Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

This should honestly be a bigger deal out there than it is. Current players and former players are definitely having issues. Back in the day before social media, it wasn't seen and rarely talked about; however with twitter, instagram, TMZ etc it is kinda hard to ignore this and not see it. This is a really big issue for not only the game, but for these affected players and their families. It's really sad to see and makes me question how I feel as a fan...

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This should honestly be a bigger deal out there than it is. Current players and former players are definitely having issues. Back in the day before social media, it wasn't seen and rarely talked about; however with twitter, instagram, TMZ etc it is kinda hard to ignore this and not see it. This is a really big issue for not only the game, but for these affected players and their families. It's really sad to see and makes me question how I feel as a fan...

Yeah...they laid their bodies on the line for our entertainment and put people in the seats for the owners....

Give them the help they need after their bodies don't work as well anymore.  Hell, even the Egyptians gave the workers who built the pyramid free beer at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

For those criticizing Andrew Luck for walking away early. Too many guys have long-tern CTE issues.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/retired-nfl-fullback-leron-mcclain-pleads-for-help-i-have-to-get-my-head-checked/ar-AAGjpTZ?ocid=ientp

What's really scary and sad about players who have these types of health issues related to the game is that there isn't much of a medical solution to help these plagued players. As you noted Andrew Luck was wise walking away from the game he love because of the series of injuries he sustained in his relatively short career. CTE issues get a lot of attention associated with playing the game, and it should. But what should also get a lot of attention is how permanently battered and scarred these players are for life when their careers are over with. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What's really scary and sad about players who have these types of health issues related to the game is that there isn't much of a medical solution to help these plagued players. As you noted Andrew Luck was wise walking away from the game he love because of the series of injuries he sustained in his relatively short career. CTE issues get a lot of attention associated with playing the game, and it should. But what should also get a lot of attention is how permanently battered and scarred these players are for life when their careers are over with. 

I get the desire to be sympathetic with these guys. But we're not talking about coal miners or steel workers injured on the job here.

We're talking about guys who voluntarily put their bodies out there to be wrecked in exchange for a LARGE paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very sad.

I dont think the NFL game as we currently know it wil be around in 20 years, wont be close.  It will be  like watching the pro bowls.  Sooner than that States are going to start outlawing high school football, former college players will start suing schools.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Their Choice to play. And we’re justly Compensated. They knew what they were signing up for. 

Harsh but true.  One might be able to say in years past the NFL hide it for years but current players are more than aware of the real risks.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I get the desire to be sympathetic with these guys. But we're not talking about coal miners or steel workers injured on the job here.

We're talking about guys who voluntarily put their bodies out there to be wrecked in exchange for a LARGE paycheck.

My father worked at Bethlehem Steel for 30 years, in the blast furnace, got lung cancer with all the iron ore and crap in the air.  There was no glorification of him working in 100 degree heat and outrageous compensation.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Considering how brief most of their careers are and the lasting injuries from it the money they received isn't as overwhelming as many believe it to be. Coal miners and steel workers also choose to do what they do and they also get injured on the job. When they do they have health benefits for the rest of their lives. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Considering how brief most of their careers are and the lasting injuries from it the money they received isn't as overwhelming as many believe it to be. Coal miners and steel workers also choose to do what they do and they also get injured on the job. When they do they have health benefits for the rest of their lives. 

Who walks into football not knowing the risks involved?

And also, the money's FAR more overwhelming than the average lifetime earnings of a coal miner.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hell, even the Egyptians gave the workers who built the pyramid free beer at the end of the day.

Yeah, but that *&#t was warm........

Not to make light of the CTE situation. It's real and it's not going away. I still am dumbfounded that NFL players don't have FULL lifetime healthcare. It's a crime.

Just now, JohnC said:

So doesnt these players.

Sorry I have ZERO Sympathy.  The CHOSE this life.  Could have ALWAYS made a different Carrer Choice right?

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when Timm Rosenbach admitted in an interview that he was scared dropping back because he didn't know which OL was going to give a free shot to a DL and end his career or his life.  Tom Jackson stopped just short of questioning his manhood, but it was clear he didn't respect Rosenbach at all for admitting it.  He said clearly, "You keep that to yourself".  Good for Luck , Barry Sanders, and anyone else who has enough manhood to walk away with their health instead of staying for just a few more Benjamins.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Seasons1992 said:

Not to make light of the CTE situation. It's real and it's not going away. I still am dumbfounded that NFL players don't have FULL lifetime healthcare. It's a crime.

Why?

Veterans DONT have full lifetime Healthcare why should football players?

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

3 years vested in the NFL the benefits blow away what my father got or a coal miner would get. plus they can for the next 50 years GET ANOTHER JOB.  

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/resource/nfl-benefits/

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Their Choice to play. And we’re justly Compensated. They knew what they were signing up for. 

The NFLPA sucessfully sued the league for suppressing evidence of brain damage caused by pro football, so no; they actually didn't know what they were signing up for.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Do NFL players receive any sort of retirement or benefits after they retire?  

If they don't...yeah it's a crime.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So doesnt these players.

Sorry I have ZERO Sympathy.  The CHOSE this life.  Could have ALWAYS made a different Carrer Choice right?

I think NFL players of past generations really had no idea of the possible CTE issues. However, there isn't a player on the field today (or even over the last 10 years or so) that is not aware of the potential long term health issues - and not just CTE.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GoBills808 said:

The NFLPA sucessfully sued the league for suppressing evidence of brain damage caused by pro football, so no; they actually didn't know what they were signing up for.

Sure so McClain that started playing NFL in 2007 didnt know that Headblows are not good for you?  Really THAT is what you are going with

• Like (+1) 2