McDermott to be fired?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The record is everything.?

Normally I would agree but not with this staff.  Just seems different with this group!  I don't see either of them in jeopardy for two years!  These guys are smart in doing their jobs and it would be a mistake to make changes even if they went 4-12.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Normally I would agree but not with this staff.  Just seems different with this group!  I don't see either of them in jeopardy for two years!  These guys are smart in doing their jobs and it would be a mistake to make changes even if they went 4-12.  

if they go 4-12, they are not as smart as you seem to think. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

McD and Beane have both created an amazing college like atmosphere that is catching on with all the players based on what we can see.  Regardless of record over the next few years you don't fire leaders who are doing what's best for the players, organization and fans in creating a winning atmosphere.   We should make a poll to help show our support of them!   Keep up the hard work and progress toward a Championship for all Bills fans.

Love what I'm seeming from this leadership!  

Go Bills!!!

It’s not high school football.  You need to win ultimately.  Dick Jauron had a nice atmosphere here.  7-9, I guess he’s fine.  6-10 or worse, barring a major injury, should really give some thought to changing the coach. 

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. 

I think their floor is 6. And even that would be a fireable offense for McDermott.

Keep hope alive, right?

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because Fox Sports is so much better!!! 

Step 1 on anything negative about the Bills, attack the credibility of the source.  

Step 2 completely misread what is being said.  

I don’t think there is anyway the Bills are going 4-12.  But if they do, why in the world would you keep McDermott?  People treat the guy like he’s the next Belichick here.  What innovative thighs has he shown that he can’t be replaced?

we aren’t going 4-12 so this is all moot.  McDermott is a nice guy but I haven’t really seen anything elite about his coaching style.  There are like 5 head coaches who matter in the NFL. 

Serious question.

What is elite coaching style? Record?

6 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Keep hope alive, right?

Serious question.

What is elite coaching style? Record?

I look at Sean McVay.  Took over a 4-12 team and they won 7 more games.  He took over a garbage offense and a qb people were calling a bust (why it’s so stupid to make concrete judgments about a qb after a year) and made it one of the best offenses in the nfl. 

I dont think there are many coaches who do this.  I’d put regular season Reid, Belichick obviously, and Sean Payton.  I think McDermott is a borderline great DC.  But he has been a disaster at fielding an offense and definitely has a very conservative coaching style.  Well he has his qb so there are no excuses. 

Additionally, I think how much of a step backwards it would be to start over with a new coach.  I think if hey hired an offensive head coach and kept a 4-3, I dont think there would be much if any steps back.  But hopefully this is all moot because SM does seem like a great guy.  But as the last Jauron defender on earth (the fact he got 7 wins out of that talent is amazing!), being a nice guy in the nfl only gets you so far.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MDH said:

Did any of you guys actually read what was linked? It doesn’t seem like it.

Burke used analytics to project the fate for every coach if their team went 4-12.”

That was the basis of the article. Not exactly a think piece or good journalism but it defiantly wasn’t stating that McD has a 73% chance of being fired.

Don’t let that get in the way of taking your torches and pitchforks up to ESPN castle though.

Well if analytics was involved it has to be true right?

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-most-likely-to-get-fired-after-disastrous-season-says-espn.html

The Hate is Real. 

Still, anticipation and expectations are at an all time post ‘99 high. What happens if our record is worse than last year? 

How far has ESPN fallen?

Lmao....in my opinion McDermott has gotten the most of the rosters he has had the past 2 seasons and is a damn good coach.

I'm expecting serious coach of the year consideration this year not getting fired.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I look at Sean McVay.  Took over a 4-12 team and they won 7 more games.  He took over a garbage offense and a qb people were calling a bust (why it’s so stupid to make concrete judgments about a qb after a year) and made it one of the best offenses in the nfl. 

