Jump to content
Phil The Thrill

Why Was Jim Kelly “QB Bills” in Tecmo Super Bowl?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

One of my early football memories was playing Tecmo Super Bowl on my NES.  As a Bills fan I always wondered why Jim Kelly was QB Bills.

 

I later looked it up and apparently he was not listed because Kelly was not a member of the NFLPA at the time the deal with Tecmo was made.  The same situation with Bernie “QB Browns” Kosar and Randall “QB Eagles” Cunningham.

 

Also I remember a few year later that all the big QB’s in the league (including Kelly, Kosar and Cunningham) we’re trying to start their own brand The QB Club and sold merch like hats, t-shirts, and a few kind of crappy video games. 

 

My question is was the deal with Kelly and he NFLPA?  Why was he not a member in 1991 and was the attempt to start the QB Club a way to get merchandising without having the NFLPA (and maybe the NFL) taking their cut?  

 

I was not following NFL closely at this time so if you could let me know it would be great!

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three high-profile quarterbacks weren’t members of the NFLPA when TSB was being made, so they couldn’t be included in the game; however, Tecmo knew of their real-life ability and fan popularity, so they cleverly came up with a way to include them anyway. Randall Cunningham is listed as QB Eagles, Jim Kelly is listed as QB Bills, and Bernie Kosar is listed as QB Browns. 

 

Interestingly, Kosar appears in Tecmo Bowl, but not TSB. Also, Eric Dickerson is in Tecmo Bowl listed with the truncated name “Dicker,” but when TSB was being made he had a gripe with the NFLPA about not getting enough cash for his likeness, so he’s not in TSB. It is unknown why Tecmo didn’t apply a generic name such as RB Colts for Dickerson, like they did with the above trio of QBs. Hilariously, according to dictionary.com, “dicker” means “to deal, swap, or trade with petty bargaining.”

Side note:  The number of star-studded clubs with which you could pile up points made it difficult to choose just one. TSB project manager Hidehisa Yamaguchi, who also worked as a programmer on Tecmo Bowl, said via email that the best all-around squad was a certain perennial Super Bowl runner-up. Don Beebe, a speedy receiver on those loaded Bills teams of the ’90s, told me that when his brothers squared off in Tecmo Super Bowl, they bickered over who’d get to pick Buffalo.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Three high-profile quarterbacks weren’t members of the NFLPA when TSB was being made, so they couldn’t be included in the game; however, Tecmo knew of their real-life ability and fan popularity, so they cleverly came up with a way to include them anyway. Randall Cunningham is listed as QB Eagles, Jim Kelly is listed as QB Bills, and Bernie Kosar is listed as QB Browns. 

 

Interestingly, Kosar appears in Tecmo Bowl, but not TSB. Also, Eric Dickerson is in Tecmo Bowl listed with the truncated name “Dicker,” but when TSB was being made he had a gripe with the NFLPA about not getting enough cash for his likeness, so he’s not in TSB. It is unknown why Tecmo didn’t apply a generic name such as RB Colts for Dickerson, like they did with the above trio of QBs. Hilariously, according to dictionary.com, “dicker” means “to deal, swap, or trade with petty bargaining.”

Side note:  The number of star-studded clubs with which you could pile up points made it difficult to choose just one. TSB project manager Hidehisa Yamaguchi, who also worked as a programmer on Tecmo Bowl, said via email that the best all-around squad was a certain perennial Super Bowl runner-up. Don Beebe, a speedy receiver on those loaded Bills teams of the ’90s, told me that when his brothers squared off in Tecmo Super Bowl, they bickered over who’d get to pick Buffalo.

 

Interesting about Dickerson I never noticed that he isn’t in TSB but he is in STB on snes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 49ers were by far the best team they had Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, And on defense they had Ronnie Lott. Lott was what we called the “touch tackle defense”. Most times playing the game, when tackling you got locked up with a defender and whoever lashed the buttons the fastest won the battle. Lott was a super cheat. All you had to do was touch the player and they were instantly tackled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

QB Eagles was good too 

Could pick the exact pass play that was going to be ran and he was the only qb that could STILL outrun the rush. You just needed enough field behind you to drop back and avoid the initial onslaught. 

