SJWs that lead the charge will use the IDENTICAL arguments some of you are using it.  Only "poor" people play as they "have no other real choice" but  football.  It will also come under increasingly racial scrutiny.  96% white owner, 80% AA players with the white commissioner having the powers of God.  Yep, no problems with the optics there.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Um, yes- https://www.dol.gov/appeals/BLA_claimants.htm

And you were the one who compared NFL players to coal miners initially.

Ummmm no I really didnt.

Either way I am done with this.  Go get your 200K from the Settlement McClain and try not to "Force" your kids to play the same sport.

Edited by MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm sure you do.

The point is the the NFL isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Maybe in 100 years when everybody plays spaceball instead, but it won't be lawsuits that kill it and there will be no shortage of players when there's multi-million dollar salaries involved.

Yeah, yeah yeah.     They said that about the popularity of a lot of sports, where is horse racing today, almost non-existent?  That is close to be outlawed too with all the horse deaths this year.  Horse racing used to be one of the biggest sports in the US.  "Footba;ll" might be around but its popularity wil be down dramatically and the game for an "old school " guy like me it will be unwatchable.

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dont believe it.

MMA is like boxing,  as i said effectively the fighter is a  free agent ,you dont have billion dollar owners to sue  or you dont have billion dollar schools/states.

Football was almost outlawed by Teddy Roosevelt.  It has a target on it.  Once Schools become economically at risk you will see a mass exodus, the entire system will slowly collapse.

I would bet anyone football will be outlawed at public schools universitis by some state within the next 5 years.  And those legislators and SJWs that lead the charge will use the IDENTICAL arguments some of you are using it.  Only "poor" people play that "have no other real choice"  football.

Football was almost outlawed by Roosevelt because it was truly barbaric.  In 1905, 19 players died and many on the field.  This was also over 100 years ago and has grown since then.  I read an article of a writer who witness a player hemorrhaging to death on the field....

Roosevelt also started a committee to make the sport safer because he loved it.

The NFL is here to stick.  It's way too big and getting bigger.  The several hundred million dollars paid out a few years ago is a drop in the bucket to the conglomerate the NFL is.

They will continue to work on advancements with safety and it stay around.  

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/19-football-players-died-in-1905-but-calls-for-reform-1277528900

Body blows, producing internal injuries, were responsible for four deaths, concussion of the brain claimed six victims, injuries to the spine resulted fatally in three cases, blood poisoning carried off two gridiron warriors, and other injuries caused four deaths. Among the injuries that have not resulted fatally are: broken collar bones and shoulders, nineteen; broken legs, thirty-one; broken arms, nine; fractures to some portion of the head, nineteen; broken ribs, three; spinal injuries, three; concussion of the brain, three.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Can you explain how they found it in people that have never had a head injury?  They know it exists they just don’t know what the exact cause is. Could be head injuries could be something else. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Football was almost outlawed by Roosevelt because it was truly barbaric.  In 1905, 19 players died and many on the field.  This was also over 100 years ago and has grown since then.  I read an article of a writer who witness a player hemorrhaging to death on the field....

Roosevelt also started a committee to make the sport safer because he loved it.

The NFL is here to stick.  It's way too big and getting bigger.  The several hundred million dollars paid out a few years ago is a drop in the bucket to the conglomerate the NFL is.

They will continue to work on advancements with safety and it stay around.  

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/19-football-players-died-in-1905-but-calls-for-reform-1277528900

Body blows, producing internal injuries, were responsible for four deaths, concussion of the brain claimed six victims, injuries to the spine resulted fatally in three cases, blood poisoning carried off two gridiron warriors, and other injuries caused four deaths. Among the injuries that have not resulted fatally are: broken collar bones and shoulders, nineteen; broken legs, thirty-one; broken arms, nine; fractures to some portion of the head, nineteen; broken ribs, three; spinal injuries, three; concussion of the brain, three.

You might want to read closer to what I wrote, yes Footbal will exist but it wil continue to be  de-risked and to an old school like me, unwatchable.  As i wrote, there wil be football, it might look like the pro bowl but there will be football....just not the game as we currently know it.  

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Can you explain how they found it in people that have never had a head injury?  They know it exists they just don’t know what the exact cause is. Could be head injuries could be something else. 

You can get lung cancer without smoking too. Repetitive brain trauma is a fairly accepted contributing factor in CTE research today.

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ummmm no I really didnt.

You're right. That was another poster, my mistake.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I agree with all your points except the first sentence. It IS talked about a lot and it is currently a big deal.

Have you looked at the Mario Williams thread? It's NFLer goes crazy, the WR dude from the Lions who was breaking into houses or whatever it was - it gets talked about as dudes having a mental break and then it falls off the radar and on the the next story of Hill/Shady/AP beating their kid and then it goes on to a Cheat getting busted for something. 