I dont think there are many coaches who do this.  I’d put regular season Reid, Belichick obviously, and Sean Payton.  I think McDermott is a borderline great DC.  But he has been a disaster at fielding an offense and definitely has a very conservative coaching style.  Well he has his qb so there are no excuses. 

Additionally, I think how much of a step backwards it would be to start over with a new coach.  I think if hey hired an offensive head coach and kept a 4-3, I dont think there would be much if any steps back.  But hopefully this is all moot because SM does seem like a great guy.  But as the last Jauron defender on earth (the fact he got 7 wins out of that talent is amazing!), being a nice guy in the nfl only gets you so far.

No McVay took over an offense with a lot of talent that severely underperformed as did the team as a whole...

There is a big difference between underachieving and finishing 4-12 and finishing 6-10 and basically getting the most out of a very underwhelming offensive unit

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

Lmao....in my opinion McDermott has gotten the most of the rosters he has had the past 2 seasons and is a damn good coach.

I'm expecting serious coach of the year consideration this year not getting fired.

So did Dick Jauron and we extended him.  In hindsight, that was a mistake.  And a lot of those rosters’ issues were created by McBeane.

Another way to look at this, how many coaches have the Bills fired too early?  How many franchises would keep a coach with 3 losing seasons in 4 years?  Again, I think we should be 8-8 at worst but man, I missed this elite coaching performance so far.  

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So did Dick Jauron and we extended him.  In hindsight, that was a mistake.  And a lot of those rosters’ issues were created by McBeane.

Another way to look at this, how many coaches have the Bills fired too early?  How many franchises would keep a coach with 3 losing seasons in 4 years?  Again, I think we should be 8-8 at worst but man, I missed this elite coaching performance so far.  

Dick Jauron was just not a good coach...they played not to lose...they would have figured out a way to be 7-9 or 8-8 every year just about under him...

McD won't have 3 losing seasons no matter what after this year....he finished 9-7 and made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years with a terrible roster.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ummm...how many coaches finish 9-7 with his roster in year 1? Not very many.

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, Augie said:

When you take ESPN and add math, you get something worse than Lima beans. No thank you. 

I’m aghast at your contempt for the Best of all the Beans.

Insert ‘boiled, creamed cauliflour’ and we’d be in synch.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Dick Jauron was just not a good coach...they played not to lose...they would have figured out a way to be 7-9 or 8-8 every year just about under him...

McD won't have 3 losing seasons no matter what after this year....he finished 9-7 and made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years with a terrible roster.

Ummm...how many coaches finish 9-7 with his roster in year 1? Not very many.

The Bills have played not to lose under SM.  And I think we completely oversell how bad that first year’s roster was.  For his flaws, Tyrod was a solid game manager. MCCoy was one if the best rbs and they had a good oline.  And it took a miracle to make the playoffs.  

I want to see this great coach this year.  He has his hand selected qb so he should be more aggressive this year.  I’d love to see it. 

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

Man I was just about to tag this thread with that...but I didn't want Chandler to get his pantaloons in a bunch.:lol::nana:

What’s a poor TBD member to do when the mods adopt an “If you can’t beat them join them” approach to the offseason lunacy?  :blink: :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

He did the same analysis for every single team. Its pretty obvious that all teams can't go 4-12.  Its whats called a "what if". its a game. Games can be fun.  People that take games too seriously end up feeling badly a lot. 

I'm not feeling bad about his result, I just think the whole premise is nothing but mental "self-pleasuring."

(Edited because the second "M" word got turned into *****.)

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

IF the Bills go 4-12, the Pegulas have to consider firing McDermott.  This record is hard to see unless there are a lot of injuries.

I'm not sure how serious to take this article.  Take this line:

"Just trailing McDermott were former Bills head coach and current Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Marrone (71%) and first-year Dolphins coach Brian Flores (67%)."

The Dolphins want to tank, they expect to suck; 4-12 would be disappointing because it is too good to get the #1 overall draft pick in 2020.  This year is about planning for the future.  Flores is safe for a couple more years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1