 

I have a cleaned up functioning NES and that game and to this day if I have a couple of old buddies over we fire it up and there’s one buddy in particular that we won’t let use the Eagles because he was so good with Randall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Three high-profile quarterbacks weren’t members of the NFLPA when TSB was being made, so they couldn’t be included in the game; however, Tecmo knew of their real-life ability and fan popularity, so they cleverly came up with a way to include them anyway. Randall Cunningham is listed as QB Eagles, Jim Kelly is listed as QB Bills, and Bernie Kosar is listed as QB Browns. 

 

Interestingly, Kosar appears in Tecmo Bowl, but not TSB. Also, Eric Dickerson is in Tecmo Bowl listed with the truncated name “Dicker,” but when TSB was being made he had a gripe with the NFLPA about not getting enough cash for his likeness, so he’s not in TSB. It is unknown why Tecmo didn’t apply a generic name such as RB Colts for Dickerson, like they did with the above trio of QBs. Hilariously, according to dictionary.com, “dicker” means “to deal, swap, or trade with petty bargaining.”

Side note:  The number of star-studded clubs with which you could pile up points made it difficult to choose just one. TSB project manager Hidehisa Yamaguchi, who also worked as a programmer on Tecmo Bowl, said via email that the best all-around squad was a certain perennial Super Bowl runner-up. Don Beebe, a speedy receiver on those loaded Bills teams of the ’90s, told me that when his brothers squared off in Tecmo Super Bowl, they bickered over who’d get to pick Buffalo.

 

Very cool but why were they not members of the NFLPA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

 

Very cool but why were they not members of the NFLPA?

 

I'd say they were supporting players who were getting suspensions for unnecessarily hurting other players except back then they did not do it so much. 

 

Only happened after Troy Vincent joined NFLPA as officer which is interesting since the supposed "freak accident" Losman had was after Vincent reportedly told the rookie QB he was "uppity".    He talked against spending money protecting players outside of football games like T*m "I like soft balls" Br*dy.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Giants were nasty, too. Ottis killing guys on offense and LT doing dirty work with a dirty smirk on defense. Dude was fake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won’t answer the OP’s question unfortunately, but just had to LAMP a bit and say the tecmo franchise provided me with some of my fav childhood video game  memories of all time—and yes, the Bills were basically unstoppable by physical means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was Gale Gilbert.

 

the bills were so good, they were off limits when we played.  I miss that.  😞. My go to were the Houston Oilers.  I love the run and shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bunch of QB’s -Kelly, Marino, Elway, Moon, Aikman, etc. formed the group for a specific video game where they received royalties. I don’t recall that they had to leave the NFLPA to do it, though they may have had to.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Quarterback_Club

 

IIRC, they marketed other things to, like figurines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is great. I was always the Chiefs - Christian Okoye forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In Tecmo Super Bowl,  try to go through a season and win the super bowl as the Patriots.  They were so bad back then.  Steve Grogan throws nice floater passes. lol

Edited by Azucho98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

49ers as a whole where beast. Bo, if you knew how to run well was unstoppable in that game even if you called the right play. 

 

 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Also I remember a few year later that all the big QB’s in the league (including Kelly, Kosar and Cunningham) we’re trying to start their own brand The QB Club and sold merch like hats, t-shirts, and a few kind of crappy video games

 

 

Tecmo Bowl was epic, but those 16 and 64 bit QB Club games were great, too! 

 

There's a newer version of Tecmo on XBOX Live called Tecmo Bowl Throwback (I was actually playing just yesterday). It looks like a remake of the Super Tecmo Bowl version, but there's a feature that allows you to switch to modern graphics whenever you want, including mid-play. You can also play head to head online. Unfortunately the Madden franchise has had exclusive rights for years, so there hasn't been a game with player likeness since probably the 2K series. Buffalo kind of sucks on this game, and their logo is a feather, but still a fun game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Three high-profile quarterbacks weren’t members of the NFLPA when TSB was being made, so they couldn’t be included in the game; however, Tecmo knew of their real-life ability and fan popularity, so they cleverly came up with a way to include them anyway. Randall Cunningham is listed as QB Eagles, Jim Kelly is listed as QB Bills, and Bernie Kosar is listed as QB Browns. 

