Why Was Jim Kelly “QB Bills” in Tecmo Super Bowl?

On 8/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

One of my early football memories was playing Tecmo Super Bowl on my NES.  As a Bills fan I always wondered why Jim Kelly was QB Bills.

I later looked it up and apparently he was not listed because Kelly was not a member of the NFLPA at the time the deal with Tecmo was made.  The same situation with Bernie “QB Browns” Kosar and Randall “QB Eagles” Cunningham.

Also I remember a few year later that all the big QB’s in the league (including Kelly, Kosar and Cunningham) we’re trying to start their own brand The QB Club and sold merch like hats, t-shirts, and a few kind of crappy video games. 

My question is was the deal with Kelly and he NFLPA?  Why was he not a member in 1991 and was the attempt to start the QB Club a way to get merchandising without having the NFLPA (and maybe the NFL) taking their cut?  

I was not following NFL closely at this time so if you could let me know it would be great!

Jim Kelly wasn't QB Bills.

I was.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, Teddy KGB said:

QB Eagles was good too 

I played eith the Eagles and my buddy used the Raiders growing up...i remember many ?"make all 11 players on D" miss multiple times scrambled with Cunningham and him with Bo Jackson...

One of my most vivid memories growing up that we still talk about to this day was us facing off in the super bowl and i had the ball on the 2 yard line with 3 seconds left in the 4th quarter down 21-17. I gave the ball to Heth Sherman and he fumbled at the 1 and i ended up losing...i was so pissed i flung the controller and made a hole in his wall hahahaha...

If my memory is right, Jim Kelley started the QB Club and some of those players had their own deals in place that prevent Tecmo from using their likeness and names in the game.