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You might want to read closer to what I wrote, yes Footbal will exist but it wil continue to be  de-risked and to an old school like me, unwatchable.  As i wrote, there wil be football, it might look like the pro bowl but there will be football....just not the game as we currently know it.  

I still think it's going to be as big as it is today and probably bigger.  Anyone in the world can watch any game they want now from their cell phones to regular TV's.

I think it's just going to keep getting bigger and I think in the next 20 years, we'll probably add a few teams.

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well yeah that’s how science works. It’s probabilistic. Doesn’t mean you get to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and say welp! Can’t prove it definitively yet so nothing to see here! 

There is mounting evidence strongly suggesting that repeated head trauma does contribute to the onset of CTE.

I get that he wants help but the dude has made over 11 million playing football, which I would hope would assist him with getting quality medical care...he should, like probably go get help first...then worry about the NFL compensation.  I understand this is a serious issue but he should probably go to a doctor THEN take to social media.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah it is a choice. 

And they will still still continue to make the choice to play. Just stop crying about your body hurting after the fact

I keep hearing you saying that you have no sympathy for these former players who have traumatic head injuries because they knew what could happen.  That is about as cruel as a person can get.  If a person gets in a car wreck and goes paralyzed I guess you should have no sympathy because people should know there's a chance they could be in an accident and get hurt. You either have a heart or you don't and you sure don't. You are a passionate fan and I have seen many posts by you but you don't give 2 craps about the guys on the field, "sad".

4 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

I keep hearing you saying that you have no sympathy for these former players who have traumatic head injuries because they knew what could happen.  That is about as cruel as a person can get.  If a person gets in a car wreck and goes paralyzed I guess you should have no sympathy because people should know there's a chance they could be in an accident and get hurt. You either have a heart or you don't and you sure don't. You are a passionate fan and I have seen many posts by you but you don't give 2 craps about the guys on the field, "sad".

McClain made 11 million playing. Are you telling me he can't afford the care he needs?

Just now, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

After the fact no I really don't.  He stopped playing 6 years ago after making Millions.  Makes Money via a football camp.  So then goes on Twitter to complain because he is a FB it is taking to long or that he has to fill out paperwork?  Not to mention his Football Career allowed him to make companies. So what his solution is take to Twitter and go off on the same organization that will help him, but h has to follow procedures?  Or the Same organization that Gave him 11M to play a sport?  You right I dont give 2 craps about that, about a guy that made Millions playing a sport when....

22 Veterans a day are killing themselves suffering from the same issues, and NEVER seen a 10th of what he was paid.  Oooo the same people that could not have said No I am not going to fight this war without facing Prison. 

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

McClain made 11 million playing. Are you telling me he can't afford the care he needs?

I'm not even specifically talking about him and what he can or cannot afford. I'm plain and simply talking about having sympathy for people who had serious injuries and are disabled.  Justin Strzelzyk was a friend of mine and was a great guy.  I feel horrible for happened to him.  All that money he made means nothing because he is no longer with us.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

He's basically saying if you make a lot of money, you get no sympathy if you suffer in your life.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

I'm not even specifically talking about him and what he can or cannot afford. I'm plain and simply talking about having sympathy for people who had serious injuries and are disabled.  Justin Strzelzyk was a friend of mine and was a great guy.  I feel horrible for happened to him.  All that money he made means nothing because he is no longer with us.

Again it was his choice though.  I know it may sound cold and I am sorry it does.  But end of the day it is their choice on if they want to play a sport and bank the money that comes with that sport.  Many have and many will continue to walk away.  But a majority look at the cost benefit and continue to play.  And I am somehow supposed to be all broke up about it?  Sorry I am not, in a world where I don't know if my kids are going to get gunned down in school, if I am going to get blown up on an aircraft that I don't have sympathy for a millionaire upset about following the process.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

After the fact no I really don't.  He stopped playing 6 years ago after making Millions.  Makes Money via a football camp.  So then goes on Twitter to complain because he is a FB it is taking to long or that he has to fill out paperwork?  Not to mention his Football Career allowed him to make companies. So what his solution is take to Twitter and go off on the same organization that will help him, but h has to follow procedures?  Or the Same organization that Gave him 11M to play a sport?  You right I dont give 2 craps about that, about a guy that made Millions playing a sport when....

22 Veterans a day are killing themselves suffering from the same issues, and NEVER seen a 10th of what he was paid.  Oooo the same people that could not have said No I am not going to fight this war without facing Prison. 

You keep rooting for them on Sundays but not rooting for them once they retire; like I said very sad. And why you are bringing up the military is beyond me?  The military vets deserve so much more than they are receiving and no one is even arguing that.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

For those criticizing Andrew Luck for walking away early. Too many guys have long-tern CTE issues.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/retired-nfl-fullback-leron-mcclain-pleads-for-help-i-have-to-get-my-head-checked/ar-AAGjpTZ?ocid=ientp

..two words come to mind quickly...Junior Seau....RIP bud..............

• Like (+1) 2