 

Interestingly, Kosar appears in Tecmo Bowl, but not TSB. Also, Eric Dickerson is in Tecmo Bowl listed with the truncated name “Dicker,” but when TSB was being made he had a gripe with the NFLPA about not getting enough cash for his likeness, so he’s not in TSB. It is unknown why Tecmo didn’t apply a generic name such as RB Colts for Dickerson, like they did with the above trio of QBs. Hilariously, according to dictionary.com, “dicker” means “to deal, swap, or trade with petty bargaining.”

Side note:  The number of star-studded clubs with which you could pile up points made it difficult to choose just one. TSB project manager Hidehisa Yamaguchi, who also worked as a programmer on Tecmo Bowl, said via email that the best all-around squad was a certain perennial Super Bowl runner-up. Don Beebe, a speedy receiver on those loaded Bills teams of the ’90s, told me that when his brothers squared off in Tecmo Super Bowl, they bickered over who’d get to pick Buffalo.

It would be nice if you referenced the source you took this from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mrags said:

The 49ers were by far the best team they had Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, And on defense they had Ronnie Lott. Lott was what we called the “touch tackle defense”. Most times playing the game, when tackling you got locked up with a defender and whoever lashed the buttons the fastest won the battle. Lott was a super cheat. All you had to do was touch the player and they were instantly tackled. 

 

Raiders with Bo. Sweep play, then zig-zag your way down the field. TD every time. Absolutely unstoppable.

 

 

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Raiders with Bo. Sweep play, then zig-zag your way down the field. TD every time. Absolutely unstoppable.

 

 

That too. I remember as a kid I started and finished seasons with every single team. White/typed up final stats and everything. A few things I remember with certain teams. 

 

Raiders- I finished with over 3,000 yards without Bo and another 2,000 yards with Allen. 

 

Bills- I had over 70-80 sacks with Bruce

 

49ers- I had ridiculous passing numbers with Montana. Receiving numbers with Rice. And my greatest feat, I finished the season with allowing less than 1,000 yards total offense with my defense. For the whole season. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same reason he didnt have football trading cards for a few years. Pro Set said screw it and went ahead anyway and made a Kelly but stamped the back different as it didnt have NFLPA rights - there are a few diff 91 versions. Starting lineups were haulted for a couple years too. He was in the qb club though so proline and dominos cards were ok. This is the reason you used to get blank jererys in the 80s and 90s at retail as well. No rights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Same reason he didnt have football trading cards for a few years. Pro Set said screw it and went ahead anyway and made a Kelly but stamped the back different as it didnt have NFLPA rights - there are a few diff 91 versions. Starting lineups were haulted for a couple years too. He was in the qb club though so proline and dominos cards were ok. This is the reason you used to get blank jererys in the 80s and 90s at retail as well. No rights

 

Wow....but what I don't understand is why Kelly was only 1 of 3 players who weren’t part of the NFLPA.  

 

It makes me wonder why.  Also I thought you had to join as a player. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

That too. I remember as a kid I started and finished seasons with every single team. White/typed up final stats and everything. A few things I remember with certain teams. 

 

Raiders- I finished with over 3,000 yards without Bo and another 2,000 yards with Allen. 

 

Bills- I had over 70-80 sacks with Bruce

 

49ers- I had ridiculous passing numbers with Montana. Receiving numbers with Rice. And my greatest feat, I finished the season with allowing less than 1,000 yards total offense with my defense. For the whole season. 

 

 

 

One my favorite (no Bills) teams were the Houston Oilers.  Awesome QB on Moon and I love the run-and-shoot group of 4 WR’s Jefferies, Givens, Drew Hill, and Curtis Duncan.

 

Also Leonard White was like a smaller Okoye and he was an awesome pass catcher 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the same Quarterback Club later made by Acclaim, then that game was great. Quarterback Club 98 and 99 were supposed to be better than the Madden games at the time. Plus they had the entire NFL rosters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an NES classic mini & found instructions online to hack it & add more games. I recently got a 2019 version of Tecmo Super Bowl on it. It's awesome playing my favorite game from my youth as Josh Allen. Oliver is a stud too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...