McDermott to be fired?

On 8/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, ScottLaw said:

Yea his challenges are unbelievably bad at times. 

Blow out losses must be over and done with this year.

Honestly, if they are going to lose I prefer an early blowout. Let's me do other things on Sundays that I normally do. I'll check in from time to time but not as interested other than laughing at them. 

You're right about the challenges though. 

Edited by The Wiz

On 8/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, Chandler#81 said:

and undisciplined players, and blowout losses and 1-11 in challenges. 

Head (scratching) Coach. All the talk about Allen taking a big step this year is secondary to Sean taking a big step, imo.

Great post and well said.  You point out a few of the reason why this is a "prove it" year for McDermott and a lot more should be known about him as a head coach by the end of the season.  Some things to be optimistic about, while others to be concerned about; though I wonder if he is a Super Bowl caliber head coach...I'm not convinced and it will most likely take a couple more years to know for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, DCofNC said:

I'm not a believer in McD, not a downer.  I'm pumped for the season, hopeful the jump comes and we get to enjoy the post season in a real way this year.   My personal opinion is McD has done a hot pile of nothing so far.  He has continually struggled with clock management, in game decisions, challenges and in game adjustments ( though in theory we can blame coordinators for that, I still blame their boss for not calling for them).  He seems to be great at building a culture and reasonably good at defensive scheming, particularly with the secondary.  His incompetence in recognizing offensive talent lead to No Maholmes or Watson, Zay over Juju and leaves us still begging the question, is Allen THE man or are we looking at more mediocrity for the media to beat on? 

Taking over for Frazier to call D play calls at halftime comes to mind early last year, with immediate dividends paid. That’s not enough in-game adjustment for you? Or how about the fact that he never lost his team’s confidence/control, despite early season blowouts (due in no small part to scotch taped offense), with the team actually bouncing back quite nicely down the stretch? At the same time saddled with 50+ mill of dead cap $$ hamstringing the roster quality? Who would’ve done a better job under those thankless circumstances? Who? Sure he started NP—most of the board would’ve too, based on his Thursday All-American performances in the preseason where he frankly played so lights out he had to be the starter. The dude won a 3-way QB competition fair and square. The fact he wilted when the lights clicked on was dealt with quickly and the regime has owned its mistakes. For my money McD has done remarkably well with what he’s been given, he’s developed talent from the unlikeliest sources and we are poised for greatness now as a result of everything that’s led up to this point. 

On 8/21/2019 at 10:12 AM, ScottLaw said:

Yea his challenges are unbelievably bad at times. 

Blow out losses must be over and done with this year.

They've looked totally unprepared in some of the blowouts, but what's really required when things start horribly is a quarterback able to stem the tide. I actually liked Tyrod, but he was not a "rally" QB. Allen didn't demonstrate that quality as a ROOKIE. We haven't had that kind of play from the position..yet. If Allen is legit, I think we'll see more come from behind victories and fewer games that completely get away. IF.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think he is on the hot seat assuming they win several games.

But I do think this season is all on him.  No more excuses.  No more he inherited this or that.

He will get a 4th year but if they only win 7 or 8 in 2020 I can see him being shown the door. 

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

He will get a 4th year but if they only win 7 or 8 in 2020 I can see him being shown the door. 

Uh yeah. I can't imagine anyone finding 7 or 8 wins THIS season acceptable, let alone next, but he'll probably get another year either way. If they win 7 or 8 games in 2020, it's time for a complete overhaul. 

It's great that these guys have an organized desk and appear to have a plan, but results are the only thing that matters. Regardless of how prepared a guy looks in an office, if he's not making sales/deals/etc., nobody cares. You get a job by looking/acting/seeming the part. You KEEP a job by PRODUCING.